leaf removal/axle wrap? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Suspension&Steering Discuss what Mods for the suspension & steering are right for you.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 02:04 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

leaf removal/axle wrap?

Has anyone removed more than just the overload leaf, and if so is axle wrap a problem? Both during acceleration and brake application. I do haul heavy loads and tow.
I have an '08 and plan on installing air bags so I will remove the overload, but would also like to remove an additional leaf to lower the rear even more and improve ride. My concern is that there are only 4 leafs, not including the overload. Having not tried it I'm wondering if 3 leafs will be enough resistance to minimize axle wrap. The 4 leaf pack is strapped and removing the bottom leaf looks as though it requires cutting the strap so it cannot be reversed.
I've seen the thread with the custom 4 link build and if I had the time that is what I would do, but for now this would be an easy alternative.
thanks,
-V
trackboss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 10:20 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

traction bars will be a must.
lsone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 07:58 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Yes you will DEFINITELY need some traction bars.

Ask me how I know... LOL

2004.5 LLY Ext Cab 8' ~EFI, Fabtech 6" and much, much more.. SOLD
nvrplzd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 03:45 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackboss View Post
Has anyone removed more than just the overload leaf, and if so is axle wrap a problem? Both during acceleration and brake application. I do haul heavy loads and tow.
I have an '08 and plan on installing air bags so I will remove the overload, but would also like to remove an additional leaf to lower the rear even more and improve ride. My concern is that there are only 4 leafs, not including the overload. Having not tried it I'm wondering if 3 leafs will be enough resistance to minimize axle wrap. The 4 leaf pack is strapped and removing the bottom leaf looks as though it requires cutting the strap so it cannot be reversed.
I've seen the thread with the custom 4 link build and if I had the time that is what I would do, but for now this would be an easy alternative.
thanks,
-V

Did you do it?
Old 12-21-2012, 09:55 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackboss View Post
thanks,
-V
Any links to the custom 4link build thread. I'm looking for something like this at the moment.

The Car/DD: 08 Lancer
Tech Package, Rockford Fosgate System

Farm Truck: 01 Chevy 2500 Reg Cab
EFI live by Duramaxtuner

Performance Truck Parts
paintballrepins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 01:29 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

I don't visit oftens so I missed these. I have not done any spring removal yet. However, looking at the posts above I think once I get to that point I will only remove the overload.
There is a well done custom 4 link airbag setup that someone did, but I cannot find it. Sometime last year I looked it over, but not sure where it was located.
trackboss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 08:56 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

If you ever come across it again shoot me a link via pm. I looked up and down this site, unless you saw it somewhere else.

Thanks

The Car/DD: 08 Lancer
Tech Package, Rockford Fosgate System

Farm Truck: 01 Chevy 2500 Reg Cab
EFI live by Duramaxtuner

Performance Truck Parts
paintballrepins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.