Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

after market fuel filter for duramax

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Jacqson 
#1 ·
Hello everbody,
I have been thinking about putting a after market filter on my 04 Lb7. I have not been able to find munch evidence that it is worth the money.
I would like to know how many miles between injector changes with a 2 micron filter with the use of regular fuel additives? Or how many miles on your truck since you added the aftermarket fuel system? Thanks

#2 ·
There is no set time for injectors. When they go is when they go, could last 50k miles or 200k+ miles. If you want to run aftermarket i suggest/highly recommend a lift pump(fass or airdog they provide great filtering and seperate water while taking strain off your cp3) dont run CAT filters. New study shows they are not as good as we thought and doesnt have any sort of water in fuel protection.

I dont run additives i just dont think its worth the extra money. Only thing i run is howes anti gel an thats only for cold weather. No issues over 5 diesels i have owned(3 dmax, 1 dodge, 1 ford)

Also there are threads on here with part numbers for running donaldson fuel filters. I would either run that or factory fuel filter(i ran ac delco filter on 3 duramaxs changing every 10k miles with zero problems over 50k+ miles, also factory fuel filters on the cummins i had and my 6.4 powerstroke)

#9 ·
Baldwin BF9882 is also an excellent choice for an OEM type filter.

#5 ·
add a lift pump with the extra filtration, air removal and positive pressure. Your injectors will love you and live longer. Use an additive too, even better

#6 ·
Agree with the mentioned. 03 2500 HD DMAX failed injectors at 29-K miles. The factory replaced under warranty. About 60-K had a couple injectors failing. I was not going down this slippery slope again. Had the best injectors available installed and before i started the vehicle up i installed a" FASS 95 platinum" fuel system installed.Includes 2 mic. filter, water separator and lift pump.The truck sounds- runs better than when i bought it new.The pure filtered fuel is as absolute necessity on these oil burners, especially the GM with the factory fuel filter that is not worthy.

#7 ·
My original injectors lasted 165,000 miles with additive. I had an Air Dog 165 the last 20,000 miles. I am hoping with additive the air dog and updated injectors I will never need to do it again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.