WATER IN FUEL prompt on dash display after changing sensor and filter - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Maintenance Discuss scheduled maintenace, capacities, filter part numbers, etc.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 02:50 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

WATER IN FUEL prompt on dash display after changing sensor and filter

Hi folks:

NEWBIE here to the site. Hope someone can help! I just changed my fuel filter on my 07 2500 HD and had to change the water in fuel sensor as a wire broke when removing the unit from the filter. Went to a local auto parts store as it was late in the day and got a Dorman aftermarket to replace. Changed everything out; primed the new filter and started. No problem until the WATER IN FUEL display popped up. Checked connection, seems to be good, plugged in OBD scanner to check for any problems--NONE. Engine runs fine.

Anyone else experience this? How do you clear or do I have to go to GM and get the OEM part?

Thanks!

Tom
pennsdalerepair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 04:53 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

Does the light go out when you unplug the sensor? If so...Leave it unplugged, They dont work as designed anyway. Drain the water off the filter at every fill-up.

1985 Chevy C20 Suburban with a '04 5.3L/4L60E
K&N intake tube w/ stock box, Built trans, Michelin A/S.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 04:14 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

I'll probably get flamed, but here goes anyway. One thing Ford got right on the old 7.3 PS was the fuel pump/filter setup. The pump was on the frame rail close to the tank, so it was like the "lift pump" so the fuel was under pressure thru the filter. And you could take the top off the filter canister & pull the filter element & look inside to see what was in the bottom. You could put the cartridge back in...or install a new one. Mosty all Racor. Easy to get to the drain. I guess there was a WIF sensor, but it actually worked. Bad was the dumb fuel heater, cause water would corrode it & it would short out & blow a fuse that was also on the same circuit as the PCM = no start. Didn't really need the heater unless you were in Alaska, so most left it unplugged.
I don't like to suck the fuel thru the filter, cause any pinhole will suck air & you will not run right or not run at all.
There, I'm off my soapbox. & go to drinking some of my homebrew.
Bill
Optima Red Tops
Kenwood w/ Alpine Kicker & speakers
Over 500k mostly Furd diesel miles since 1995
Banjo Willy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 05:51 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

I had a 2000 7.3L PowerStroke. The fuel filter was right on top of the engine, easy to get to. The filter canister was transparent, so you could see at a glance how dirty it is. However, to drain the water, it poured all over the engine.
DSB'd: 2000 F250 Powerstroke ExtendedCab Shorty 4x4.

Last edited by jblather; 02-26-2013 at 05:54 PM.
jblather is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 05:19 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

WATER IN FUEL display

All:

FIXED!! The replacement Dorman sensor was defective! Tested it using an ohm meter to find that it would not consistently read open when the float was in the down position. Took the old one apart and soldered the wiring back together and tested it. Perfect!! Also sampled my fuel---perfect!!

Thanks for the advice!!!

Tom
pennsdalerepair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 06:32 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Vanned this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo Willy View Post
I'll probably get flamed, but here goes anyway. One thing Ford got right on the old 7.3 PS was the fuel pump/filter setup. The pump was on the frame rail close to the tank, so it was like the "lift pump" so the fuel was under pressure thru the filter. And you could take the top off the filter canister & pull the filter element & look inside to see what was in the bottom. You could put the cartridge back in...or install a new one. Mosty all Racor. Easy to get to the drain. I guess there was a WIF sensor, but it actually worked. Bad was the dumb fuel heater, cause water would corrode it & it would short out & blow a fuse that was also on the same circuit as the PCM = no start. Didn't really need the heater unless you were in Alaska, so most left it unplugged.
I don't like to suck the fuel thru the filter, cause any pinhole will suck air & you will not run right or not run at all.
There, I'm off my soapbox. & go to drinking some of my homebrew.
Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblather View Post
I had a 2000 7.3L PowerStroke. The fuel filter was right on top of the engine, easy to get to. The filter canister was transparent, so you could see at a glance how dirty it is. However, to drain the water, it poured all over the engine.

What does this have to do with the OP?

might as well talk about vans too since this thread got derailed
TheStepChild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 05:28 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsdalerepair View Post
All:

FIXED!! The replacement Dorman sensor was defective! Tested it using an ohm meter to find that it would not consistently read open when the float was in the down position. Took the old one apart and soldered the wiring back together and tested it. Perfect!! Also sampled my fuel---perfect!!

Thanks for the advice!!!

Tom

1985 Chevy C20 Suburban with a '04 5.3L/4L60E
K&N intake tube w/ stock box, Built trans, Michelin A/S.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.