Dead Batteries - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Maintenance Discuss scheduled maintenace, capacities, filter part numbers, etc.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 07:28 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Dead Batteries

Hey guys, I am new here but have been lurking for a while. I bought this truck used in Nov and have made the mods in my sig to the bone stock truck. The problem I am having is the batteries have died 3 times know over night. The truck is 5 years old so I realize it is probably time for new batteries but I want to figure out exactly what is wrong before I put 2 new batteries in. So my questions are, could it be possible that both batteries are old and just need replaced, or is there other things that I should be looking at that will cause a drain when the truck is sitting over night? I am going to try and get the batteries load tested tomorrow. Any thing else I should check out? By the way this just started happening after my lift was installed 3 weeks ago.

Thanks
tree
2005 GMC Dmax, AFE turbo inlet, 6" RCD lift, 20" Rockstars, 35" Nitto Grapplers, Edge Evo touchscreen with back up camera, RBP step bars, Cognito pitman idler arm support kit, 4" MBPR turbo back exhaust. Smoked LED tail lights, Halo headlights, RBP grill, Bush Whacker cut outs
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2010, 07:29 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

is your battery light on in the truck.
Seven bad injectors complimentary of the previous owner. Thanks bud

www.AlligatorPerformance.com
http://www.getsomeperformance.com
Not So Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2010, 07:32 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

if you have a volt meter check the amp draw with every thing off then start pulling fuses till draw goes away then you know what circuit to look at.
Auto Meter Carbon Fiber Ultra Lite Pyro, Boost Gauges
PPE Boost valve.
Turbo MP Mod PPE HOT+2
30% over injectors
diesel_tech1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2010, 07:36 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Have every thing checked, Alternator, Battery's. It seems you still have the Factory battery's and they are 5 years old ?, are you in a cold climate ?
Interco SS M-16 40 x 14.50 x 24
Designed, Built, and Fabricated by ME
May 2010 & April 2011 -Diesel World Magazine Featured Vehicle
June 2010 - 8 LUG HD Truck Magazine , September 2011 - Street Trucks Magazine Featured Vehicle
SEMA SHOW Vehicle 2009, 2010 & 2011
SoCalDieselTrucks.com
DRWC # 15
ICULKN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2010, 04:35 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

No battery light just 2 dead batteries. The weird thing to me is it has not happened back to back so that tells me that it may not be the batteries. I am in Ohio so I dont think the cold is the problem. I will have the alternator checked as well today. Also plan on going through the fuses and looking for currrent draw. Also, if one battery is bad can it somehow totally drain the other? I have just never had a truck with 2 batteries.

Thanks
2005 GMC Dmax, AFE turbo inlet, 6" RCD lift, 20" Rockstars, 35" Nitto Grapplers, Edge Evo touchscreen with back up camera, RBP step bars, Cognito pitman idler arm support kit, 4" MBPR turbo back exhaust. Smoked LED tail lights, Halo headlights, RBP grill, Bush Whacker cut outs
Old 03-18-2010, 06:33 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Word Up
Lifetime Supporting Member

yes one bad batt will rape the other....

Heres some info hope you get it straightened out.

Damn Truck Hates Batteries!!!!

LMM Twinz N sum shyt ATP Tuned

02 LB7 to be EFI'd this week.

cainer70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2010, 07:53 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the link. I am at the shop now getting the batteries load tested and the alternator tested so will go from there. I hope we get it figured out soon because this is a pain in the azz. So far I love the truck but have thrown a lot of money into the front end and other maintenance issues. I am ready for them to stop now!
Old 03-20-2010, 09:42 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

What accessories do you have plugged into the accessory plugs? My daughter has a portable cd player that will kill the batteries every time overnight.
robphillips00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2010, 07:48 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

I have no accessories plugged in. The truck has the tv and dvd player in the ceiling so the kids use that! Both batteries were bad according to the load test so I now have 2 new ones. So far the have not died overnight like the other 2 did. The shop also checked for current draw and shorts with the truck powered off and found nothing. So hopefully it was just 2 bad batteries
Old 03-21-2010, 09:19 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Ya it only takes one bad cell in one batt to drain them both, and thats why you always change both batts. Sometimes we get the odd trucker that only wants to change one batt out of four in his semi, basically he is wasting his money because 3 months down the road his new batt is screwed too. One trucker even yelled at me "If I made your money I could change all four!", LOL.
LBZ mouthpiece
Edge Evo Cs
saskboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.