First Oil Change - Basic Questions - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Maintenance Discuss scheduled maintenace, capacities, filter part numbers, etc.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 08:24 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

First Oil Change - Basic Questions

Performing my first oil change on my Duramax this weekend.
Going with AMSOIL 15-40 AMETP-EA and Oil Filter. Getting it locally for a good price.

Do people generally go 10k or 15k between oil changes with this product? Most I've ever gone on any vehicle has been 5k, so this is new to me.

I've also seen it mentioned about the Allison Spin-On (Tranny Filter). How often does this need to be changed and is it a simple change? I'm hoping if its a simple change that I don't need to change the tranny fluid as well.

Any other regular changes I need to be aware of? The fuel filter was changed about 4k miles ago so I should be good on that. I'm planning on doing an upgrade to that as well in the near future.
Zone 6" dropped to ~4-4.5"
XD801 18X9 | 275/70/18 Duratracs
performancetruckproducts.com
darkonion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 08:47 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

I'll be going 10k between changes when I switch to Amsoil next weekend, but idk what everyone else does. And for the Allison Spin-On external filter, change it every 10,000 and you do not need to change the tranny fluid every time. It's really simple, just unscrew the little red filter underneath your truck by the trans pan, clean off the magnet, put it back and screw in the new filter
EFI Live, MA700 Trans, ARP Studs, Airdog 2 165, LBZ FPR, MBRP 5" with 6” tip, Profab Downpipe, LML Manifold, LBZ Mouthpiece, S&B Intake, Profab EGR Delete, PCV Rerouted, Resonator Plugged, ADP Race Valve, Custom Traction Bars, MA Rear Housing Support, MA Pump Rub Fix, 3" Drop Shackles, BMF Novakanes 20x9, Nitto 420s, Rancho RS9000xl's, Fumoto Drain Valve, Amsoil Synthetics, Autometer Cobalt’s Boost & Pyro, Tint, HID's, Line-X’d rockers
Stuff Laying Around :
BT Lockup Box, MA Motor Mounts, Rare Parts Tie Rods, Allseason Brace, Moog Pitman & Idler, HD Idler Pivot w/Gusset, Kryptonite Swaybar Endlinks, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, Timken Bearings, Insight CTS, HSP 3" Bridge & Intercooler Pipes
The S.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 08:53 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

It depends on how my driving style is for that time period but I change no sooner than 10k no later than 15k.
08' LMM CC SB SLE Z-71 4x4| Tekonsha P3| B&W Turnover| Tow Mirrors| POR 15| EDGE Insight CTS| AMSOIL| Diamond EYE 3" DP/ 4" DE QT Exhaust w/ muffler| PCV Reroute| Batmowheel| EGR Delete| LB7 Uppipe| EFI Live| LED Reverse/Cargo light| RetroSolutions 5k HID's| FX-R 3.0 Retrofit| Billet Valve Plugs| PCV & Resonator Plugs| Bills Custom Intake

Future Mods: 52 gal Titan Tank| FASS 150|Reverse camera| Audio Overhaul|Sound dampening kit| Weather Tech| Denali Grill| LML Denali bumper| LML Manifold| LML Step rails| Hood Vent| EGT Probe| Corsa Muffler| Tie Rods/ Sleeves.....
StealthBoogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 09:15 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Amsoil in gas engines can go 10k. In any diesel no way 10-15k. Way too much fuel contamination that breaks down the oil. 3-5k on conventional. 5k-7k max on Amsoil even.
Runs2rch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 10:01 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The S.O.M. View Post
I'll be going 10k between changes when I switch to Amsoil next weekend, but idk what everyone else does. And for the Allison Spin-On external filter, change it every 10,000 and you do not need to change the tranny fluid every time. It's really simple, just unscrew the little red filter underneath your truck by the trans pan, clean off the magnet, put it back and screw in the new filter
Awesome, sounds simple. Does it leak a lot when you take the filter off? I imagine it will need to be topped off.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:24 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

you would prolly be fine with 10,000 at the most but if your like me i like to keep my oil clean so i usually change mine 2 to 3 thounsand miles sooner than recommended also when change oil wouldnt hurt to check the other fluids and air intake filter while hood is up.. oh i highly recommend the fumoto valve from merchant automotive

04 lb7 Duramax
afe intake/ 8 inch silverline stack /air dog II/ efi live tunes by (Mark Broviak) /suncoast tranny/ tie rod sleeves.......
Turblow44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 10:41 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkonion View Post
Awesome, sounds simple. Does it leak a lot when you take the filter off? I imagine it will need to be topped off.
it leaks some, but not a lot. Depending on how your ATF level is you may or may not need to top it off.. Probably only lose about 8 ounces give or take. My current level is toward the high end of the normal range so I expect a top-off will not be needed on my next filter change.

Last edited by tom777; 12-11-2012 at 10:43 AM.
tom777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 11:03 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turblow44 View Post
you would prolly be fine with 10,000 at the most but if your like me i like to keep my oil clean so i usually change mine 2 to 3 thounsand miles sooner than recommended also when change oil wouldnt hurt to check the other fluids and air intake filter while hood is up.. oh i highly recommend the fumoto valve from merchant automotive
Yup, already ordered the valve a while ago. Will make things so much easier.
I have a K&N Air filter that I just cleaned 2 weekends ago. Will check other fluids this weekend.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:10 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
Discount Diesel Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkonion View Post
Performing my first oil change on my Duramax this weekend.
Going with AMSOIL 15-40 AMETP-EA and Oil Filter. Getting it locally for a good price.

Do people generally go 10k or 15k between oil changes with this product? Most I've ever gone on any vehicle has been 5k, so this is new to me.

I've also seen it mentioned about the Allison Spin-On (Tranny Filter). How often does this need to be changed and is it a simple change? I'm hoping if its a simple change that I don't need to change the tranny fluid as well.

Any other regular changes I need to be aware of? The fuel filter was changed about 4k miles ago so I should be good on that. I'm planning on doing an upgrade to that as well in the near future.
I do 15K mile changes with the same oil you are going to use. I change my fuel filter and Allison spin-on filter all at the same time. It makes maint really easy. Do not forget the magnet on the Allison Spin-on filter. The Allison spin-on filter is the same as the oil filter just unscrew and replace with a new filter. I would use that fuel filter until the next oil change then change it and get on the same program like I do. Do not forget to grease the zerks in the front end.
Amsoil Distributor #1466322
Exhaust Systems, Down Pipes, CAI, EFI Live
Authorized Nicktane Dealer, Filters
Fumoto Valves, Fuel Filter Access Doors
Your Satisfaction is Our Satisfaction!
Dirtbikindad393 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 07:30 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runs2rch View Post
Amsoil in gas engines can go 10k. In any diesel no way 10-15k. Way too much fuel contamination that breaks down the oil. 3-5k on conventional. 5k-7k max on Amsoil even.
With the right setup you can go more then 15k on amsoil(i believe up to 25k) as long as your getting it tested , do some research on it. Changing oil at 3k miles for any DD car/truck is a waste of money. Its an a old truth... Oil is way better then it used to be to require 3k changes

Edit: I belive its if you have the DPF and EGR gone helps to improve that extened drain period
08' LMM CC SB SLE Z-71 4x4| Tekonsha P3| B&W Turnover| Tow Mirrors| POR 15| EDGE Insight CTS| AMSOIL| Diamond EYE 3" DP/ 4" DE QT Exhaust w/ muffler| PCV Reroute| Batmowheel| EGR Delete| LB7 Uppipe| EFI Live| LED Reverse/Cargo light| RetroSolutions 5k HID's| FX-R 3.0 Retrofit| Billet Valve Plugs| PCV & Resonator Plugs| Bills Custom Intake

Future Mods: 52 gal Titan Tank| FASS 150|Reverse camera| Audio Overhaul|Sound dampening kit| Weather Tech| Denali Grill| LML Denali bumper| LML Manifold| LML Step rails| Hood Vent| EGT Probe| Corsa Muffler| Tie Rods/ Sleeves.....

Last edited by StealthBoogie; 12-11-2012 at 07:33 PM.
StealthBoogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.