Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

LB7 EBCM Replacement How To

31K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  lb7dirtymax01 
#1 ·
So my ABS and Park light kept coming on my dash every now and again. So I asked my friend who owns a local shop to scan the code with his scanner that has ABS software. Turns out a relay inside my Electronic Brake Control Module was bad, and needed replaced. I called my local chevy parts distributor (Wier Chevrolet in Red Bud IL) and gave them my vin, and they shipped out a new one for a little over $200. AC Delco and GM Part #19121924

Text Font Material property

Light Headlamp Automotive lighting Auto part

Automotive lighting Auto part Automotive fog light Headlamp Automotive window part

See less See more
#2 ·
Before you start, make sure the vehicle is in Park for automatic transmissions, or in gear with the parking break off for the ZF6 trucks. The vehicle must be turned off and it is recommended to disconnect both negative battery terminals using an 8mm wrench.

Next, you will find your Electro-Hydraulic Control Unit on the drivers side frame rail, my truck is 4 wheel drive, so right next to the transfer case.

Auto part Fuel line Automotive fuel system Engine Automotive engine part

I only replaced the EBCM, which is the computer on top of the EHCU. Make sure there is no loose dirt that could fall inside once the EBCM is removed. The two small connectors come loose simply by lifting the tab and pulling them out. The big connector has a red locking slide that must be moved down the connector before it will come loose.

Auto part

Once the connectors are removed, undo the 4 T-20 torx head screws that hold the EBCM to the Brake Pressure Modulator Valve. Be prepared to drop your torx socket into the frame rail a few times, as the two rear screws are a little hard to get the socket into.

Next, Remove the EBCM from the BPMV, DO NOT use any tools to pry them apart, as you could damage the very expensive BPMV. Mine came apart by hand no problem, but you may have to use a little force.

Here is a comparison between the old part and the new

When installing your new EBCM, GM recommends using 4 new screws, however I reused the old ones. Your new EBCM comes with a new seal, DO NOT use any RTV Silicone or gasket sealant on this. The screws should be torqued to 39 in lbs, but I just guessed, then re install your connectors. No bleeding is required since I only replaced the EBCM, and GM also recommends calibrating your tire size with a tech 2, which I did not do and havn't seen any problems.

Please don't yell if I did something wrong, this is my first writeup on the forum and I hope you enjoy it!

#3 ·
Great write up man...I will be calling Wier Chevrolet to get a cost for my truck. thanks man

#4 ·
Weir is just a local place that i think only sells parts to dealers but see what they can do for you. We order parts from them and their trucks come out to us. But you can see what kinda price they'll give you and if they will ship to you. Good luck!

#5 ·
No, i got that, the dealer by me wanted like $300 last time I called on it...I will try Weir to see how much from them:gearjamin

#6 ·
Looks like the one for my truck is $300...how's your truck been? Still no issues with the ABS lights coming back on?

#7 ·
It's been good and no more lights. I just need to figure out what's up with my glow plugs/IAH to shut the check engine light off. Just make sure to get your trucks ABS codes read while your truck is running and the ABS light on.

#8 ·
The dealer checked it and said it needed a new EBCM because it has no communication with the computer.

#9 ·
Yeah then that is your problem. I read that if the ABS and the !P light are both on, it indicates either a bad EBCM or low brake or power steering fluid. Since I put the new computer on, I've had 0 problems. But that old one has probably been on there for 240,000 miles. Good luck on changing yours, PM me if you want my phone number for any further questions.

#10 ·
Thanks bro...I'm ordering the EBCM on EBay tomorrow

#11 ·
Ok, before installing this, how many miles do you have on yours since swapping it out?

#12 ·
Im not having any issues or symptoms but while i was plowwing allnighters the past few nights with the storm up here in CT my ABS light went on and off allnight. It is off now but was that just the cold and freezing rain on the sensor? Also my temp guage on my rearview was acting up flashing and blinking, but now everything is fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.