Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Oiled or Dry

13K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  mray 
#1 ·
I've got an 6.6 and what's better for it, an oiled filter or a dry filter?

#3 ·
Oil will screw with your MAF.... Ask me how I know :poke[1]:

#6 ·
Oiled or dry what?

I use an oiled S&B filter in my truck. Every place that I have ever been to for the life of the truck while I've owned it for oil changes, etc...will attempt to pull the filter and then clean and oil it with K/N stuff unless I get to them and STOP them before they get started. Then, they will speed dry the thing with the air used to fill tires. This is even when the filter is already damn near flawless. Be ready to deal with a lot of stupid at the cost of your personal sanity and potentially your MAF and turbo. I know I've received a few crosswayed looks over the past few years when making my point about not touch my damn air filter when I take the truck to get the oil changed.

I will recommend that if you don't have enough time to allow yourself to give the filter 24 hours to dry, like over night and the next day possibly, then the 30 minutes to an hour to allow the oil to bleed, get yourself a second filter to simply switch out with the other while is "detoxing". If you can't commit to this, you probably want a dry filter. Aside from that, I've owned the truck for the last 100,000 miles and not had any problems using the oiled version. Just maybe a few people who think I'm on the rag all the time.rantonoff

#8 ·
Both, I used oiled but switch the dry one on so I have ample time to clean, dry, oil, dry the filter before I put it back on. I've never had an issue with the S&B oil. I check the inside of the intake tube passed the filter and it's always been clean and dry. I also use the S&B filter cover to keep out the big stuff.

Crap...this reminds me it's time to clean my air filter! 😝

#9 ·
I use a dry filter with a filter wrap on my s&b. No problems with too much oil on the filter and making the maf sensor go crazy.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#10 ·
You'll have better filteration with oiled if you live/drive in dusty areas then the oiled would be better.
You'll get this advice and suggestion from the airfilter company, call the company brand your interested in tech support for this info.

If you follow directions on cleaning and re-oiling you should not have issues, so many don't/won't they are the ones that have issues from over oiling including MAF issues then complain about oiled.

I've run oiled airfilters since around 1990 with no issues, in every vehicle I own and drive, presently 5 which includes my MotorHome.

#12 ·
I also have used oiled filters with no problems but I keep a second one ready to go when the time comes to clean the one being used, to each their own.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.