Coolant leak - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Maintenance Discuss scheduled maintenace, capacities, filter part numbers, etc.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013, 10:01 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Coolant leak

I just joined this forum yesterday, and thought hey, what better place to ask! I went out to my truck this morning and walking up to it I noticed a little puddle under the truck in the front on the driver side. I was running late so I didn't spend hours searching for the leak. I realize the head gaskets are capable of going bad. what other things should I be looking at to figure out where this truck is leaking from? I cant seem to find the source of the leak. thanks ahead of time for all the help.
atkinslw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2013, 10:08 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Driver's side, Front....check the weep hole on the Water Pump for coolant residue.
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"

Hook'em_Horns! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2013, 10:18 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

It's your water pump. It's leaking from the weep hole. Get a new one and replace. If you want one that has the gear and impeller welded to the shaft, expect to pay around $280 from Merchant Auto. If you don't (or don't plan on) putting out a huge amount of HP, just get a Delco OE replacement for significantly less. Print out the "How to:" thread about changing the pump. I'm sure you can figure everything else out on your own.
Nicktane CAT Adapter - Baldiwn Oil Filter - Chevron Delo 400LE 15W-40 - Allison Trans. Filter - PPE Hot +2 Xcelerator (Stock) - H2 Wheels - Cooper Discoverer ATP 285/70/17 - SuperTech TC-W3 - Stanadyne

2014 Harley Davidson Street Glide Special
CootersLBZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2013, 10:32 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

I figured it was the pump. ill double check when I get time later. truck will stay stock so no need for anything overpriced with a fancy name. thanks for the help this forum seems to be a damn good deal!!
Old 11-25-2013, 11:19 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

and im assuming the pump on this thing is going to be a much larger pain in the rear end than my old small block gas motors.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:47 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

It is the water pump for sure.

While your at it, change the cover on it as well.

Here is a great write up on changing the water pump. I did mine by myself in about 2 hours after never have doing one in the past.

How To: Replace Water Pump in 1hr:)

- S&B Intake - Diamond Eye 4" Stainless Exhaust - PPE Boost Valve - AirDog II 165 - EFI Live by Danville Performance - Edge CTS Insight - Longhorn Fab Traction Bars -
mjonesjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2013, 11:50 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinslw View Post
and im assuming the pump on this thing is going to be a much larger pain in the rear end than my old small block gas motors.
Correct.
Earlier Dmax models (see above) were less of a hassle.
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"

Hook'em_Horns! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2013, 05:40 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

next question. ive been searching for hours off and on cant find a direct answer. 2006 lbz, when i plug it in, after several hours, the temp gauge still doesnt register. so how warm does it actually keep the truck? ive also read one time on here they say some dont actually heat until 0 degrees. is that for the lbz?
Old 11-25-2013, 05:42 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

The gauge cluster isn't very accurate.

When it is cold out side here in Indiana (roughly in the teens), my CTS shows my temp at being around 80-90* after being plugged in for about 3 hours. At this temp, the stock gauge doesn't read. When it is warmer, the truck gets warmer. I've seen my temps at around 130* just from the block heater.

- S&B Intake - Diamond Eye 4" Stainless Exhaust - PPE Boost Valve - AirDog II 165 - EFI Live by Danville Performance - Edge CTS Insight - Longhorn Fab Traction Bars -
mjonesjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2013, 05:51 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

so mine probably is heating just not as much? see thats all odd to me. my roommate has a 03 lb7 and his was plugged in too and registered at 175 degrees when he un plugged it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.