Injector Cleaning - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Maintenance Discuss scheduled maintenace, capacities, filter part numbers, etc.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 09:56 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Injector Cleaning

I am getting ready to change my fuel filter and think I might try one of the injector cleaning methods. I use Stanadyne in the fuel during the winter months but no during the summer. I am just wondering what some of your suggestions are for cleaning the injectors. I have read the thread where you disconnect the fuel lines and run a concentrated mix of injector cleaner through. I have also heard of filling a new fuel filter with injector cleaner and starting it. I only have 35,000 miles on my 08 but want to keep the injectors clean.

• EFI Live - tuned by Idaho Rob
  • MBRP 4" turbo back exhaust
  • EGR block plate
  • Transgo Jr Kit
  • Auto Meter digital pyro & boost gauges
Jaydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2013, 10:06 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

do this method! there are a lot of people on here that have done this and seen great results. myself included. ill be doing this once a year from now on. the hardest part is drinking beer while watching the half gallon of diesel going down.
good luck!

How To: DIY - Injector cleaning
EFI live from tony! Edge Insight for info - EGR blocked - AFE stage 3 intake, -MBRP 3 inch down pipe MBRP 4 inch straight pipe no kitty and no muff -5 inch tip - Titan 52 gallon tank -Air Dog II 165 GPH - ready lift indexed keys - rare parts tie rods - kryptonite UCA - kryptonite idler pivot - cognito braces - 285/75/16 general grabber AT2 - bilstein shocks - PCV reroute - trans go jr. MA pump rub fix.- reflex spray in bed liner over the rail. access cover on bed
Motoracer413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2013, 10:15 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

I am just curious but is filling a new fuel filter with injector cleaner and installing it not a good idea? This would certainly be the easiest way.

• EFI Live - tuned by Idaho Rob
  • MBRP 4" turbo back exhaust
  • EGR block plate
  • Transgo Jr Kit
  • Auto Meter digital pyro & boost gauges
Jaydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2013, 10:30 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

no the GM fuel injector cleaner does not have enough lubricity in!! i replaced my fuel filter after running the injector cleaner. i still had 25% on it, but i like clean fuel.. and dont fill the new filter with fuel. just use the plunger to fill it. that way the fuel is properly filtered and not sending dirty fuel to the clean injectors.
EFI live from tony! Edge Insight for info - EGR blocked - AFE stage 3 intake, -MBRP 3 inch down pipe MBRP 4 inch straight pipe no kitty and no muff -5 inch tip - Titan 52 gallon tank -Air Dog II 165 GPH - ready lift indexed keys - rare parts tie rods - kryptonite UCA - kryptonite idler pivot - cognito braces - 285/75/16 general grabber AT2 - bilstein shocks - PCV reroute - trans go jr. MA pump rub fix.- reflex spray in bed liner over the rail. access cover on bed
Motoracer413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2013, 05:50 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Use a fuel additive year around. Keep adding some fuel additive @ each full fill up.

2009 GMC 2500HD SLE CC/SB 4x4 LMM
EFI Live, Edge Insight CTS, Resonator delete plug, EGR disabled, Flo~Pro 4" DP back exhaust w/ muffler & stock trumpet tip, Pacer LED NBS cab lights, GM under tailgate dually light bar, Footwell lights, Cobra 29 WXNWST CB radio, Kenwood speakers, Tinted windows, GM chrome oval running boards, Alum. bleeder screw, WIF sensor delete plug, Fumoto oil drain valve, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Michelin M/S2, PY0 wheels, Rubber mud flaps, Curt class IV hitch, Wilson 2000 CB antenna

2000 Silverado 1500 LS RC/LB 4x2 4.8L (Whoopty/Work Truck)
HD Dmax Machine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2013, 08:46 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

On a Cummins I would just fill the fuel filter with ATF. The detergent in the ATF worked well to clean injectors. This also gave some lube to the pump and would flush it out as well. I've not tried this on my Duramax. Anyone use this method on Duramax?
Old 10-04-2013, 08:48 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

I run Lucas fuel treatment on every fill up and have not had any trouble with injectors.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.