Reprogramming ECM - Duramileage? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Performance Upgrades Discuss what Intakes,Exhaust,Fuel System,Programmers,Tuners,&Trans. are right for you.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2008, 07:30 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Reprogramming ECM - Duramileage?

Has anyone tried this? I copied this from the powerupdiesel website

SO WHAT EXACTLY IS DURAMILEAGE?

DURAMILEAGE is the product that will do all the things you were hoping for... that the others promised to do... but could not.

First off... DURAMILEAGE is NOT:

* an off the shelf hand-held programmer
* a performance chip that installs in the factory computer

DURAMILEAGE is the "recalibrating" of your truck's ECM with proprietary fuel maps that were developed by more than 25 years of GM automotive experience.

The ECM, also known as the ECU or PCM, is the "brain box" that controls and manages the injection of fuel into the motor. It does this by using sophisticated formulas and feedback from several engine sensors to regulate the air/fuel ratios.

Properly recalibrating or remapping these "fuel tables" results in changing the "peak efficiency" of the motor... which in turn increases its fuel efficiency.

In recent years manufacturers have set these tables to favor "better emissions" over fuel efficiency which has caused the fuel mileage of the diesel engines to drop.

When we remap the fuel tables on the ECM... your engine now has a faster torque rise at a lower RPM... resulting in a stronger "bottom end" power band.

This significantly improves the fuel economy because the engine does more work with less effort.

Diesels are a workhorse engine and are designed for LOW-RPM... HIGH-TORQUE output.

When the factory takes the power from the botton-end and moves it further up the RPM just to cut emissions... you also lose the power you need to get big loads moving out of the hole.

With the capability to "Fine-Tune" over 50+ potential fuel tables and engine functions... our primary tuning option for the Duramax diesel is our High-Mileage Fuel Economy Tunes... which also provide modest horsepower gains of 65HP for improved towing.

Also... we can perform High-Performance POWER Tunes and "HOT-Racing" Tunes (150HP+) that blow away any hand-held programmer's so-called "HOT" tune because we can fine tune more engine functions.

We individually customize each truck owner's ECM with an unlimited range of "tried and true"calibrations... resulting in wider variety of performance levels that far surpasses ANY aftermarket performance products currently available.

With years of knowledge and experience selling diesel performance upgrades... I truly believe that our DURAMILEAGE tuning is the most effective and safest way to increase your Duramax's fuel economy by as much as 4-7 miles per gallon.

It makes for interesting reading at least. What do you guys think? Has anyone tried this???
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2008, 08:42 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

Duramileage

I'll be looking into that one. My 2001 duramax fell victim to the secret GM reflash, last fall and lost 4 mpg dealer says they can't go backward on programming. iNTERESTING THING WAS I DIDN'T EVEN ASK FOR THE REFLASH.
thanks for the post

Last edited by 1HOTDURAMAX; 05-20-2008 at 08:47 PM.
1HOTDURAMAX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2008, 09:21 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

I just got off the phone with the guy that does the reprogramming. Talked with him for 1/2 hour and the points that he made made sense to me and he seemed to really listen to what I wanted out of my truck. I just can't believe what some of these guys do to their trucks and the money they spend doing it. I guess I'm just gettin old and arnry, lol. I think I'll sleep on the idea of him doing my ecm for a week or so and then decide yes or no. Thanks for your reply. Good luck on gettin yours straightened out.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:19 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Oh...... Squirrel!

Hmm personally id get a hand held programmer. You can get most programmers for around $400.00 that do the same thing and you can adjust them your self. The custom tuning that you posted is a good theorie but you ont be able to adjust it if you need to. The only big concern I see is if you take it to the dealer or the ecm goes out and the dealer reflashes your comp. Then your out your $$$$ and the tune .
Exterior: Escalade Handles, Front windows tinted to match the rear, painted bumpers & mirrors, billet grille, 305/50/20 Cooper Zeons on BMF Novakanes Death Metal, Cognito Braces, Stainless Sleeves, Train Horns
Interior: 4 Kicker 10in Subs in 2 custom box's, Autometer Ultra lite II Pyro and Boost gauges, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge, HID Lows & Fogs, Painted accents
Performance: EFI Live Tuned by Blackout Performance, Custom Blackout Performance S475 over stock twins, 45 over stock injectors, MBRP Turbo Back Stainless Exhaust (Straight piped), Raptor Lift Pump, AFE Filter, GMAX6 kit with Suncoast 1057 converter installed by Blackout Performance
1999 Ford F-550 PowerStroke ''Wrecker'' **Jerrdan bed, S&B Intake
Tow Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2008, 11:33 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Exclamation

I would have to agree with TowMaster. First, it almost sounds like EFI Live in a way. You will be at their mercy if you have any problems or adjustments or you have to bring your truck in for service.
Speedpro1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2008, 06:12 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Good points made by both of you, towmaster and speedpro1. I hadn't thought about the possibility of an unwanted reflash of the ECM. So in the interest of mileage gain, especially while towing, where is my money spent MOST wisely. Air intake, tuner or exhaust??? I really appreciate the input and knowledge you guys share.

Thank you very much and have a great day.

Good luck this week on your situation speedpro1
Old 05-21-2008, 12:03 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

duramileage

the tinkerer in me would almost like to go to efi live or some other one similar. but i am also very careful with what i do to my truck . I am afraid if i got into a programmer like that i may damage something that i dont want to . i was thinking of keeping the original ecm from my truck for a spare or to reinstall just in case i would have to go to the dealer for something. the duramileage is only $200.more and then you can keep the original one.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:52 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Having a spare ECM is not a bad thing.

Killerbeeperformance.com

Last edited by Killerbee; 08-20-2009 at 12:50 PM.
Killerbee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2008, 12:10 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

duramileage

Killerbee , i dont think this duramileage is a locked tune. I was going to keep my original ecm so if i had to go to the dealer, i could slip it back in and he couldn't screw my tune up. this is a very mild tune for mileage gains.
what do you suggest to straighten out the mess that gm is getting us into by updated flash programs that screw our mileage all up ???
Old 05-28-2008, 05:54 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

If you are getting significantly reduced mileage, it was not intended in any flash update. Nonetheless, Custom Tuning makes this a mute point.

Killerbeeperformance.com

Last edited by Killerbee; 08-20-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Killerbee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.