Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Optima Yellow Tops

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  NYresq 
#1 ·
I ordered a couple of Yellow Tops the other day. One had a minor crack on top. I am not concerned about the look all that much, and if it won't be of any material harm to the battery or affect it's life I am fine with throwing it in. However, I thought I would get what you guys thought. Send it back or just put it in and roll? Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
I just retired a yellow top from my Tacoma that was 6 years old. I would have them swap it out.

#3 ·
Wow that sucks...That crack my allow the cell to dry out causing a high resistance condition and also if the battery is mounted on the passenger side, it might cause the cell to be flooded with water when it rains...either way it will throw the cell out of balance with the rest of them and with the other battery as well...I would send it back...these trucks depend on the batteries being up to par way to much take a chance. If it was an old 12 valve p pumped cummins I would say take a chance if you wanted to, but not with a Duramax and all the electronics needed to run that engine.

#6 · (Edited)
I have a good story. I had a regular wet cell interetate blow up blow up in my 76 Eldorado caddilac.
It was Christmas Eve, and me and my buddies were riding around on some back country roads drinking and shooting cans and debris in a ditch. Car died, the battey had a bad internal connection we popped the hood and my buddy went to pull on the battery post and I yelled stop!...but it was two late and when he pulled on the post the battery blew up in his face...He was hit with acid and plastic pieces from the battery. We had to get him to the e.r. so they could wash the acid out of his eyes and sinuses and address the cuts and lacerations on his face. We were stranded in the middle of nowhere on the gravel country roads in backwoods Sardis Mississippi in 1987...so no cell phones. I looked in where the top of the battery used to be since it had been removed with extreme predgidous from the explosion. I saw the bad connection at the weld at the intercell connector and pushed it up against the side post piece inside the battery and made the connection, then we were able to start the car and get to the e.r.
Ever since then I have had the utmost respect for batteries...and I got to learn from somebody else's mistake. I can tell you my buddy will never mess with a battery again!!!

#7 ·
Jeez, that's a terrible story. Well my new battery is on the way. I put the other one in already and that truck cranks like new.

Reactions: Black HD
#8 ·
cracked case on a new battery, send it back. its no longer a sealed battery with a crack in the case. i cant see the pictures you posted to see the crack though. if its a new battery though, theres no reason to pay full price for broken stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.