Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Anyone Running an Airdog II 4G?

48K views 112 replies 34 participants last post by  D_R_C 
#1 ·
I would like to hear from those running the newer 4G lift pump. Have there been any problems with reliability? How was the quality of the kit? So far I think I've only read about one failure.

I bought an Airdog II 165 (non 4g) and am thinking about returning it after reading about all the pump problems. Guys on the cumminsforum seem to avoid the company like the plague. I'm torn between the Fass 150 and the new 4G Airdog. If the quality and reliability seem to be ok then I am leaning toward the 4G due to the quieter pump (although I've never heard a FASS).

I know lift pump threads are annoying but I haven't heard much about the 4G from people that actually own and run one.

Thanks

#2 ·
I never had any problem with my 165 (non 4g) I had on my lbz, now I'm running the 4g on my lml and haven't had any problems with it and it much quieter then the original 165.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#5 ·
I'm in the same boat, about to pull the trigger on one or the other. I'm leaning toward the new Fass titanium. I've heard airdog has been bought and sold by multiple companies in the last few years. Usually not a good sign

#6 ·
My Fass titainium 150 is quite, especially after I installed a fuel sump. I believe a sump takes a lot of stress off any lift pump, they work harder sucking thru that smallish draw straw.

I haven't heard anything bad about the 4G, but I personally don't know anyone running a 4G.
The price difference between the fass and airdog was a factor for me as well. Be sure to purchase from a authorized dealer so your warranty is valid.

#7 ·
:thumb what he said....

I haven't heard anyone with issues....two dodges have had air dog pump fails....but no dmax trucks that I know of.....

Reactions: 830king
#8 ·
I'm running an airdog II 4g and the pump is pretty quite. as for reliability it hasn't been on the truck for long but the first week I had it on it made a 12 hour non stop trip from ohio to vacation spot. and another 12 hours back. no issues thus far, works with factory remote start. no complaints, fuel economy even went up a bit.

#9 ·
Thanks for the replies. Now what about the mounting hardware, wiring harness, and fuel lines in the kits...do they seem like quality pieces?

I agree with the sump idea...whatever makes the lift pumps job easier sounds like a good idea. Maybe this is why so many of the Cummins guys have problems with the Airdog? I dont know those trucks very well but I thought I read they have a pretty restrictive fuel pickup requiring a draw straw mod....not to mention higher fuel pressure? I can see lack of fuel flow, and cavitation causing pumps to heat up and compromise seals...leading to fuel intrusion (inside the pump motor). I could also be very wrong...just seems odd that there are less airdog complaints with the Duramax. Either way I will probably make a decision here soon.

Thanks

#10 · (Edited)
Rule of thumb in the hydraulics/irrigation industry the pickup side is a minimum the same size as the pressure side preferably larger. What surprises is FASS and Airdog still warranty these pumps knowing full well the majority of guys never follow directions and install a sump or draw straw.

If FASS and Airdog just plain ignore this on the 2001-2010 Duramax trucks and deny a warranty based on no draw straw or sump I have my reservations if the pumps actually pump what they claim or even capable of doing so ....

Installing either a sump or draw straw you will reduce you chances of having to replace the pump under warranty, the more I read about a lifetime warranty the less I'm inclined to purchase and I question who's lifetime the companies or yours...???

Below is a link of some good pointers of how not install a sump, read carefully what I wrote in the post 121 in the link and of course remember you're drilling a large hole in a perfectly good non-leaking tank and picking up all the fuel asphaltenes in the bottom of the tank if you do not drive for a week maybe a month.

BEANS SUMP INSTALL

#13 ·
The sump is not an idea for the pump, rule of thumb in the hydraulics/irrigation industry the pickup side is a minimum the same size as the pressure side preferably larger. What surprises is FASS and Airdog still warranty these pumps knowing full well the majority of guys never follow directions and install a sump or draw straw.

If FASS and Airdog just plain ignore this on the 2001-2010 Duramax trucks and deny a warranty based on no draw straw or sump I have my reservations if the pumps actually pump what they claim or even capable of doing so ....

Installing either a sump or draw straw or will reduce you chances of having to replace the pump under warranty, the more I read about a lifetime warranty the less I'm inclined to purchase and I question who's lifetime the companies or yours...???

Below is a link of some good pointers of how not install a sump, read carefully what I wrote in the post 121 in the link and of course remember you're drilling a large hole in a perfectly good non-leaking tank and picking up all the fuel asphaltenes in the bottom of the tank if you do not drive for a week maybe a month.

BEANS SUMP INSTALL
I'm a bit confused by your post. Are you recommending, or dissuading me from going the sump route? The truck is not my DD and doesn't get driven during the winter (unless absolutely needed). Trust me, I'm not loving the idea of taking a hole saw to the tank, but I also don't want to crawl under the truck and replace lift pumps every few months (if that's the cause of failure). Is the stock pickup good enough for a lift pump? Also, are asphaltenes really that big of a problem? Shouldn't regular fuel filter replacement intervals take care of most of it? Either way I think I am leaning toward the Fass 150 due to price and recommendation. If it will work ok on the OEM sending unit I have no problem with that.

Thanks.

#12 ·
I had a AD2 165 pump failure at 30k miles of use, the seal between the pump and motor failed and fuel got into the brushes and wiped them out,

#15 ·
Just installed an Air Dog 4G. Very happy with the quality and noise (can't even hear the damn thing) and the install.

I'll do a sump eventually, but for now I'm using the stock pickup.

#19 ·
Ordering one of these soon along with tunes and CTS2 for my 2016. Should be here tomorrow.

#20 ·
I've had my 165 4G for about 1 year, simple install. Only hear it with the door open on key cycle to start. No Sump, no straw just the stock set-up. I run it until the low fuel light comes on (no 1/4 tank issues). Got a great deal on it From Alligator performance.

#21 ·
#23 ·
Been running the 4g on my lb7 for almost a year now, haven't had any problems and love it. I'll post a link for the aftermarket filters. If you keep up the maintenance on them they work wonders. Usually change them every 10-12k miles or when the "pump humming" starts getting louder.

#24 ·
If you keep the stock filter how often should you change it when running a lift pump?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#25 ·
You'll hear it. I've heard a lot of people do them every oil change the filters are like 15-$20 a pop. You don't have to but that keeps it running clean. You can also wait till the humming noise starts getting noticeably louder than when you first got it. That means there's a lot of build up in the filters and you should replace them. It's up to you and how you maintenance your truck. If you want to keep it running clean and prevent more wear and tear do it every like 5-10k miles.

#26 ·
Ok that's good for the lift pump but I meant how often should I change the stock fuel filter that comes on the truck when running a lift pump?

#27 ·
I change the stock filter under the hood every other time I change lift pump filters. I'd go no longer than 2 years on it tho.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#31 ·
Every couple years or whatever you see fit really. I put my lift-pump on with the fuel filter life at ~96% and now it's at 89% after about 5000 miles or so after the lift-pump install.

I don't think you could go wrong with a yearly change or what ever you deem fit either. Cheap insurance in the grand scheme of things.

#33 ·
Anybody have a link to the draw straw for the AirDog?

#36 ·
Keep hearing I need a sump but if there are no issues with the stock pickup I'd rather not drill large holes in the bottom of my fuel tank. These LMLs also have a shield on the bottom of the tank and then the line is hanging down below the truck which isn't good during off-road situations.

#37 ·
The cover will still fit over the sump if that is the route you take. Like I said, considering your plans and what you want to do with the truck, I'd like to say you will be golden with the stock pickup. No drilling, nothing other than popping the stock line off (push lock fitting, easy as pie) and popping on the AD line.

#38 ·
#39 · (Edited)
Several have stuck with the stock pick-up even with the 165, without any problems.
I would suggest to leave it stock unless you started having fueling issues.
In case your still interested in the draw straw/suction tube, here you go, scroll down to page 15.
http://www.pureflowairdog.com/manuals/A4SPBC085.pdf

I know people say it's no big deal drilling a hole in the bottom of the tank for a sump, I wouldn't do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.