Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

low running temps

4K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  cessna150 
#1 ·
tranny runs 125*
engine runs 185*

think i need to partially block the front end?

summer time is Ok, 200* engine and 160* tranny..

#2 ·
I have the same issues with my truck. The cooler tranny temps I am okay with but I am seeing on average 176 degree coolant temps since the ambient temp dropped. My truck will dip into the upper 160s on occasion and struggle to get back up. So far I have tried a little longer warm up in the morning and even started plugging her in but I still have the same issues. I just picked up a stock winterfront and I am going to run it on the grill to see if I can bring those temps up.

#5 ·
Alright. We are supposed to have lows in the mid-twenties and highs in the mid-forties this week. Its not real cold but I should see increased operating temperatures.

#4 ·
Being here in the Pacific NW, I run a winter front when tems drop down to 55 and lower. I made my own from a BBQ grill cover from Wal-Mart ($15). Its 15 miles to work and she warms up quite a bit quicker.

Two weeks ago I went on an hunting trip over Tonasket WA, 600 miles round trip. Ran the grill cover the entire time, no trailer, 65 mph average speed on I90. Coolant temps 185-220. IAT 100-140, 130-140 going over Tiger, Snoqualmie, and Blewett passes. Fan kicked on a few times for a mile or so. Coming back half way up Snoqualmie it kicked on for a few miles...pulled over and opened up the transcooler holes and it never came on againg. 21 mpg average on winter blend diesel.

#8 ·
ive never looked..i bought mine new...in fact on another diesel site i talked to a guy that worked at the chevy truck plant..he told me when my truck went down the line..that was coOl.

#9 · (Edited)
IIRC the Duramax manual says the grille cover doesnt need to be on unless its 0F or colder.
I myself put my cover on when its in the low 20s-low teens.

The grille cover is a standard/required option on all truck orders with the following ship to locations: Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Alaska, Idaho, Wisconsin, Wyoming, Michigan, Colorado and New York.

Otherwise its an available option thats added.

#10 ·
yea i gotta find my winterfront as well

#11 ·
The winterfront is a great way to keep from losing as much MPG too....

I put my "FIA" brand winterfront on when temps drop below 50f and it works like a charm. More even engine temps, better mpg, faster warmup/cab heat, keeps salt spray out of the radiator,etc.
It's a very good thing for the truck in the winter.

#14 ·
I put the FIA winterfront on my truck around 45 degrees. I keep the vents open till freezing temps. It helps and here is the data I have collected. Numbers from my edge.

OAT of 45 degrees
No winterfront. Engine temp is 180 and never gets higher or lower by 5 degrees. Unless I get stuck in traffic idling for extended time, then it won’t keep warm.
Winterfront on and vents open- 190 +- 5degrees 99% of the time.

OAT of 30 degrees
No winterfront, 160 to 170 degrees driving. MPG drop

winterfront on and closed flaps , 180-190 degrees about 15MPG on winter diesel. A 2MPG drop from summer running is what I plan on.

I REALLY like the FIA winterfront because of the vents and the screen protector for summer use. I dislike the sticky buttons but if I ever attach the button with screws like recommended I bet I would like that better.

I have found that the vents help with MPG. I watch my intake temp and coolant temps I open the vent to yield the warmest coolant temp with the coldest intake air temp. The vent seem to effect the intercooler temps whenever you can open them. If I am making a long run, I open the vent about a hour in, the engine is warm soaked enough to keep warm and with the vents open it helps to provide cool air to the intake.

#12 ·
So this is normal, don't need to do thermostats? If they were working correctly it would have to get a lot colder than 45-50 degrees to notice an operating temp difference, wouldn't it? It will take a little longer to get there, but operating temp should be the same as summer. My first duramax, don't know all the quirks, if I need to just get a winter front that's what I will do!

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com Free App

#13 ·
Mine ran at 167-169 before putting new thermostats in it. Now it runs 181-185 all day. I'd say you're fine

#19 ·
So many winterfront posts coming up now..lol. I run mine when it starts staying below 35F or so. Helps with mpg and getting head in the cab. I do notice a big mpg drop when the truck is running below 175 or so. I also have the bumper cover for mine, i haven't had to run that. i would love to to keep my bumper and chrome from getting beat in the winter but it heats up the tranny too much.

#20 ·
I had the 1 piece cover that coverd the grille & bottom bumper opening. I had that problem where snow would build up in the air box & the dealer gave me A air lid with holes drilled in it & a grille cover. Service writer advise me not use the old 1 piece cover because the trans temp gets to hot.

#25 ·
I just wanted to give everyone a heads up what solved my problem. I swapped out the Thermostats in my truck and it immediately held 181 degrees so that might be the place to start if you are having trouble with your operating temps.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#27 ·
Was one stuck open?

#28 ·
Where mine is running now, don't matter if it's idling, driving, or hauling. Going to change out the thermostat

#29 ·
sounds like the problem huh?? guess ill get a thermostat asap....brand?? cause when i changed the one in my s-10 was told to buy a certain brand.......but that was years ago..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.