Lift pump location - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Performance Upgrades Discuss what Intakes,Exhaust,Fuel System,Programmers,Tuners,&Trans. are right for you.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 03:42 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Lift pump location

I had this in General Discussion but no one replied so I am reposting here....so please help a fellow DMax brother out.

I would like to install a lift pump (kennedy) in between the Aux fuel filter and the OEM one under the hood. Both fuel filters are under the hood with vacuum gauge coming off the Aux fuel filter.

I want to be able to read vacuum pressure from the aux fuel filter and if I install a pump before the aux fuel filter then it will turn into a pressure gauge and not vacuum gauge. The Vacuum gauge tells me when to replace the fuel filter when it hits 10psi. Already have the gauge run mounted and powered in the cab.

Someone posted that centrifugal pumps should be as close to the tank as possible or is it possible for me to install it under the hood in between the Aux and OEM filters?

Any problem doing it that way?
2007 Chevrolet 2500HD LT Classic. Raptor 150. Titan Tank. CAT fuel filter. EGR block. Transgo JR shift Kit. Pump rub installed. Bilstein 5100 Shocks. Air-Lift bags and compressor kit. Idaho Rob Tune with 5P Locking switch. Kenwood DDX418. FPRv shim kit.

“Have no idea what code it threw. What was I doing when the code came on...(sheepishly looks at ground and moves foot back and forth)....going fast.”
drakeremoray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2011, 12:55 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

Emailed John over at Kennedy and asked him what my options are. Will upload his email when I get it.

-Stephen
2007 Chevrolet 2500HD LT Classic. Raptor 150. Titan Tank. CAT fuel filter. EGR block. Transgo JR shift Kit. Pump rub installed. Bilstein 5100 Shocks. Air-Lift bags and compressor kit. Idaho Rob Tune with 5P Locking switch. Kenwood DDX418. FPRv shim kit.

“Have no idea what code it threw. What was I doing when the code came on...(sheepishly looks at ground and moves foot back and forth)....going fast.”
Old 12-24-2011, 04:14 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakeremoray View Post
I had this in General Discussion but no one replied so I am reposting here....so please help a fellow DMax brother out.

I would like to install a lift pump (kennedy) in between the Aux fuel filter and the OEM one under the hood. Both fuel filters are under the hood with vacuum gauge coming off the Aux fuel filter.

I want to be able to read vacuum pressure from the aux fuel filter and if I install a pump before the aux fuel filter then it will turn into a pressure gauge and not vacuum gauge. The Vacuum gauge tells me when to replace the fuel filter when it hits 10psi. Already have the gauge run mounted and powered in the cab.

Someone posted that centrifugal pumps should be as close to the tank as possible or is it possible for me to install it under the hood in between the Aux and OEM filters?

Any problem doing it that way?

Not a good idea to mount the pump that far forward, there's a reason why it should be back by the fuel tank and that is to have the section of tube with vacuum in it as short as posssible. You will want positive pressure going through ALL of your filters. Over all it's alot easier to push fuel than it is to pull it. If you want to be able to read your system for filter changes then just swap out your gauge for one that has positive pressure (0-15 psi works well although some vacuum gauges even go to low positive psi too).

Here's the install locations you can choose (page 2):
http://www.kennedydiesel.com/docs/Ba...stallation.pdf
2005 Silverado EC/SB, LLY, 4WD, EFI DSP5 V2 (Idaho Rob at ATP), Edge CTS w/ EGT probe, LML Exhaust Manifold, PPE shimmed FPRV, Banks LBZ air cleaner, Profab intake, LBZ Turbo Mouthpiece, Kennedy twin lift pumps w/ megafilter, Corsa 304 SS Exhaust, Mike L tranny cooler, EXAXT Steering System, Redhead Power Steering Box w/ Amsoil PS fluid, Green Torsion Keys, Allison Deep Pan w/ Suncoast Filterlock and Transynd ATF, Bilstein 5100's (Norcal), Cognito UCA's, 17" NBS alloy rims, 265/70R17 Michelin LTX M/S2's, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT, CubbyCam Backup Camera, Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, Alphatherm AT-38OD Washer Fluid Heater
MTL_Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2011, 10:18 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL_Dmax View Post
Not a good idea to mount the pump that far forward, there's a reason why it should be back by the fuel tank and that is to have the section of tube with vacuum in it as short as posssible. You will want positive pressure going through ALL of your filters. Over all it's alot easier to push fuel than it is to pull it.
Someone should have told GM that before they installed the CP3 then....

Man, I am not to happy.

My truck says "change fuel filter" all the time now and I know it is because of the added Aux filter and it sensing more resistance. Can I use the Vacuum gauge as a pressure gauge? I have the vacuum sensing unit in the cab and I am guessing that will need to be pulled out....what a mess....dammit.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:01 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakeremoray View Post
Someone should have told GM that before they installed the CP3 then....

CP3 is fine where it is, someone should have just told GM don't forget the lift pump.
2005 Silverado EC/SB, LLY, 4WD, EFI DSP5 V2 (Idaho Rob at ATP), Edge CTS w/ EGT probe, LML Exhaust Manifold, PPE shimmed FPRV, Banks LBZ air cleaner, Profab intake, LBZ Turbo Mouthpiece, Kennedy twin lift pumps w/ megafilter, Corsa 304 SS Exhaust, Mike L tranny cooler, EXAXT Steering System, Redhead Power Steering Box w/ Amsoil PS fluid, Green Torsion Keys, Allison Deep Pan w/ Suncoast Filterlock and Transynd ATF, Bilstein 5100's (Norcal), Cognito UCA's, 17" NBS alloy rims, 265/70R17 Michelin LTX M/S2's, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT, CubbyCam Backup Camera, Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, Alphatherm AT-38OD Washer Fluid Heater
MTL_Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2011, 11:01 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

I am running two filters and a lift pump. On mine the Cat came first…then the lift pump (both on the frame rail ahead of the cooler) and then the OEM filter.
I only change the Cat when I feel a change in performance which is noticeable when she is dirty.
Out of curiosity I changed the Cat the other day, it had about 20,000 kms on it. Cut it open and found I had wasted my money by changing it. Could have gone a lot further with it.
Dieselsite Bypass Coolant Filter
AFE Mouthpiece, Firestone Air Ride,
Undercover Tonneau Cover, Bed Rug,
223,000 kms. and counting
05Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2011, 11:26 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Rattler View Post
I am running two filters and a lift pump. On mine the Cat came first…then the lift pump (both on the frame rail ahead of the cooler) and then the OEM filter.
I only change the Cat when I feel a change in performance which is noticeable when she is dirty.
Out of curiosity I changed the Cat the other day, it had about 20,000 kms on it. Cut it open and found I had wasted my money by changing it. Could have gone a lot further with it.

That's the reason I installed the setup I have so it would let me know when to change the fuel filter by showing me the vacuum pressure (10psi) change limit.

Here is the setup that I got to let me know when to change fuel filter:
FuPro Diesel Fuel Filtration System

But now that the truck is showing more resistance and throwing the "change fuel filter" dash status I am now in need of a lift pump.

So, I wonder if I can move my Aux fuel filter to the frame rail then do a lift pump after it so that the lift pump is closer to the tank and not under the hood as I had planned.

Thoughts?

Old 12-26-2011, 08:42 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Like this…..The Cat is just ahead of the fuel cooler….
Dieselsite Bypass Coolant Filter
AFE Mouthpiece, Firestone Air Ride,
Undercover Tonneau Cover, Bed Rug,
223,000 kms. and counting

Last edited by 05Rattler; 10-08-2012 at 08:00 AM.
05Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 10:17 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Email from John Kennedy:

The lift pump should be added as close to the tank as possible. Simply shut down my lift pump to check restriction. I find it best to simply check restriction periodically at the OE test port with engine running at idle in park. This gives a nice repeatable result.

Lift pumps near tank to OEM fuel filter and then to Mega filter under air box tray. Best solution

John Kennedy
Kennedy Sales and Service
W3567 26 Rd
Loyal WI 54446
Ph. 715-255-9433
Fax 715-255-9499
john@kennedydiesel.com
Kennedy Diesel

Looks like I got some more work to do on this.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:23 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Hey Dude, Do you have any idea what your fuel vacuum gauge was reading when the code was thrown?

The FUPRO man
moparbill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.