Power steering sometimes feel like it's not working - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Suspension&Steering Discuss what Mods for the suspension & steering are right for you.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 03:54 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Power steering sometimes feel like it's not working

occasionally, it will feel like someone took the belt off the pump. does this mean the pump is going bad?
07 LBZ 4x4 1LT Banks Speedbrake, EFI Live, 20" American Eagle 507s, 33x12.50 Federal Couragia's, Alligator ffa with CAT filter, PCV dumped to atmosphere as god intended, 5" turboback, HIDs, LED's, downpipe, ATS rear diff cover, Bilstein 5100s, Pioneer AVIC Z2, Planet Audio 12" subs, Cerwin Vega amp. Rockford fosgate amp,Transgo JR, EGR blockoff, PPE race valve.Dyno'd 3/24/12 402hp, 734tq
19psi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 03:56 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

Power Steering

Check your fluid level? If still good the belt may be seizing up (the idler pulley bearings).
2004 Harley Ultra Classic FLHTCUI
2008 Titanium 36E41MPRV - Toyhauler
Dan5cents is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 05:26 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

fluid level is good, first thing I checked. no odd noises which i figure would go along with idler pulley bearings but that's a good thought, i maybe inspect the pulleys further.
07 LBZ 4x4 1LT Banks Speedbrake, EFI Live, 20" American Eagle 507s, 33x12.50 Federal Couragia's, Alligator ffa with CAT filter, PCV dumped to atmosphere as god intended, 5" turboback, HIDs, LED's, downpipe, ATS rear diff cover, Bilstein 5100s, Pioneer AVIC Z2, Planet Audio 12" subs, Cerwin Vega amp. Rockford fosgate amp,Transgo JR, EGR blockoff, PPE race valve.Dyno'd 3/24/12 402hp, 734tq
Old 10-15-2012, 05:38 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Is the fluid clean or dirty? If dirty flush jt out and replace. Also do you have a heavy bumper or big tires that add pressure to the pump? Sorry an on my phone and can't see your signature. They make a replacement fitting for your power steering pump that will make your wheel spin easier with bigger tires or a bumper. Not sure of the GM part number at the moment but it can be replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

2008 GMC 2500HD LMM SLT CC SB 4x4 Z71
Buckstop front bumper, WARN M12000 winch, PIAA 520 ATP driving / PIAA 510 fog, Westin Platinum Series nerf bars, Pace Edwards Bedlocker tonneau cover, Cognito UCA leveling kit and HD Idler Pivot Assembly, Cognito Pitman and Idler steering braces, Bilstein 5100's, LT285/70R17 BFG AT KO tires, 17 x 9 XD Series Crank Wheels, 15% Tint Driver/Passenger windows, GM Tow Mirrors, DDM Tuning HID lights 6000K 35W
Georgia Duramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 05:44 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19psi View Post
fluid level is good, first thing I checked. no odd noises which i figure would go along with idler pulley bearings but that's a good thought, i maybe inspect the pulleys further.
I'd suspect your issue is the big tires like most of us on the DF. Does the power steering mostly "quit" at low speeds or when maneuvering in a parking lot?

Sent from my iPhone using my iPhone
Old 10-15-2012, 05:47 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Duramax View Post
Is the fluid clean or dirty? If dirty flush jt out and replace. Also do you have a heavy bumper or big tires that add pressure to the pump? Sorry an on my phone and can't see your signature. They make a replacement fitting for your power steering pump that will make your wheel spin easier with bigger tires or a bumper. Not sure of the GM part number at the moment but it can be replaced.

The fitting is a GM part designed to fix the power steering issues on these truck? Where does the fitting go? On the pressure line off the pump?

Old 10-15-2012, 05:48 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Duramax View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsivspeed454 View Post
I'd suspect your issue is the big tires like most of us on the DF. Does the power steering mostly "quit" at low speeds or when maneuvering in a parking lot?

haha yeah i have a big bumper, winch and 325s. prety much always when trying to park.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:49 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Yup... Normal problem, but apparently GM has a fitting to help this issue I was not aware of until about 2 minutes ago.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:50 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

I'm calling about it tomorrow before you take mine!

Old 10-15-2012, 06:18 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

yeah i'm going to check out this fitting. if that's all it needs, that would be fantastic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.