Service Brake System(DIC) & ABS Light - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Maintenance Discuss scheduled maintenace, capacities, filter part numbers, etc.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2010, 07:30 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Service Brake System(DIC) & ABS Light

Hello Folks, so I recently bought a 2003 2500HD 6.6 and once in awhile (7-8 times a week) the ABS light comes on with the Service Brake System warning on the DIC. I cycle the ignition and 99% of the time it goes away after one cycle. Sometimes it's after I start the truck and most of the time it is just after I turn the key on but before cranking the engine. It seems to happen more often when the engine is warm and usually the glow plug light never even comes on, and it doesn't appear to matter if I have my foot on the brake or not. Also no codes are ever reported on the OBDII. I'm not sure of what to make of it, I've read several posts and TSB's and found primarily two things, one is to clean the ground connection underneath the driverís side on the frame, which I did. It wasn't a great connection so this could only have helped but I still get the error regularly. The second thing was TSB #04-05-25-005A which is to update the EBCM software version. The dealership wants $95 just to plug in to the OBDII so I'm try to determine if there is anything else to do before getting the new SW(if I even need it because I don't know what's in there now), and if that will even fix it. It seems like there are a lot of other people that have had similar a problem, any other advice out there? Does it sound like the software update would fix this or are they just going to tell me I need to replace the EBCM? Any help is appreciated!!!
cclb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2010, 06:19 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

Check the speed sensors in the wheel bearing hub on each front wheel. You might be able to clean them up, otherwise you might have to replace. Im going to replace mine soon, because i have the same problem, only my pbrake light stays on too.
Oh but before that, try checking the fuse? lol
-2003 cc sb lb7. 6 inch fabtech suspension lift, 35" general grabbers on 17 inch powdercoated eagle alloys 4" turbo back 5" tip, edge juice with attitude w/ level 6, ppe boost valve, 20% all the way around and afe intake,
AD 165, pro fab intake horn.
-2001 VW TDI 1.9 jetta 2.5" turbo back straight pipe
50 MPG (No batteries needed)
-1990 Jeep Wrangler YJ-sold
-2006 Yamaha R6 piped. Loud and fast!
-1987 Ford mustang 5.0 5speed, headers, flowmasters
IBEW Local 697
mgj8858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2010, 10:09 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Thanks mgj, so here is an update and what I've learned so far. The service tech told me that I'll only see an OBD code for this(probably be a C# for loss of communications) if it just happened meaning you have to have a scanner plugged in when it happens, these codes are cleared on power cycle so they are not stored. I didn't do this but that's what I was told. I did clean the ground connection under the driverside and it didn't help. On another thread, which I believe was on this site, mentioned checking the batteries. I found that one was bad after having it tested at a parts store. I then replaced both batteries last Friday and so far, I havn't had any more of these errors(knock on wood)! If the ABS circuit is that sensitive to voltage then it makes sense but I would have never thought of changing the batteries as the motor was cranking just fine. I'll let you know if this crops back up, maybe it's a fluke. Hope this helps others...
Old 05-15-2010, 08:06 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Wow that was unexpected! Im going to get my batteries checked! Because i've been having a problem at start up as well. Sometimes when i turn the key, nothing, no turn over. I have to cycle it a few times to start, then it starts fine. Maybe one battery is just completely dead.
-2003 cc sb lb7. 6 inch fabtech suspension lift, 35" general grabbers on 17 inch powdercoated eagle alloys 4" turbo back 5" tip, edge juice with attitude w/ level 6, ppe boost valve, 20% all the way around and afe intake,
IBEW Local 697
Old 05-15-2010, 08:43 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Yeah, it never occurred to me to even check the batteries anyway because it was cranking just fine. This is my first 2 battery vehicle but I figured everything should be fine until it gets sluggish on the cranking. I'm still confused as to how the 2 battery system really works, does each battery power dedicated circuitry & system components or do they both power everything together? When I was in trying to get info about his the service guy did tell me that 2003's are notorious for having the ignition switch go out as well, that might be something to look at also with the intermittent cranking. Just a thought.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:48 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Yeah i was curious about that too. I would guess the 2 just power everything, but i have no idea. I will have to look into the ignition switch. I just checked my batteries with my charger and they both seem good. Im gonna charge them up completely and disconnect them and see what that will do. Thanks for the info!
IBEW Local 697
Old 05-15-2010, 01:14 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

I had to replace my ignition switch a couple of months ago beacuse it would not shift out of park and the shift range indicator would flash. I can't wait to hear how this thread runs.
Nitto Terras on 17" Moto Metal 950

DMAXSTORE.COM, Your Duramax Diesel-Only Shopping Resource
Markymark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2010, 01:19 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgj8858 View Post
I would guess the 2 just power everything
And you would be right. The batteries are connected in parallel, meaning that they double the amp hrs, but stay at 12v.

Do you happen to have the code that came up?

Mine was throwing a C0055 code which is the rear wheel speed circuit last week. I would clear it and it would be gone until I fired it back up. It just stopped doing it and has yet to do it again.

If it is that, I was told that the speed sensor on the transfercase could be bad or need a cleaning.

PS: I also always have a C0035 "Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit", but that does not set the ABS/Brake warning lights on the dash.

Just a few aftermarket goodies
mijdirtyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2010, 05:16 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

That is very interesting about the batteries. Thanks for the update.
Custom headache rack with lights and side box rails.:rockin
Stock as she came from GM.
I added
Recon Smoked Cab Lights.
Ring of Fire Tailgate lights and
Big Rig Ice Lights.
Alberta Beach (Edmonton) Alberta Canada
youngone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2010, 08:14 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Well i had it scanned, and it won't show a code. So that makes it a little harder to determine the problem.
IBEW Local 697
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.