LB7 Fuel Pump - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Performance Upgrades Discuss what Intakes,Exhaust,Fuel System,Programmers,Tuners,&Trans. are right for you.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 08:59 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

LB7 Fuel Pump

Hey i have a 2002 gmc duramax and it has a superchips flashpaq tuner, mbrp exhaust, a ppe boost valve, and a profab intake horn, all on a stock trans and turbo and im wondering what would be the benefits to adding a bigger or better fuel pump?
I have no clue about what it will do if anything to help the performance of the truck or fuel mileage so any information will be appriciated

I would like to know what does this help if i were to get a better fuel pump or what mod i could do to make it deliver more fuel?
ive been told with more fuel comes more power, but is this true with just getting a better fuel pump and also does this mean more smoke?

im very confused, please help

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 SLE LBZ
Silver Birch Metallic

EFI Live by IdahoRob/ TransGo Jr/ Merchant Automotive Pump Rub Fix/ Suncoast Filter Loc/ Deviant Tie Rod Sleeves/ Rancho RS9000XL/ MBRP S6004P/ CAT Fuel Filter Adapter/ Alligator Transmission Repair Lines/ DHD Brace/ Blocked/ Shimmed

Previous Trucks
2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LS LB7.... Traded Up
2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE LB7.... Totaled by an Idiot
andrew24dub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 09:09 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
I'm That Guy...

You don't have a fuel pump unless you installed one. Add an AirDog165 lift pump, it will help prolong life of injectors by removing air and additional filtration.

CLICK TO READ: FORUM RULES AND DF STAFF!

Thank you Rob Coddens (Idaho Rob), Dustin @ ATP, Scott @ SDP, Kory Willis, and Mike L. for all of your help!

05 LLY CCSB 4wd - Mods coming (Truck Love from ATP Trucks and Copperhead Diesel expected soon)
SOLD: 05 LLY, 05 LLY, 09 LMM, 02 LB7

TDFDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2011, 11:51 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

So how can I get more fuel into the engine because I've heard with more fuel comes more power?

Silver Birch Metallic

EFI Live by IdahoRob/ TransGo Jr/ Merchant Automotive Pump Rub Fix/ Suncoast Filter Loc/ Deviant Tie Rod Sleeves/ Rancho RS9000XL/ MBRP S6004P/ CAT Fuel Filter Adapter/ Alligator Transmission Repair Lines/ DHD Brace/ Blocked/ Shimmed

Previous Trucks
Old 12-14-2011, 11:52 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Also I think it makes more smoke too, I'm not completely sure, sorry if these are dumb questions

Silver Birch Metallic

Previous Trucks
Old 12-14-2011, 12:59 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew24dub View Post
So how can I get more fuel into the engine because I've heard with more fuel comes more power?
You can buy a Lift Pump and install it on your truck. It will provide fuel to your injection pump to make it last longer and not work as hard. Like TFD said , an Air Dog is a good option because it also provides filtration of your fuel. If you have a tuner a lift pump will help out.

2003 GMC Sierra CCSB 2500HD 4x4
Duramax
Rancho lift, Rare Parts tie rods, Cognito braces, Isspro boost and EGT, S&B intake, UDP Cat adapter, Air Dog II 165, 35 inch Toyo Open Country MT, 20x10 wheels, MBRP 4 inch Cool Duals, Troll Performance Tuning EFI Live tuned by Kory Willis

Thanks to Brent at Linclon Diesel Specialties. If you need LB7 injectors, check them out.
BIG PHIL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2011, 03:07 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

So basically what does that mean, will a lift pump inject more fuel or what?

Silver Birch Metallic

Previous Trucks
Old 12-14-2011, 03:29 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
Bobo
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew24dub View Post
So basically what does that mean, will a lift pump inject more fuel or what?
A duramax has a high pressure common rail pump called a cp3. It sucks fuel from the tank through your fuel lines. A lift pump mounts close to the tank and sucks fuel from the tank to provide positive pressure up to the CP3 pump through the fuel lines. It increases the responsiveness of the cp3 pump. The cp3 can build pressure in the rail faster if it has an adequate supply of fuel waiting for it at the flood gate so to speak. Without a lift pump, the gate opens and the cp3 has to wait to draw fuel into it.
Engine Parts(head gasket kits,headstuds,pistons,rods,etc)
Full Built Engines
Transmission kits or Full Built Transmissions from PPE or Suncoast
Turbos
Injectors(stock or larger) Lift Pumps, CP3's, Twin Cp3 kits
And many more products for your Duramax Diesel!!

DieselX T-Shirt Sale
DieselX-Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 07:21 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

anybody ever try a holley black pump? and if they did what they do to install it
dennis53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 07:31 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Another plus for a lift pump-- you don't have to pump the primer when you change the filter.
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, blocked, fingered, de-badged, PCV, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, PPE on 2, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.