Trans fluid & filter - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Maintenance Discuss scheduled maintenace, capacities, filter part numbers, etc.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 01:50 PM   eBay Motors  #11 (permalink)
Discount Diesel Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhornsun View Post
The ONLY time Allision recommends changing the internal filter is during an overhaul of the transmission.
That is correct however that being said Allison doesn't do ANY warranty work on these transmissions in the gm pick up truck platform GM does it all. I have talked to Allison professionals that told me they would never go more than 100k miles without changing the internal filter based on what they have seen first hand. With an internal filter costing 26.95 its kind of cheap insurance and to schedule the filter change with a fluid change is a prudent thing to do in my opinion but that is just me and the anal side of me wanting to protect my 50k dollar truck for as long as possible. As I always say to people do your research settle on what you are comfortable with and stick to it!
Amsoil Distributor #1466322
Exhaust Systems, Down Pipes, CAI, EFI Live
Authorized Nicktane Dealer, Filters
EZ Oil Drain Valves, Fuel Filter Access Doors
Your Satisfaction is Our Satisfaction!
Dirtbikindad393 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 04:19 PM   eBay Motors  #12 (permalink)

What have these people seen first hand and do they know if it is not the result of the owners using performance tuning chips that upped the horsepower output from the engines?

A lot of the blown Allisons with the earlier trucks is from people boosting the HP by 150 and the stock transmissions were not built to take it.
elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 07:05 PM   eBay Motors  #13 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Stay with a 100hp stock trans safe EFI live tune not a junk PPE or Bully dog and you'll be fine. Don't use the 100hp and beat on it daily or stay WOT from 4-5 and it'll be fine. What's worse for it is switching tunes over and over and not letting the trans learn before dogging on it.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
*EFI DSP5 By: PPEI *DE Downpipe & 5" Dump *ARP Studded *Pro-Fab Deleted *Custom Re-Routed *Alligator FPRV Plugged *DHD Braced & MA Sleeved *20x12 -44's *305/55/20 Terra Graps *LBZ MP, Intake & FPR *Kleinn Horns & On-Board Air *Paramount Restyling Grill *MA Pump Rub & M1 5w-30 *All-On Mod *Maintained

Willie @ Synthetic Motorsports
Kory @ PPEI
Eric @ Merchant Automotive
Jason @ Alligator Performance
e46_330i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 11:00 AM   eBay Motors  #14 (permalink)
Discount Diesel Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhornsun View Post
What have these people seen first hand and do they know if it is not the result of the owners using performance tuning chips that upped the horsepower output from the engines?

A lot of the blown Allisons with the earlier trucks is from people boosting the HP by 150 and the stock transmissions were not built to take it.
They do not equate it to running power or not they equate it to build up internally from old fluid or lack of spin-on changes or both. I would say if you want a definitive answer ask Mike L what he would do in his personal truck and that should tell you what you should do.
Amsoil Distributor #1466322
Exhaust Systems, Down Pipes, CAI, EFI Live
Authorized Nicktane Dealer, Filters
EZ Oil Drain Valves, Fuel Filter Access Doors
Your Satisfaction is Our Satisfaction!
Dirtbikindad393 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 08:57 AM   eBay Motors  #15 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Just bought 2007 not sure what's in the tranny can I drain pan change filter an put possibly a better fluid in it and what's the best to use
Moose56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 09:09 AM   eBay Motors  #16 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose56 View Post
Just bought 2007 not sure what's in the tranny can I drain pan change filter an put possibly a better fluid in it and what's the best to use
Stop posting in every thread and making threads no one can understand. Transynd is the best fluid. You can find that out by using google search.
*EFI DSP5 By: PPEI *DE Downpipe & 5" Dump *ARP Studded *Pro-Fab Deleted *Custom Re-Routed *Alligator FPRV Plugged *DHD Braced & MA Sleeved *20x12 -44's *305/55/20 Terra Graps *LBZ MP, Intake & FPR *Kleinn Horns & On-Board Air *Paramount Restyling Grill *MA Pump Rub & M1 5w-30 *All-On Mod *Maintained

Willie @ Synthetic Motorsports
Kory @ PPEI
Eric @ Merchant Automotive
Jason @ Alligator Performance
e46_330i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.