NorCal Nick...help - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Suspension&Steering Discuss what Mods for the suspension & steering are right for you.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 06:37 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

NorCal Nick...help

I would like some recommendations for setting up my suspension for sled pulling. I know about the tie rod sleeves and idler and pit-man braces, although I have wondered if HD tie rods are worth the money? I have read that 4wd boosted launches are bad for the cv's if the are not straight. I assume this is also true for sled pulling. Which leads me to believe a lift is a bad idea, but I like my 33"s. I saw a truck that appeared to be lowered at a pull a while back that did really well and wondered if that is the way to go. I have read about hard stops but I am not sure what they do. I assume it keeps your hitch height up, but I'm not sure of the advantage of this. I am in the process of installing some 2 link trac bars so I have that part figured out. Any knowledge on this subject would be appreciated. I would like to go compete in a couple of local pulls next year, and then gauge my interest in adding more mods to support better pulls. Thank you in advance for your help and any information.
EFI w/DSP5 by Mark@Danville / Bill's Intake w/Porercore Filter/ All Season High Flow Intkae / LML DS Manifold / Suncoast GMax 6pac w/1058 converter by Riley Gullet/ Allison Deep Pan / Merchant TCase and Tcase Brace / FASS Titanium 150 w/Sump / Edge Insight CTS / 4in MBRP DP Back w/ 5 Black Tip / 3" MBRP DP/ Smoked 3rd brake & Tails / 2" shackles/ 265/70 17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on Black H2s.
marshallb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 06:33 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

Bump
EFI w/DSP5 by Mark@Danville / Bill's Intake w/Porercore Filter/ All Season High Flow Intkae / LML DS Manifold / Suncoast GMax 6pac w/1058 converter by Riley Gullet/ Allison Deep Pan / Merchant TCase and Tcase Brace / FASS Titanium 150 w/Sump / Edge Insight CTS / 4in MBRP DP Back w/ 5 Black Tip / 3" MBRP DP/ Smoked 3rd brake & Tails / 2" shackles/ 265/70 17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on Black H2s.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:42 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

I'm running a very close to 33" tire and I'm lowered. Leveled or lowered and you can fit good sized tires with minimal trimming of the fender wells

Sent from my iPhone while cruising through wal-mart wearing my wolf shirt.
546hp & 1025 ft/lbs at Lone Star Dyno, Spring Branch Tx.
Best Run: 13.23 @101 with 1.90 60
'
daword2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 07:15 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Does this setup serve you well in your sled pulling endeavors?
Old 10-09-2012, 07:19 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

well i don't sled pull, i was just stating that you can still run your 33' tire if youre lowered
546hp & 1025 ft/lbs at Lone Star Dyno, Spring Branch Tx.
Best Run: 13.23 @101 with 1.90 60
'
daword2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 05:36 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Many of the sled pullers run trucks with lifts without any issues. As long as your CV angles are flat or slightly negative you will be fine.

Sold 02 2500HD EC/SB Duramax
-EFI Live/AIRraid intake/4" dual exhaust
-6" Fabtech lift w/cognito arms/braces/tie-rods
-20x12 Fuel Hostage Black w/ 35x12.50x20 Toyo MTs
buildingup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 10:17 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Cognito's lifts are designed to correct cv angles, are t they? So would this be better for pulling then a leveling kit if you still wanted to go up? I have a wide offset so I still get rub I.n reverse on my fenders. We've trimmed as much as we can, and my t bad are up more then half way ( I know not good, but I'll be ok for now). I want to do a set up capable of 4wd launches and sled pulling in workstock class, but also get rid of the rubbing and keep my tires ( 33x12.50R17) thoughts? I won't pull my truck untill I'm confident in my suspension and trans, so I'd like to get em knocked out this winter
-4" mbrp dual exhaust (turbo back) lml manifold, trans-go jr, efi live tuned by Idaho rob, hd hoss wheels, 17", dick cepek mud country 33's, all lights replaced by spyder projectors and led's, dsp5, k&n CAI, and some interior trim .. Oh and an airdog 165

93 Jeep Grand Cherokee
- 6" lift, dc mud country 35's, s4.1 stroked with wild cam, built rubicon axles w/ front and rear lockers
Ferramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 05:35 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Yes a lift would be better then a leveling kit. All a leveling kit does is turning up the torsion bars resulting in increase CV angles. Putting a true lift kit on drops the front diff X amount and lifts the front X amount. Just have to watch out though as some lifts drop the diff X amount and lift Y amount.

Sold 02 2500HD EC/SB Duramax
-EFI Live/AIRraid intake/4" dual exhaust
-6" Fabtech lift w/cognito arms/braces/tie-rods
-20x12 Fuel Hostage Black w/ 35x12.50x20 Toyo MTs
buildingup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 08:30 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Like said before the lift will keep your cvs flat at the right setting. I would just do a 4" lift and keep it so the cv shafts are level. Do you use this truck for anything other than playing with? I ask this because i got a cousin that has a modified gas pulling truck and after a few years his frame is bending from the stresses of pulling.

Old truck 03 1500hd w4me tune, aem cai, 951 moto metal, 285/16 duratracs, bw and companion
zr600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 08:39 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

I have t even pulled it yet. I want to do one maybe two pulls a year, just to show that the truck isn't all show. Otherwise, the truck is all show. Lol. Used to truck show and pull my jeep every now and then. Soon it won't even be my daily driver. More like my Harley. But I want everything done right. I have the money to do it, instead if living with it or finding quick fix. I will never get rid if this truck if I can help it.
-4" mbrp dual exhaust (turbo back) lml manifold, trans-go jr, efi live tuned by Idaho rob, hd hoss wheels, 17", dick cepek mud country 33's, all lights replaced by spyder projectors and led's, dsp5, k&n CAI, and some interior trim .. Oh and an airdog 165

93 Jeep Grand Cherokee
- 6" lift, dc mud country 35's, s4.1 stroked with wild cam, built rubicon axles w/ front and rear lockers
Ferramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.