Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Can you run lift pump and stock filter?

19K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  Rocky Point 
#1 ·
I have a 2014 Dmax with 28000 miles on it. I do plan on deleting it some day but do not need tons of horse power, just want to get rid of the emissions crap and be done with it. My question is to save on the cp4 pump and protect it better I plan on adding a lift pump (Fass I think) with the 95 gpm pump. Would like to add it due to the fact that its two extra filters and cant hurt I guess. Can this be added and still run the factory fuel filter?

#2 ·
humpin:

#3 ·
I'm glad they can both be ran together. Now my other question, if the fass pump goes out or quits working for some reason will the cp4 be able to pull fuel threw the fass system to keep the truck running. I have read stories about the fass pumps going out and taking a week or so to get a replacement.

#5 ·
Since you're worried about the CP4, and you're adding something that will void the warranty. Have you thought about swapping for CP3?

#6 ·
Between Fass and AirDog just based off of price and all of the reading Ive done on them both over the last year or so I would go with a Fass. Is one really "better" than the other? Probably not, as it's a pretty close market between them. Also, you might as well just spend the extra few bucks for the 150 instead of the 95. Its only 10-20 bucks more than the 95 and who knows, maybe you'll want to triple turbo your truck one day haha. Dont forget about Kennedy lift pumps either. Seems like everyone who has one has been more than happy with them. And Im sure you can get creative with mounting whichever system you go with so that it doesnt hang so far below the frame ;)

#8 ·
Where mine is mounted you can't see it from outside the truck and it's above the frame. AirDog directions tell you to mount it in front of the fuel tank where the fuel cooler would normally be, there's a bracket there that's not being used.

Sent from my iPhone

Reactions: Bigpuddie
#9 ·
I have the airdog system and run the stock filter set up with no problems and the truck will run when the airdog is down. My airdog can hardly be seen without bending down to look at it and I have no problem with it being in front of the fuel tank as installed per the instructions.

#10 ·
Regardless of what direction you go, upgrade the supply from the tank to the pump or it will sounds like its grinding rocks. The factory line is just not big enough to properly supply the pump. A drawstraw or sump are both great options and with the tank shield on the later LML trucks, its completely hidden, takes care of the supply restriction and allows you to use every ounce of fuel in the tank.

#12 ·
#13 · (Edited)
AirDog has a lifetime warranty on the pump, everything you'll need is in the kit.
There is no cutting of the factory fuel lines, AD uses factory type quick connect fittings.
AD also has a test port so you could add a fuel pressure gauge.
I have a low pressure warning offered by AD which is on the pump and a fuel pressure gauge which is on the supply fuel line to the engine.

If you follow the directions the filters will be above the bottom of the frame.
If the pump ever fails or looses power your truck will still run, I've already had a power failure due to improper fuse location.

I also suggest to still keep the factory fuel filter, it's just better filteration before the engine, kinda like having fuel filter insurance.

Attachments

#17 ·
Good to see the AirDog mounts above the frame rails AND inside the frame rails. It seems like every time I see a photo of one mounted it's on the outside of the truck. Also nice to know the stock filter remains in place. Seems like the AirDog will be the way I go when I get everything else checked off the list of "wants" for this truck.

#14 ·
They say that both the FASS and the Airdog will let the engine run if they quit. My FASS quit in the middle of Canada and the CP4 could not pull fuel through it, I had to bypass it to get the truck to run the rest of the way home. Don't forget to check out Fuelab too, they make diesel stuff now and if it's anywhere near as good as their gas race car stuff, it should be badass. I should have mine installed sometime tomorrow.

#16 ·
After seeing the prices for the AEROMOTIVE, AirDog, FASS or Kennedy would be the way better choices based on cost alone and proven products.
AEROMOTIVE is almost double the cost over all of the liftpumps.

#20 ·
Looks awesome thanks for the idea

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

#22 ·
If you add just the small lift pump, I would also consider adding a FWS filter base ($30) pre-pump, as water separation is most efficient when you're pulling fuel thru the filter. Which is what you have with the stock filtering under vacuum. Adding the LP, now you have positive pressure at the stock filter.

The added FWS pre-LP, now you have easier access to drain/check for water and your stock filter up front will last longer (with the FWS catching the big stuff) and you'll see more media area in the filter used under positive pressure vs gaps seen with vacuum use only.

#23 ·
Interesting, thanks for that. Now you've got me intrigued.

Can you link to the $30 base you're talking about as well as a good filter for water separation?

I have the non-steering wheel control dash, so no menu or features- but I'm wondering if the change fuel filter warning is simply a timed/miles thing or is the truck actually measuring something and advising to change the filter?

#24 ·
I'm guessing if you go to Kennedy's website you'll probably find what your looking for.

Reactions: Bigpuddie
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.