Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Royal purple 15-40 anyone using it?

11K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Minerigger 
#1 ·
Getting ready to do the first oil change on my truck since I bought it, lmm with 140,000. Has anyone used royal purple 15-40 as there go to oil? Change intervals are going to be 5,000 miles, dont tow very much at all but if I do it's light. Also will be using acdelco filter. Just want to get some opinions! Thanks!

#2 ·
Delo, Mobil Delvac, or Rotella are just as good (or better) & cost much less then Royal Purple.

Oil filter try Mobil. M1-303

#3 ·
It'd be a big waste of money. For a 5000 mile OCI I would just run regular Rotella 15w-40, your engine won't care if it's synthetic or not. These engines really don't care for normal change intervals, they live just as long on regular 15w-40 at $13/gal as they do on the high dollar synthetics at $30+/gal. Only time synthetics help is when your going for an extended drain interval and using oil samples to determine how long to run it, I have seen guys go 30-40,000 miles between changes and pulling a sample every 3-5000 miles and changing the filter every 10k.

Synthetics do help if it's really cold and you run a 5w-40 though.

#5 ·
I never understood the oil sampling. It's gonna cost ~$20 per sample. I run mobil 1 5w-40 & mobil 1 m-303 filter. I can change my oil for ~$75, they are gonna have way more cost in sampling the oil than just changing it. Hopefully they are smart enough to change the oil filter at least every 10k or so (unless they have the bypass setup) and do a full front end grease job every 5k.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I have the amsoil bypass system. Get around 25 -30k miles between changes.

#7 ·
Rotella is gonna be definitely more accessible for me so I think I'll be going with it! I definitely agree that it wouldn't be worth the extra $ for 5000 OCI, Only reason I would even think of doing the oil samples would be for water in oil, other than that if it ain't got metal in it than no worries lol! Thanks for the input!

#10 ·
The rotella t6 is nice, can get it in a 2.5 gallon jug from walmart which is the exact amount our trucks take.

Reactions: Will_Squared
#9 ·
I've been running Royal purple HPS 10-40 for the last 100k miles and a royal purple filter. I called royal purple and talked with them about my driving, performance upgrades, etc.... And this was recommended

#11 ·
Of course it's what they recommend, they are a business who's goal is to make money by selling their products. Truth is, our engines really don't care if it's $10/gal or $60/gal. The engine won't last any longer or run any better with an expensive synthetic than it will on plain old Rotella 15w-40 that you got on clearance at the local Walmart.

Other than the occasional sample I see that had a damaged air filter or bad injectors, the lab results are considered boring. These engines just plain old go and have very very good wear numbers on any properly certified oil.

#12 ·
I run mine 10,000 between changes. I use mobil 1 TD and a mobil M1-303 filter. It works out to about once a year. With the DPF and EGR gone I could probably go longer, but for the cost of the oil and filter vs getting a sample tested, its easier for me to just change it...

But I definetely wouldn't run non-syn oil for 10,000 miles....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.