Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Pics of pulling propane tanker

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  mharroll 
#1 ·
After plowing out parking lot for a propane facility i am contracted with a tanker pulled in and began unloading. It was the guys 1st time being there so left him to continue plowing but said i would be back if he had problems getting out as the yard is small and i knew he already pulled in wrong. I went back 30 minutes later and one of the propane delivery guys was already there describing to the guy the best way to get out. I waited and it wasnt long before he was stuck on the ice. The truck was a 2012 Kenworth with only 58k miles and the guy was contracted to haul propane for the winter months. I sanded both his drive axles and he managed to back out across the lot, when he pulled back to get his trailer over more forward he swung too wide and stuffed the tip of one of the stacks under the roof of the pump station between the trusses. The driver was furious not that i blame him, to top it off he was stuck again. I sanded his axles again and he managed to back out from under the roof but no further. I sanded both his axles again with no luck. So, after some quick looking around i offered to tow on him. He nor the delivery driver though i could pull him back but the driver hooked the chain to his trailer axle but said i had to attach to my own truck. I hooked up and said i would pull him slowly and if i could pull him back i would try to slide his trailer sideways so he could have a better line to drive out. Both of them just laughed and said good luck. I snugged the chain and began pulling, the truck pulled easily backwards but when i cranked the wheels and walked the D-Max sideways i knew i had some weight behind me. I stayed on the throttle and i snaked his trailer about 20' sideways before i stopped. The propane delivery guy just stood there in awe and the truck driver jumped out all smiles. He ran over shaking my hand happy as a clam. He put away the chain and drove right out with no further issues. I had no weight in the back of my truck, in fact the tailgate was off and i took the salter off the back so i could put the hitch in to hook the chain to. I did have the plow on the front though. One pics is the spin marks from the D-Max and the other pic is the trailer. The trailer pic sucks as it was from my cell phone and i did not keep the phone steady. I put an arrow where you can faintly see the skid marks from sliding the trailer. Wish i had a video, would have been cool to see.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Sounds like fun!:gearjamin

#4 ·
A couple of years ago I had to pull a fuel oil delivery truck out of my driveway when he slid off the side of it.Sand and common sense goes along way pulling stuff out. Glad you were able to help a driver out.

#5 ·
I see your profile says lower Adirondacks. Where abouts?I am just north of Herkimer.

#7 ·
North Creek/Chestertown area, about 30 minutes North of Lake George by Gore MT Ski area.

Herkimer huh, havent been out that way in 15 yrs or better

#8 ·
That's always fun to use the D-max to pull a semi...

I am working in Middeville just north of Herkimer this week.

#9 ·
I go thru Middleville everyday. What do you do? Where are you working in Middleville?

#11 ·
I am siding a house up the road across from the old school.

#10 ·
Sounds like that plow job needs to be a salting job too. Nice pull, I bet that guy told a couple people.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.