Fluidampr Install/Results LMM - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Performance Upgrades Discuss what Intakes,Exhaust,Fuel System,Programmers,Tuners,&Trans. are right for you.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 09:08 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
Banned

Fluidampr Install/Results LMM

Wanted to share my results after installing a Fluidampr viscous harmonic damper part # 830111 on my 2008 LMM Duramax. Install is very straight forward and took about 1 and 1/2 hours to complete.

Tools needed:
Fan clutch removal kit
Body clip tool or pick + small flat screwdriver
Lisle Duramax flywheel locking tool(comes with damper bolt socket)
Large steel 4ft cheater bar! Eat your wheaties and be at least 200lbs or you will have trouble.
3/4 breaker bar (1/2 will snap).
13mm short socket for 3 fan guard bolts
Bar stock steel to lock water pump pulley if LMM.
Surpentine removal kit or 1/2 breaker bar.

**** Make sure you trim the lower fan guard as it will rub on the front of the damper. This needs to be added to the instructions!

This essentially goes the same as a water pump Tear down with exception of pump removal (unless you are ultra anal).Install flywheel locking tool. Remove old damper and clean crank snout with Brakleen. You will re use the factory damper bolt. Lightly coat the snout with anti seize. Guide the fluidampr on making sure to align the keyway. Push until the damper seats all the way back on shoulder of crank(you will hear a thud when it is seated. Install bolt and torque to 74 ft lbs. Now mark the bolt so that you know when it has been turned 105 degrees as per Fluidampr's instructions. Now install belt, fan assembly and button up the top shroud. I always disconnect the battery's whenever I do any engine bay work. VERY IMPORTANT!!!!! REMOVE LISLE FLYWHEEL TOOL. If you try to start prior you will cause damage to flywheel and starter. Double check everything and start to check operation. ** please note this is only for reference. Always double check manufacturers written directions and consult a professional if you are not a proficient mechanic.

Results:
All I can say is WOW! My LMM sounds like a LML. The engine vibrations have been cut in half and power seems up a little(might be psychological). But vibration and sound are dramatic. Even the transmission seems to shift a bit more smoothly. Overall I am very impressed. Keep in mind that my truck is low mile and mostly stock. For power add on's these shine even more. This technology has been used in big rig over the road diesels for years, and I can see why! Any questions please feel free to ask.

Last edited by AZFIREGUY79; 01-13-2013 at 09:54 PM.
AZFIREGUY79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 09:35 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

Couple questions because I'm curious... What made you do this mod to begin with? And did you reuse the factory crank bolt or install a new one?

Thanks for sharing, I thought my LMM was pretty quiet for a diesel already. Good to know it can be improved!
| AirDog 2 Liftpump | BigDipper 30 over injectors |
| DMaxStore Frontend Kit | Wilwood 6 Piston Brakes | Cognito Upper A-Arms | Traction Bars | Mag-Hytec Diff Cover |
| HID's | Recon Taillights | Recon Cab Light | | Black Suede headliner | Lockpick Gen 6 |
SMOKINV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 10:35 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKINV8 View Post
Couple questions because I'm curious... What made you do this mod to begin with? And did you reuse the factory crank bolt or install a new one?

Thanks for sharing, I thought my LMM was pretty quiet for a diesel already. Good to know it can be improved!
To be honest I mostly chose this mod for comfort. As smooth as an LMM is for a diesel, it's still a diesel. The small vibrations drive me nuts. And in my opinion there are few diesels that are "quiet enough". There's also the added crank protection, improved timing accuracy and drivetrain gains. These also don't wear out. And if you listen to many of the Internet idiots (yes we unfortunately have a few here) they will say these dampers can leak etc. this is false! The silicone is sealed and is so viscous it can never leak. It doesn't have rubber which degrades naturally and needs replacement.... Or others who claim viscous dampers break cranks. There is a reason high output large industrial diesels only choose this technology! It's proven to be the best for a diesel. Guess I just get sick of hillbilly morons who have no data and blame their misfortune on a proven product. VW TDI guys swear by these. And I'm starting to see why.

Regarding the crank/damper bolt, I re used the factory one as per recommended by tech at fluidampr. Really no reason to replace as I'm pretty confident it's not a TTY.

Last edited by AZFIREGUY79; 12-11-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:09 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Sounds like you did quite a bit of research before your purchase, and you knew exactly what I was wondering about the crank bolt too. The torquing method sure sounded like a tty bolt, and with the stuff I'm familiar with its kind of a not-so-great idea to reuse those. Sounds like that's not the case here.
SMOKINV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 03:37 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKINV8 View Post
Sounds like you did quite a bit of research before your purchase, and you knew exactly what I was wondering about the crank bolt too. The torquing method sure sounded like a tty bolt, and with the stuff I'm familiar with its kind of a not-so-great idea to reuse those. Sounds like that's not the case here.
Yeah I did a little reading lol! I called Fluidampr direct and asked the Ivan about the damper bolt and he said they do not recommend it be replaced in all cases. Said some sources claim it to be TTY and others dont.The instructions also mention nothing about a new bolt and most guys re use. Fluidampr has never had a duramax bolt break since they started producing the duramax damper. DO NOT use loctite or anti seize on the bolt threads. Just make certain its clean as discussed above. If you are worried about the damper bolt they are $5.10 at your local GM dealer.

Also, GM/ISUZU's torque spec has been 74 ft lbs plus 90 degrees for quite some time. They released a TSB stating new recommendation is 105 degrees which fluidampr will change in there instructions. If you have installed at 90 degrees that is sufficient and DOES NOT need to be re done. I spoke with fluidampr engineer who backed this up.

Last edited by AZFIREGUY79; 12-11-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:01 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Banned

Just wanted to report back after some testing. Have had the truck up to about 80 MPH and its very smooth compared to before. My wife asked what I did to the engine after driving it. She didn't think it could get much more quiet, and stated to her it's as quiet as a gas motor in her friends Tahoe lol. I plan on removing my allison in a few weeks to upgrade it for my eventual duramaxtuner SPADE. Not going to roll the dice on a stock converter and C3 clutch issue. I just wanted to thank IVAN over at Fluidampr/Vibratech for making a truly impressive damper. It has exceeded my expectations and will compliment my future HP upgrades nicely!
Old 01-01-2013, 03:22 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Nice writeup, thanks for sharing. It's amazing how a dampener can alter how a diesel runs....it also does amazing things for the Ford diesels.

--CC, SB 4X4 Duramax Diesel/ 6 spd Allison Auto (PTO high idle mod)
--EFILive tuning by ...ME with 68MM 4094VA Garrett Powermax Stage 2 Turbo
--SILVERLINE 4" Stainless Exhaust, Modded stock Airbox and LIBERATOR Stainless Downpipe
--AMSOIL Synthetics and filtration bumper to bumper, including Bypass
--DDM tuning HID's in Low and High Beams, 6000K Lows/4250K Highs
--PPE rear Diff cover, PPE Deep Trans Pan, PPE High Flow Manifolds and Up Pipes
--Danville 3" Y Bridge and big air intake kit / EGR delete
--Airdog II DF200 w/ CAT UHE filter upgrade...etc,etc...
KB3MMX is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 04:10 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Nice write up. Thanks
2006 Chevy Silverado ..LBZ..mbrp 5" turbo exhaust (no muffler or cats) modified stock air intake, EFI by Kory Willis, Big Dipper stage IV trans, Precision ML, Pump rub fix, Alligator trans lines, Autometer guages, Airdog II-165, Ready Lift leveling kit, 285/75 Nitto Dune Grappler, Bilstein shocks, Cognito idler and pitman arm braces, PPE tie rod sleeves, fingerstick, blocker plate, pvc reroute,air intake regulator blocked, Banks boost tube, All Amsoil fluids.
tmm403 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 03:33 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
Banned

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.