Rancho RS9000XL v.s Bilstein 5100 - Page 6 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Suspension&Steering Discuss what Mods for the suspension & steering are right for you.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 08:21 PM   eBay Motors  #51 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

I had an in depth discussion with a guy at Rancho about this Friday. The stock-replacement shocks are NOT designed for a torsion key lifted front end. They are only 1/8" longer than stock. But 4" lift shocks are too long. Rancho makes a 7000 and 5000 series shock that is meant for torsion key lifted front ends.

That being said, I'm running the OEM replacements with no problems and might is turned up a little bit.

06 CCSB LBZ 4x4 LT3; torsion key lift (leveled); 265/75-16 Pro Comp A/T on OEM wheels (winter), BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain 275/70-18 on XD Diesel 18x9 (summer); MBRP 4" turbo back with Corsa muffler; EGR blocked; Edge Insight CTS gauges; EFI Live DSP2 by Idaho Rob - 80HP DD and 40HP tow with turbo brake (love it!); Rancho 9000XL shocks; updated rear cab mounts; Transgo Jr.; Merchant Automotive tie rod sleeves; everything synthetic; Access Tonneau hiding Line-X; tinted windows 5% all around; Tekonsha P3 brake controller; HIR bulbs, more to come soon......
knaffie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2012, 08:22 PM   eBay Motors  #52 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by knaffie View Post
You can take them to any authorized dealer if you ever have any problems. The exception to any dealer is the box stores like O'Reilly's, Autozone, etc. I found out yesterday my front two are blown out. I called Rancho and they said just take them to any authorized Rancho dealer with my receipt and they will warranty them. The local Napa store sells them, so hopefully its that easy.
And to update on this. My fronts were not "blown out." Per Rancho, the front shocks are NOT gas charged. They are a triple tube shock, not gas charged. But the rears ARE gas charged. So chances are, I sent in a set of perfectly good shocks for warranty replacement. OOPS!
06 CCSB LBZ 4x4 LT3; torsion key lift (leveled); 265/75-16 Pro Comp A/T on OEM wheels (winter), BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain 275/70-18 on XD Diesel 18x9 (summer); MBRP 4" turbo back with Corsa muffler; EGR blocked; Edge Insight CTS gauges; EFI Live DSP2 by Idaho Rob - 80HP DD and 40HP tow with turbo brake (love it!); Rancho 9000XL shocks; updated rear cab mounts; Transgo Jr.; Merchant Automotive tie rod sleeves; everything synthetic; Access Tonneau hiding Line-X; tinted windows 5% all around; Tekonsha P3 brake controller; HIR bulbs, more to come soon......
Old 05-07-2012, 11:01 AM   eBay Motors  #53 (permalink)

Wondering if I should risk the "stock" 9000XL replacements, I''ve been running stock shocks ever since I did the 2" leveling mod. But I don't want to pull new shocks apart!

Is the adjustability something worth having? I pull a 9000# fifth wheel maybe a dozen times a year, the odd gravel/lumber run, and pull a 20ft cargo trailer with my Harley once a year.
If its best to go with Rancho's 5000 due to them saying its for a 1-2.5" lift. then I do them instead.

Thanks in advance!
2005 - Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LT - EFi Live - tuned by GT Diesel - Edge CTS insight - 2" leveling - Rancho 9000XL - 18" Greg Weld Black rims w/275/65r18 Michelien LTX M/S2 rubber - Gutted stock intake box - LBZ turbo mouthpiece - gutted cat - Aero muffler - 4" exhaust tip - led taillights - line X bedliner - DPS fifth wheel hitch - 200L sliptank - Rotella T6 Synthetic / Transyn / Amsoil diffs - Peg Prego car seat ... 180,000km and counting...
DMAXSTORE.COM Your Duramax Diesel-Only Shopping Resource
meltdowndan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 11:05 AM   eBay Motors  #54 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

If you do have 2" of lift, but the $40 lower shock mounts that lift the mount point up 2" and you'll be fine! Its the guys like me that only have about 1" of lift that are in a tough spot - maybe too much lift and bottoming out the shock prematurely, but if I put the lift brackets on, then I risk bottoming the shock.

FYI you WILL NOT pull the shock apart. Per Rancho tech support last week, the OEM shocks are designed to limit the downtravel, so they are made to take the load. The downtravel stops on the frame are just to hold the whole suspension from falling down during maintenance when the shocks are off.

I love the adjustability. I think the Rancho 5000s are GARBAGE and would never run them. They are literally one of the cheapest shocks you can buy.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:12 PM   eBay Motors  #55 (permalink)

Quote:
If you do have 2" of lift, but the $40 lower shock mounts that lift the mount point up 2" and you'll be fine!
Great thanks Knaffie! I'm guessing you mean "buy"... Where can I buy this shock mount? Is it a Rancho product? Can't see it on their website.
Thanks!

Ps I'm being quoted CAD$180/per !! (Canadian Tire) Yikes any cheaper places that sell these in Calgary/Okotoks, Alberta
2005 - Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LT - EFi Live - tuned by GT Diesel - Edge CTS insight - 2" leveling - Rancho 9000XL - 18" Greg Weld Black rims w/275/65r18 Michelien LTX M/S2 rubber - Gutted stock intake box - LBZ turbo mouthpiece - gutted cat - Aero muffler - 4" exhaust tip - led taillights - line X bedliner - DPS fifth wheel hitch - 200L sliptank - Rotella T6 Synthetic / Transyn / Amsoil diffs - Peg Prego car seat ... 180,000km and counting...
Old 05-07-2012, 07:16 PM   eBay Motors  #56 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltdowndan View Post
Great thanks Knaffie! I'm guessing you mean "buy"... Where can I buy this shock mount? Is it a Rancho product? Can't see it on their website.
Thanks!

Ps I'm being quoted CAD$180/per !! (Canadian Tire) Yikes any cheaper places that sell these in Calgary/Okotoks, Alberta
They are called shock extenders. Usually $20-40 per set. I'm sure several places makes them. You might need to look around a bit to find them in Canada, eh?

Shock Extenders - Chevy 2500HD

00-10 Silverado 1500HD 2500HD 3500HD 8-lug Shock Extender Bracket | eBay
Old 05-08-2012, 08:19 PM   eBay Motors  #57 (permalink)

Quote:
They are called shock extenders. Usually $20-40 per set. I'm sure several places makes them. You might need to look around a bit to find them in Canada, eh?
Found 'em 2nd call, that's for the links once I knew what I was looking for it was easier to ask for them! First place (Diesel performance shop) didn't have any idea at first what I was asking for. Then they could bring in for $80 and didn't sell Ranchos... Called Modern Motors and he happened to have a set of brand new extenders left over from somebody that bought a leveling kit but needed longer shocks! Worked out for me. Very helpful guys there. 38 loonies and they were mine! They also had the Rancho 9000's in stock @ $146/per.
Way better than Crappy Tire $180 and their 2 days - 4 week lead time!

Should I change out the steering stabilizer too? Eh?

Awesome! Thanks everyone so much for the help!

Hope to install tomorrow night!
Old 05-09-2012, 06:54 AM   eBay Motors  #58 (permalink)

I just installed the Rancho 9000XLs Monday evening. I am thoroughly impressed with the improvement in ride. I have the initial settings at 6 front and 4 in the rear. I have never owner Bilsteins, but have always heard good things about them.

I got them from 4Wheel parts for $340 and am going to send in my $100 rebate from Rancho today. That makes a grand total of $240 for these shocks right now. Can't beat that.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:22 AM   eBay Motors  #59 (permalink)

Just looked up the shocks on 4 wheel parts and they are 399.00 total?
How did u find 340.00? Thanks
All on Mod, De-badged...almost,
Kool View Tows, Pro Comp keys, Stage 7 Leveling kit (NCT),Nictane Adater w Cat filter, All AMSOIL,Nice New Tint. 17" Chrome H2s W Toyo Open Country MTs 295/70/17"s
Ferdwerd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 10:39 AM   eBay Motors  #60 (permalink)
Suspension Consultant
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMaxxrus View Post
PM me your info on the trucks height. Ive had no joke 35 people pm me from this thread asking for the website. Guys there is a reason this site is cheap. Nobody knows about it and if they do nobody knows how to use it. If you signed up just to ask for the site...sorry but its not that easy. If i have seen you around before helping others out than i dont mind helping you save some $$$.

PLEASE if i sent you the link dont make it your job to tell all your buddies. I like good deals lol

If this is on Bilsteins why don't you send me the info, if it's not you making the sale then let me take a stab at matching such a great deal, I'm a supporting vendor that support you members and I can't always say there might not be something better out there but I will always be happy to match or beat it if I need to beat up my distributors or manufactures I buy from..... What happens when someone needs help, that online retailer going to be there for a forum member like we would?
Nor-Cal Nick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.