Trans fluid & filter - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Maintenance Discuss scheduled maintenace, capacities, filter part numbers, etc.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2012, 10:08 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4
Trans fluid & filter

When should I change my trans filter and how often should a fluid change happen?
prodhair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-20-2012, 10:29 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast
 
e46_330i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Youngsville/Wake Forest
Posts: 4,047
Try searching. Different strokes for different folks. Depends on what you use your truck for, how you drive it, etc. I'd do fluid every 15k and spin on then too. Drop the pan every 50k or so.
__________________
LLY CCSB SLT 4x4
*EFI DSP5 By: PPEI *DE Downpipe & 5" Dump *ARP Studded *Pro-Fab Deleted *Custom Re-Routed *Alligator FPRV Plugged *DHD Braced & MA Sleeved *20x12 -44's *305/55/20 Terra Graps *LBZ MP, Intake & FPR *Kleinn Horns & On-Board Air *Paramount Restyling Grill *MA Pump Rub & M1 5w-30 *All-On Mod *Maintained

Willie @ Synthetic Motorsports
Kory @ PPEI
Eric @ Merchant Automotive
Jason @ Alligator Performance
e46_330i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2012, 02:39 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic
 
HD Dmax Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Down By The River
Posts: 7,287
If you use the conventional Dex 6 (IMO) drain/change spin on filter every 25K miles.
Most change the spin on filter every 10-15K miles.
Now switch over to Allison Transynd fluid (or an Allison approved TES 295 fluid) & you can go 4 years or 100K miles (whichever comes 1st) for drain intervals.
The internal filter they say no need to change unless the trans is being rebuilt.

I use Allison Transynd fluid & follow the Allison drain intervals (4 years or 100K miles which ever comes 1st.)
I change the spin on filter every 10K miles, & internal filter every 100K miles.
__________________

2009 GMC 2500HD SLE CC/SB 4x4 LMM
EFI Live, Edge Insight CTS, EGR disabled, Flo~Pro 4" exhaust w/ muffler & stock trumpet tip, Pacer LED NBS cab lights, Putco yellow bulb fog lights, GM under tailgate dually light bar, Footwell lights, Cobra 29 WXNWST CB radio, Kenwood speakers, Tinted windows, GM chrome oval running boards, WIF sensor delete plug, Fumoto oil drain valve, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Michelin M/S2, PY0 wheels, Rubber mud flaps, Curt class IV hitch, Wilson 2000 CB antenna

2000 Silverado 1500 LS RC/LB 4x2 4.8L (Whoopty/Work Truck)

Last edited by HD Dmax Machine; 10-20-2012 at 06:24 PM.
HD Dmax Machine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 10:00 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 512
It depends upon both the type used, TES 295 or TES 389 fluid, and the duty cycle. Heavy duty cycle or "severe" as when towing most of the time or hauling heavy loads in hilly terrain or off road use changes TES 389 change interval recommended by Allison from 50k miles to as little as 12k miles or 6 months. General duty cycle with TES 295 fluid and the change interval can be as great as 150k miles or every 48 months.

The OEM fluid and that used by the GM/Chevy dealers is the TES 389 grade fluid and I change the fluid and filter every 25k miles as 50% of the time my truck is used under what qualify as severe use. Once the truck is out of warranty I will switch to a TES 295 fluid and change the fluid every 75k to 100k miles based on test results.
elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 10:15 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
Ask one to be one
 
usafracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: North Pole AK
Posts: 5,633
50K on the fluid and 10K on the spin on filter.
__________________
Marty

2010 GMC Sierra CC SB 4X4 Cognito 6" lift and 315/70/17 ATP Tuned!!

2008 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 4X4 (wifes) Zone lift set close to 4" 305/70/17's Hankook Dyna Pro RF-10 ATM
usafracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 10:37 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4
Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhornsun View Post
It depends upon both the type used, TES 295 or TES 389 fluid, and the duty cycle. Heavy duty cycle or "severe" as when towing most of the time or hauling heavy loads in hilly terrain or off road use changes TES 389 change interval recommended by Allison from 50k miles to as little as 12k miles or 6 months. General duty cycle with TES 295 fluid and the change interval can be as great as 150k miles or every 48 months.

The OEM fluid and that used by the GM/Chevy dealers is the TES 389 grade fluid and I change the fluid and filter every 25k miles as 50% of the time my truck is used under what qualify as severe use. Once the truck is out of warranty I will switch to a TES 295 fluid and change the fluid every 75k to 100k miles based on test results.
I am at 48K right now and changed filter at 45K. I will have fluid changed before 50K, since I am an ocasional recreational RV hauler.
prodhair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 03:11 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
Discount Diesel Parts
 
Dirtbikindad393's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: So Calif.
Posts: 2,990
HD Dmax is pretty on the head with what we recommend. In my personal truck I change the spin-on every 15k miles and the fluid (full synthetic) every 50k miles. I do tow heavy quite a bit 20-30 weekends per year. I also change my diffs every 50k miles as well. I run a deep PPE pan on the trans and rear end. Just to clarify The part about 4 years and 100k miles is only after the trans is changed over 100% to synthetic fluids and if you tow heavy (severe service) like I do they recommend shortening that interval. I say if you are towing rv trailers 5-10 times per year think about 75k miles on the fluid change. more than that 50k. We do the internal filter every 100k even though Allison says never unless you need a rebuild. Fluids and filters are cheaper than rebuilds in our opinion.

We sell the Transynd/Amsoil Torque Drive fluids and Allison branded spin-on filters so that is what we use on our personal trucks. We have a package deal that si 2 gals fluid and 1 spin-on for those wanting to start the process in changing over to synthetic fluids such as Transynd or Torque Drive.

Allison Maint Package
__________________
WWW.MADJACKDIESEL.COM
My Truck "Radio Flyer" 2013 Chevy CCLB 4X4 Victory Red
Email us or Call us 855-MAD-JACK
Amsoil Distributor #1466322
Exhaust Systems, Down Pipes, CAI, EFI Live
Authorized Nicktane Dealer, Filters
EZ Oil Drain Valves, Fuel Filter Access Doors
Your Satisfaction is Our Satisfaction!
Dirtbikindad393 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 03:20 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
jkings27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Owings, MD
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbikindad393 View Post
HD Dmax is pretty on the head with what we recommend. In my personal truck I change the spin-on every 15k miles and the fluid (full synthetic) every 50k miles. I do tow heavy quite a bit 20-30 weekends per year. I also change my diffs every 50k miles as well. I run a deep PPE pan on the trans and rear end. Just to clarify The part about 4 years and 100k miles is only after the trans is changed over 100% to synthetic fluids and if you tow heavy (severe service) like I do they recommend shortening that interval. I say if you are towing rv trailers 5-10 times per year think about 75k miles on the fluid change. more than that 50k. We do the internal filter every 100k even though Allison says never unless you need a rebuild. Fluids and filters are cheaper than rebuilds in our opinion.

We sell the Transynd/Amsoil Torque Drive fluids and Allison branded spin-on filters so that is what we use on our personal trucks. We have a package deal that si 2 gals fluid and 1 spin-on for those wanting to start the process in changing over to synthetic fluids such as Transynd or Torque Drive.

Allison Maint Package
thinking about pulling the trigger on this.. just to be ceatin, the spin on is included in the package right?? meaning i do not need to add one from the drop down menu at the bottom of the page??
__________________
2005 GMC LLY CCSB
EFI Live DSP5 from ATP
Edge Insight CTS - 5" diamond eye exhaust with 6" tip - PCV reroute and resonator plugged- Leveled - 20' Fuel Mavericks with 305/55/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers
jkings27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 10:37 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
Discount Diesel Parts
 
Dirtbikindad393's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: So Calif.
Posts: 2,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkings27 View Post
thinking about pulling the trigger on this.. just to be ceatin, the spin on is included in the package right?? meaning i do not need to add one from the drop down menu at the bottom of the page??
That is correct 2 gals and 1 spin-on are included in the standard package. If you want more than that you may use the drop downs to add additional fluid or filters.
__________________
WWW.MADJACKDIESEL.COM
My Truck "Radio Flyer" 2013 Chevy CCLB 4X4 Victory Red
Email us or Call us 855-MAD-JACK
Amsoil Distributor #1466322
Exhaust Systems, Down Pipes, CAI, EFI Live
Authorized Nicktane Dealer, Filters
EZ Oil Drain Valves, Fuel Filter Access Doors
Your Satisfaction is Our Satisfaction!
Dirtbikindad393 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 12:47 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 512
With the OEM (TES 389 rated) trans fluid with "normal" use the fluid should be changed every 50k miles. With 'severe' use which equates to heavy hauling or towing or offroad use the recommendation by Allison is every 12K miles.

I use by truck 50-60% of the time hauling a 4,000 lb. camper around in the mountains so my trans fluid schedule is for every 25K miles. If I figure 50% at the 12K and 50% at the 50K it comes out to changing the fluid every 31K miles. I choose to play it safe and do it every 25K miles until the truck is out of warranty at which time I will switch to a TES 295 rated fluid and change it every 100k miles.

The ONLY time Allision recommends changing the internal filter is during an overhaul of the transmission.
elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:30 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2