Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Video of the best tie rod fails

21K views 75 replies 30 participants last post by  Hondarider552 
#1 ·

#2 ·
theres nothing more embarrassing or nothing that pisses me off more than that, mines done that too me 3 times, went with all cognito and ive got my centerlink tweaked now and i've never even sled pulled.

#3 ·
i run a straight centerlink and tie rod sleeves with my torsion bars all the way down and have never had any front end carnage or had any toe in problems,going for our 4th season sled pulling..

BTW,Pat or Dale(which ever one you are)why did you have to go and post this???:D..guess there are guys that will never learn unless they learn the hard way!

#5 ·
is thier any point in a straight centerlink with a fully leveled frontend?mines bent but didn't want to pay 300+ bucks for something ill bend when i can get another stocker at the auto yard.

#4 ·
My heart just broke along with all those tie rods

#6 ·
Why do people continue to post video's and threads like this about IFS failing...when nothing in this video has to do with failures on the IFS..... All I see breaking is tie rods, and one rear driveshaft.

Now if it was called Crappy Chevy/GMC tie rods fail then it would make sense.

#7 ·
#10 ·

#28 ·
#13 ·
These are very educational videos to say the least.

Bottom line in my opinion is that there's not a truck from the big 3 that is absolutely made to go straight from the lot to the sled pulls and run balls out over and over. And certainly none that run like that and win over and over, straight from the lot. Excluding the 6.7PSD simply because it is far too new to judge anything at this point, you'll have straight from the lot to the pulls:

Dodge-failed injection pumps
Ford-cracked EGR cooler
GM-failed tie rods

They all have shortcomings. If you pull sleds you'll mod several things to make it.

#26 ·
Dodge-failed injection pumps
Ford-cracked EGR cooler
GM-failed tie rods
exactly, everyone bitches about how well i bought a chevy cuz of the allison transmision, it wont hold the power and the front end sucks. stop bitching about it and buy a dodge. enjoy the death wobble, shitty transmision that belongs in a minivan. oh wait, now he wants a ford cuz their better, lets replace his headgaskets on his 6.0 because he has a superchip, then lets replace the HPOP, and egr cooler because they leak into the motor, then we gotta do a egr delete because he dodnt learn the first time.

people bitch too much

#14 ·
All this shows is the lack of knowledge about the front end. I think these wouldve been fine with HD Tie Rods or Sleeves, Pitman and Idler Arms, and a Centerlink. It is painful to watch. I at least have Sleeves just in case, I dont pull or race mine, but the stock Tie Rods are so small that I feel like at least sleeves are a must.

Here's a video of a CV Axle breaking Crazyeye

#20 ·
All this shows is the lack of knowledge about the front end. I think these wouldve been fine with HD Tie Rods or Sleeves, Pitman and Idler Arms, and a Centerlink. It is painful to watch. I at least have Sleeves just in case, I dont pull or race mine, but the stock Tie Rods are so small that I feel like at least sleeves are a must.

Here's a video of a CV Axle breaking Crazyeye

YouTube - Duramax White Plains Truck Pull
i was holding my breath lol

#21 ·
i run the PPE setup but it wouldnt have to be that! i still have the stock idler,pitman and tie rods with the sleeves.i have run 3 different trucks in the last 4yrs and yet to break anything,now i have had to let out of it and take last place but to me thats better then bouncing into the middle of the class and go home broke!

WVRigRat05:pM me with the symptons your having with your truck! i would be more then happy to try and help you diagnose the problem!

#23 ·
Dale are all those trucks local? cause i know ive seen a few of those in person... the black lmm at the end is my buddies

but also i have hd rods and straight centerlink and im still getting a little toe action when i launch it? :confused:

#24 ·
Some of those videos were local but some were far away too. Our truck has sleeves, cognito braces and that's it. Stock centerlink. The front end has never acted funny.

Pat

#25 ·
I seriously laughed my ass off in every video. Seiously.

Not one of those trucks pullling in the 1st video dropped their bars, except for the LMM at the end, which brove a CV, not a tie rod.

Stupid people cant ever listen. I have a stock centerlink, and launched super hard, spun all 4 tires for 100' and have NEVER broken anything.

#34 ·
you probably won't be seeing a lot of 2011 LML's doing that... at least not anywhere near as often... they've totally reworked the front end.. much more robust.

#35 ·
the all new GMT900HD is stronger but i still wouldnt trust it to hold up with the power level that EFILive can take the Duramax to..

#43 ·
Heres proof that the tie rods dont always break. A video from one of my early days of pulling. Had the truck for two months at this point. 3rd hook on it.

Heres one from my second year of pulling, had a straight centerlink and sleeves, but didnt let the Tbars down because I was lazy. Ended up snapping a halfshaft. 15minute $100 fix. But still.

And heres one of my grenading the front end in my 3rd season. Not quite sure how I did this, but after some educated guessing came to the conclusion that as I was trying to spool up the turbo the truck started to push through the brakes so I simultaneously pressed the brake pedal harder and mashed the throttle and the turbo lit and bang. The first time I broke a halfshaft i didnt have a locker, in this video I did, so it doesnt stop at just breaking the halfshaft, then it sends all of the power through it and breaks output shafts and intermediate shafts and bends shift forks. It doesnt look like much but it costs quite a bit to fix as you buy the parts from GM. Unlike other axles where there are tons of aftermarket options.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.