Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

egr and pcv

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  JAXDIESEL 
#1 ·
New to diesels so i was wondering why people do egr deletes. what is the pro and con and is there a right and wrong way to do it. Same question goes for the pcv reroute. Any input what should or shouldnt be done for a lbz would be appreciated

Already did the 5 inch exhaust and did the edge tuner becuae i got it real cheap and has afe intake

Thank you

#2 ·
If you look you can find some very detailed info on each. Here is the short story.....
Egr - recirculates exhaust gases through intake, and soot from exhaust can build up in turbo and other areas

Pcv - can have oily residue build up on intake area, helping soot from Egr to build up faster. Also many claim a lot of oil buildup on Intercooler and boot from pcv

#3 ·
^^^X2 you can also click the link in my sig. :drink

#4 ·
Speaking of signature....OP, click User CP, and then "Edit Signature" and put your truck's info in there (Year, mods, any other useful info) so we know what you've got and if you need help, that makes it easier to get good responses quicker. Plus, chicks dig cool sigs :thumb

OK, Re-Route is simple, and the EGR is a must if you don't have super strict emissions checks. Most everyone will admit the EGR isn't exactly great for your engine. If a certain D_R_C chimes in you may want to disregard that opinion however. :poke[1]:

#5 ·
ok well i bought a egr blocker plate before or when i install it do i need to do a pcv reroute or can i leave that as it

#7 ·
ya it can clear codes with no problem had to when my alternator was going out the transmission wasnt shifting but any who do i need to reroute my pcv

#8 ·
Clearing and blocking codes are not the same

The Egr system will throw codes constantly and put truck in limp mode if blocked or messed with. iirc, edge evo will block it, but double check before the block is installed.

Egr and pcv are separate, and can be done at different times. My Egr block was installed in sept, my pcv reroute 2 weeks ago. If you can, I would recommend doing it all at the same time.

#9 · (Edited)
ive seen pictures before the egr delete that why i was looking into it. Do you think i should go ahead and do them both. its just rolled 103,000 Thanks for the sig idea. It plain for now but explains whats going on.

#10 ·
Does the LLY throw the codes when you block the EGR, I Blocked it about 2 months ago and have had no problems with codes?

#12 ·
If your truck has the FE9 code in the glove box, then it won't throw codes. Luckily mine is the same way. Blocked and no code, so thankfully did not have to buy a fingerstick or programmer.

#11 ·
Duramaxme, I'd do both if you can IMO I'd block it first. Will your edge block the code? The pcv you can do with no dtc's.

Millertime, the way I understand it should throw a code, don't know if it will throw the check engine light. When I got my first ATP tunes they missed the egr block, the only way i knew was by the dtc's on the autocal, never set off the cel. I guess you could just get a fingerstick if it becomes a issue, might suck if it limps it tho.

#16 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input. I am going to do the pcv reroute tomorrow the cheaper way with home depot visit.

As for the egr delete is there certain ones i should choose or better place to by from. There all sorts of type i see from alligator performance and all season diesel and other places. I would like to do a full kit as that would be a better choice right?

#17 ·
On the pcv re-route IMO run two separate hoses instead of the t. Just my opinion tho

I just got the sdp kit, haven't had a chance to install it but I really like how it looks. You would be just fine blocking it unless you really want to delete it altogether, I'm basically deleting mine because it's not doing anything so out it goes. Not sure if the edge will block the codes, I'd find that out first. Jason (blackcloud556) @ alligator could help you out I'm sure, great guys to deal with also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.