Dilemma on CNG and Warranty - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Propane/Nitrous/Meth Discuss all your propane/nitrous/meth stuff here.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2013, 09:12 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Dilemma on CNG and Warranty

I have a dilemma on whether I should have my truck converted to run as a dual fuel CNG/Diesel truck and take a huge risk loosing the warranty or leave it alone?
I paid extra for the 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty and I am only 18,000 miles into it.
The reason that I bought the truck in the first place was because it was a clean diesel and had the potential to get even better mileage with a few modifications. I have been exploring CNG for a while and it makes sense in many ways. The downside is that GM makes it clear that I take a risk of loosing my warranty if something goes wrong with the addition of another fuel type modification. The truck has only had one major issue and that is it goes into Regen way too often (that could be the steep hills that I tend to drive up here in Idaho).
1.What should I do?

2.Are there parts that are known to be a problem on the 2012 LML that I should be aware of that I may need warranty help with in the future?
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500 HD Crewcab, Duramax, Z-71 (4x4),Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, EGR fender flares, Century cap with interior carpet, BedRug, S & B cold air intake, stainless nerf bars, Banks DPF back Monster Exhaust, GM Under rear seat box, Edge Insight CTS Monitor with back camera hooked to boat trailer, no performance mods to come warranty still in place.
idamainer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2013, 09:14 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Duramax Forum Supporter
Supporting Member

if you paid extra for warrenty i kinda think you should atleast wait till its up then do whatever you want with the truck or else you can consider that money wasted lol
06 GMC 2500HD- Wehrli Custom Fab 475/stock, Suncoast GMAX 6-3 1056 converter, Dual fueler with WCFAB billet wheel and controller,EFI by DURAMAXTUNER , WCFAB traction bars, Tcase pump rub, MA tcase brace, PPE deep trans pan, PPE diff cover, Ported and shimmed rail, LML manifold, Mbrp exhaust, Fass 150 titanium, Ppe gauges, Amsoil fluid in trans and tcase, Cat fuel filter , DRP trans cooler lines, AFE ic tube, PCV reroute, rare parts tie rods, moog idler/pitman, all seasons steering brace, bilstein stabilizer, bilstein 5100s, cognito UCA's, BMF rehabs 20X9, 305/50-20 nitto 420s, 3" drop shackles with over loads removed and keys fully decranked, 7in pioneer double din with Bluetooth, backup camera, 2 JL audio w3 10s with hd 750, c3 front speakers c2 rear speaker JL tweeters, JL 400/4 door speaker amp, Remote start and full alarm
2006duramax5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2013, 09:14 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
I'm That Guy...

I would not.

CLICK TO READ: FORUM RULES OR DF STAFF!

Thank you Rob Coddens (Idaho Rob), Dustin @ ATP, Scott @ SDP, Kory Willis, and Mike L. for all of your help!

05 LLY CCSB 4wd - Mods coming (Truck Love from ATP Trucks and Copperhead Diesel expected soon)
SOLD: 05 LLY, 05 LLY, 09 LMM, 02 LB7

Build Threads : 2005 Chevy Silverado | 1978 Ford Bronco (Sister Site)
TDFDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2013, 09:20 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

that's kind of where I am right now....Some folks out here are claiming to get over 30mpg or more using CNG. @ 1.50 gallon that makes a huge difference. I am also torn on whether to take the risk. The system installed by a qualified technician is not cheap however they do a lot of GM work locally on the injectors. Still weighing my options...
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500 HD Crewcab, Duramax, Z-71 (4x4),Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, EGR fender flares, Century cap with interior carpet, BedRug, S & B cold air intake, stainless nerf bars, Banks DPF back Monster Exhaust, GM Under rear seat box, Edge Insight CTS Monitor with back camera hooked to boat trailer, no performance mods to come warranty still in place.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:28 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
rms
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

It matters not if it's a natural gas conversion, twins or removing the dpf/def.
You will lose both the coverage and the money spent on the extended warranty.
And, the math (100k-18k) says it'll be for about 4 more years.
Tough call.
Or, you could buy an LBZ.

2007 LBZ 4x4 regular cab
S & B Intake - Diablo Predator
285/75/16 Cooper ATP's - 8' Bedslide
Amp Steps - Bilsteins - Fumoto

The Arizona Diesel Club
rms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2013, 02:01 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006duramax5 View Post
if you paid extra for warrenty i kinda think you should atleast wait till its up then do whatever you want with the truck or else you can consider that money wasted lol
x2.

2009 GMC 2500HD SLE CC/SB 4x4 LMM
EFI Live, Edge Insight CTS, EGR disabled, Flo~Pro 4" exhaust w/ muffler & stock trumpet tip, Pacer LED NBS cab lights, Putco yellow bulb fog lights, GM under tailgate dually light bar, Footwell lights, Cobra 29 WXNWST CB radio, Kenwood speakers, Tinted windows, GM chrome oval running boards, WIF sensor delete plug, Fumoto oil drain valve, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Michelin M/S2, PY0 wheels, Rubber mud flaps, Curt class IV hitch, Wilson 2000 CB antenna

2000 Silverado 1500 LS RC/LB 4x2 4.8L (Whoopty/Work Truck)
HD Dmax Machine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2013, 02:42 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

I'd hold off if I were in your boots.
My First Truck: 1990 Chevy 1500 sport reg cab 4x2 5.SP Man with 4.3v6. A High Perf. 350 is in the works someday
BlackBetty06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2013, 03:55 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
Vanned this place

Some guys claim 30 mpg on diesel and a lift doing 95+mph.

Cant you cancel the extended warranty and get a refundof unused portion? Still would void your factory warranty
TheStepChild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2013, 10:22 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

I am going to look into canceling the extended warranty if I do go forward with a CNG Dual Fuel Conversion.

Here is what I know about CNG
  1. It allows the combustion to be more complete hence less soot in the DPF
  2. It is a dual fuel system whereby CNG is injected directly into the air intake system and the diesel fuel is still the primary source of fuel
  3. Unlike gasoline engines which are all or nothing meaning that one has to select a single source of fuel, the diesel allows one to add CNG while underway.
  4. While my diesel consumption may decrease, I am still burning energy...just a much cheaper form of it ($1.50 a gallon for CNG vs. $4.07 for diesel).
  5. When installing or having a system installed I accept the financial liability if something goes wrong and GM has the ability under the law to use such to void all financial liability on their part.
This is a lot to consider, with some serious implications both good and bad financially. It would however be awesome if I could do the conversion without the risk.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:03 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

After a few contacts in the last few days, I was able to get an answer from some authorities on a CNG conversion.

The government requires that the manufacturer warranty any alternative fuel vehicle such as CNG if the following is true or occurs:
  • The system is EPA Certified for that Vehicle
  • The Conversion was done by an authorized installer Certified by the EPA
I was given a list of several in the Western States, everyone I spoke with stated that the government has not certified a CNG conversion kit for the LML Duramax yet. There are kits out there, but they have not received the blessing of the EPA yet. Long story short is they all encouraged installing a dual fuel system but they all stated that I would be on my own if something happened while it is still under warranty. That is kind of a deal breaker....as much I want to add CNG, it is just too much risk right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.