Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

New Fuel Filter Changes

110K views 190 replies 45 participants last post by  Hook'em_Horns! 
#1 · (Edited)
Many Members have noticed and questioned the recent Fuel Filter product changes in regards to the acDelco TP3012 being discontinued, updated to the new TP3018.

GM said:
The change involves a minor internal part geometry change to aid in manufacturing. The performance, fit, function, etc. of the filter will not be affected. GM is instituting a part number change simply because the geometry of a component is changing.
More than just minor, read more...

The acDelco TP3012, commonly known as the relabeled Parker-Racor PFF50216 coalescing fuel filter, is visibly different from the new TP3018 filter, in that you can see thru the center of the element.

Since so many of us use the more value-priced PFF50216, the question has been raised as to whether we will also see these changes reflected in the Parker-Racor filter too.

Rest easy, it's not.
Confirmed; Parker-Racor no longer supplies the re-labeled acDelco TP3012 fuel filters.

The claimed "...minor internal part geometry change to aid in manufacturing..." also includes a change in who manufactures the TP3018, as it is No Longer Parker-Racor.

Since no performance test data is available for this new filter, I would highly recommend you go with an alternative to the TP3018 (unless you find old stock TP3012s).

Racor's PFF50216
or
Baldwin's BF9882

It appears so far that they have not changed their source for the complete Fuel Filter Head Assembly,
Still the Parker-Racor PFF4245R2-02, just over $100 still.

http://www.parker.com/literature/Racor/Racor_Filtration_-_ParFit_Parts_Catalog_-_7686.pdf

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Many Members have noticed and questioned the recent Fuel Filter product changes in regards to the acDelco TP3012 being discontinued, updated to the new TP3018.

More than just minor, read more...

The acDelco TP3012, commonly known as the relabeled Parker-Racor PFF50216 coalescing fuel filter, is visibly different from the new TP3018 filter, in that you can see thru the center of the element.

Since so many of us use the more value-priced PFF50216, the question has been raised as to whether we will also see these changes reflected in the Parker-Racor filter too.

Rest easy, it's not.
Confirmed; Parker-Racor no longer supplies the re-labeled acDelco TP3012 fuel filters.

The claimed "...minor internal part geometry change to aid in manufacturing..." also includes a change in who manufactures the TP3018, as it is No Longer Parker-Racor.

Since no performance test data is available for this new filter, I would highly recommend you go with an alternative to the TP3018 (unless you find old stock TP3012s).

Racor's PFF50216
or
Baldwin's BF9882

It appears so far that they have not changed their source for the complete Fuel Filter Head Assembly,
Still the Parker-Racor PFF4245R2-02, just over $100 still.

http://www.parker.com/literature/Racor/Racor_Filtration_-_ParFit_Parts_Catalog_-_7686.pdf

Thanks Hook'em,

Good research here on your part. :thumb At least now we know why the AC Delco part number changed and the reasons for the change. Now all we need to know is who else besides Racor has their fingers in the making of this filter. :rolleyes:

#3 ·
Thanks for the info.

#4 ·
Good to know!

#5 · (Edited)
FYI all we have in stock is the Racor PFF50216 and plenty of them for those that are worried about that new filter being made in China. We also have a free shipping weekend going right now. Use coupon code "FSDMF" all weekend long. Free shipping applies to all orders in the lower 48 US states and oil products are exempt from free shipping. :thumb

#8 ·
Set aside $3,000+ for a new fuel system. Sounds like the new ACdelco 3018 filter is more chineese garbage. When will the USA learn. Ugh.

#11 ·
I may order the parts online, I just prefer to be able to walk into a store locally (within a 5 mile radius) to buy parts. The drive to Grapevine isn't really worth just a filter, so online will be the best bet.

#13 ·
I agree it wouldn't be worth it to drive to Grapevine to pick up one filter but if you needed one you could order it online and I can't see it taking any longer than 1 day, once it's shipped, to get to you.

#12 ·
No one by me carries the Racor filters, but got them from DMax store via Al Gore's internet. I too try to give me repair/parts $$$ locally but not to the risk of my ride.

#15 ·
Still haven't seen any evidence that it's not a perfectly good filter, it's just that no one seems to have any good information on who makes it and what the specs are. Glad to hear it's apparently made in the USA though.

#16 ·
I sent my 3018 back to Amazon no problem . Now im looking for a good ff for my LML . I have always used wicks filter for my for my old crawler and skid-steer any though on wicks filters ? Seem like I read on the forums when the Duramax first came out there was injector problem that was a GM ff defect. The baldwin BF9882 seems that amazon isn't caring it.

#20 ·
Sorry for the newb questions what is a "WIX" filter???

I just bought a Napa gold wix is that any good compared to the racor

#25 ·
If you have not installed the WIX/Napa fuel filter yet, then I suggest you return it and get your money back.
If you've already installed it, if and when you start having problems like fuel leaking around the filter and/or other fuel related issues, then you'll know what we're talking about.

There are several vendors on the forums that sell Baldwin, Racor at pretty good prices shipped to your front door.

I found one vendor at the right time with good prices spending a certain amount of $$, so I bought 3 Racors and 3 sets of AirDog filters for 3 changes.

#21 · (Edited)
WIX is filter brand. The Napa filter (made by WIX) is crap vs Racor.

#22 ·
#24 ·
I'm not claiming it's inferior, just that it's not the same and we haven't seen comparison testing.

It may wind up being just as good in filtration, but have a shorter lifespan than the 3012, or not.

Interesting that it's made in the USA. That shortens the list for who actually mfrs it.

Wouldn't it be funny if it turns out to be Baldwin that's making it? lololololol

Reactions: onetigger725
#26 ·
Sorry, never meant to infer that you said it was inferior, I was just curious as to why a lot of people are down on it because of a few observations.
As far as Baldwin possibly making it, I guess you never know. It wouldn't be the first time the same product came out with a bunch of different names. :)

#28 ·
Financial Logic >meets> Ignition Switch. :rofl

Ya never know.

Reactions: mwberg
#29 ·
Oh yeah I'll definitely be using the Racor at least as long as the jury is still out on the 3018.

#34 ·
It's the same filter as far as fit and function, but it's not an exact copy internally of the Racor PFF50216, like the AC Delco TP3012.

#35 ·
Thanks. Do you know the specs of the Baldwin, microns filtered/efficiency/etc.? People seem to be recommending it but I haven't seen the info here. I have seen it for the Racor and (old) Delco filter.

I'm new, haven't even bought the truck yet but already obsessed with filtration. I have some previous diesel experience and know that proper filtration is the key to longevity and reliability on these types of engines. Thanks a lot.

#37 · (Edited)
The Baldwin BF9882 filters 4 Micron@99.85% efficiency. Below is a thread comparing the Baldwin, Racor and Donaldson Dmax fuel filters. The Baldwin info is on Post #3424068 although the thread is pretty good as well.
I was told (By Phone) by a Baldwin tech that when they superseded the BF7827 to the BF9882 they tested a Racor PFF50216 and it had an efficiency rating of 4 micron@99.40%. Not much of a difference, but none the less, still a difference. Personally I think both the Baldwin & Racor are great filters and you can't go wrong using either one.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3423526/Duramax_fuel_filter_comparison

#36 ·
It's a hair (minute) better in efficiency rating over the Racor.

#38 ·
You wouldn't want that hair getting through the filter media, would you. :rof:poke[1]:

#40 ·
Since there's some questions on the new filter, I went ahead and emailed AC Delco. This was the original email:

"Recently, I was told that part number TP3012, a duramax diesel fuel filter, is
no longer available and is replaced with part number TP3018. My question is
first, is Parker/Racor still supplying these filters to you? Secondly, what
changes in the filters, if any, are present. Thanks in Advance"

This is what my response was from AC Delco:

Thank you for visiting the ACDelco
website.

The new superseded part number TP3018 has an updated design change
to the spring and yes, they are supplied by the same facility.

If you have
any other questions, please contact our experts at the ACDelco support center by
dialing 1-800-ACDELCO (223-3526).

We appreciate your
business.

Regards,

ACDelco Internet Response Team

Service Request
Number: 71-1476265992

Just for clarification, I emailed a contact that is at Parker/Racor. Once I get any feedback from him, I will attach his response to my email.

#41 · (Edited)
Good job, looking forward to Parker/Racor's response. I'm not sure what the "spring" is, but maybe that explains why you can see straight through the new filter but not the old one (3012).

#42 ·
I expect that I will get an email within the next day, or so. Usually, Parker/Racor has been very responsive to my emails in the past. In addition, I checked on the Mitchell Repair Site, and there were no GM Bulletins issued for the new filter, TP3018. There was, however, a GM Bulletin issued four years ago on the TP3012 filter for adding the "two step filter."

#44 ·
They stated only two GM filters made, 1 for the HD and the other for the Vans. Referencing from their docs, at the bottom of page 7 on the .pdf link in post #1.

Although, perhaps they haven't updated their Literature yet.

#45 ·
So I e-mailed Racor at racortech@parker.com and asked if they manufacture the new AC Delco TP-3018. They responded "Any filter we make for the oem's needs to come from the oem I have no way of looking at what oem parts we make. Racor Technical Service Department. Javier A. Ceja. 209-575-7645."

So we have GM saying Racor makes it and Racor saying they don't know.

#46 ·
The way these guys (GM/Racor) are acting you'd think this info was a matter of National Security. :cool:

#53 ·
$27.99 for the filter then $16 for shipping, not the best deal for east coasters. I think Amazon will do free shipping on the baldwin

#56 ·
There are several vendors that offer free shipping usually with a minimum amount.
When I bought my Racor and AirDog filters from the Dmax store I ended up buying enough for 3 changes, free shipping.
Now you need to do the inquiring for the best deal and free shipping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.