Napa gold fuel filter just cost me $100 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Maintenance Discuss scheduled maintenace, capacities, filter part numbers, etc.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 06:14 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Napa gold fuel filter just cost me $100

So not knowing any better I went to my local napa and picked up a fuel filter without hesitation. It rode under the back seat for a couple weeks until I got time to change it, whch is today. I already had the passenger side wheel liner pulled halfway off to drain the coolant(which really makes a terrible mess by the way) and looked up and said hey this is a great time to change that fuel filter! this should take about 3 minutes! So I took the old filter off and threw it in the trash, got the new filter out from under the back seat and opened the box...what the hell is this plastic crap? Oh well they don't make things like they used to. went to put the wif sensor in and had to wrench it the whole way on! The threads must have been cut wrong or something because it spun right out of the filter that I took off(which said ac delco on it by the way) anyway I finally got it screwed in there and spun it onto the housing...primed it up and bled it and checked for leaks...guess what...it leaks! Apparently I had to use so much force to get the sensor screwed in that I deformed the sealing surface. So I tried to unscrew my sensor and in doing so it cracked. Luckily the wife was already in town and I had her go to the dealer and get a new filter and sensor. I will install it in the morning. Congrats napa you lost a customer when it comes to fuel filters.
2007 Chevy 2500HD CLASSIC LBZ crew cab long bed LT 4X4 EFI Live by ATP...stock, heavy tow with brake, light tow with brake, street/economy, FUN 120HP ...MBRP 4" downpipe back with muffler, Edge CTS for gauges and edge expandable EGT probe, ppe frprv shim kit, egr race plate ADII 165, Transgo Jr. ,ATP tie rod sleeves , 118k miles(and counting), 265/75/16 tires pyo wheels, B&W hitch with companion, prodigy P3, husky liners front and back, Lund running boards, garmin50lm
Rumpeltiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2012, 06:22 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Banned

I wouldnt say its napas fault, since you installed them incorrectly. If you have to wrench it on, theres your first problem. Ive never had an issue.

GM went away form the metal filters due to water rusting inside of the metal canister between the filter element.

Or, heres a thought.

Cat filter and adapter. Filter is under 20 bucks and adapter is 80ish. Dont freak out when you look att the cost of a WIF sensor from the dealer
Hondarider552 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 09:25 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

This was YOUR fault for installing it incorrectly. Nothing wrong with the filter. You should never have to wrench the thing on. HAND TIGHT. The only thing you should have to LIGHTLY snug with a wrench would be the WIF sensor but I mean LIGHTLY snug. I've been runing NAPA Gold filters for years and never a problem. They have good stuff that meets or exceeds the manufacture recommendations.

2008 GMC 2500 D-Max Crew Cab Long Bed Z71 100% Stock
Real trucks don't need stacks
RyanZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 09:27 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

I agree with the adapter and CAT filter
2004 Chevy DRW 4X4 crew cab LB7, Nicktane with Cat filter, Silverline 5" exhaust straight pipe dumped with 6" tip, ported turbo horn, PPE Boost Valve, Ranch hand bumper on the front and custom hauler bed on the back with 108 gallon transfer tank, Edge CTS, EFI live, FASS sittin on Ultra phantom's

DRW CLUB MEMBER #118

3rd Coast Diesels founder

"I'd rather be a fence post in Texas than the king of Tennessee" - Chris Wall
Dboonetx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 09:44 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

i agree , you can't beat NAPA for parts, better quality than most
NO OTHER ALTERATIONS
:rockin
bclindzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 10:45 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

I've been running the plastic napa filters since I bought my truck. Never had a problem with em!

Sent from my Autoguide app.
5" DE, rerouted, debadged, demolded, air dog, stock fuel

Big thanks, Duramaxtuner.com & Kory Willis @ PPEI
TakeEm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 11:38 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Really ur gonna blame napa. It has a o ring on it so obviously the threads are not the sealing surface and should not be tight.

You my friend should pay someone to work on your truck for you.
4" Diamond Eye Duals, BD manifold
Ported mouthpeice, Transfercase saver
265/75's pullin 14k

my tranny loves me!!!!!!!!!
the freeze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 02:02 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Yep i agree with everyone, u cross threaded the the sensor and broke it, I work for Napa, wix makes our filters, and i seel these all the time, also install my own and have never had a problem with them.
06 RCLB Sierra 2500HD LBZ 4x4, 8ft Meyer/Diamond EZ Mount II,ats e power 120hp, rerouted PCV, egr blocker, finger stick, 4'' straightpiped exhaust,no kitty,afe metal power intake, tints, dee zee nerf bars, timbrens in the front

Old Truck
05 2500HD RCLB 2WD LLY
AFE MP, S&B Intake, ATS E power 120hp, 6" black stack , Blocked resonator, rerouted PCV
BadDmax51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 02:09 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
I'm That Guy...

This isn't Napa's fault, but I wouldn't run a Napa filter either.

CLICK TO READ: FORUM RULES OR DF STAFF!

Thank you Rob Coddens (Idaho Rob), Dustin @ ATP, Scott @ SDP, Kory Willis, and Mike L. for all of your help!

05 LLY CCSB 4wd - Mods coming (Truck Love from ATP Trucks and Copperhead Diesel expected soon)
SOLD: 05 LLY, 05 LLY, 09 LMM, 02 LB7

Build Threads : 2005 Chevy Silverado | 1978 Ford Bronco (Sister Site)
TDFDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 02:14 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

What is every one paying for their napa fuel filter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.