Lets talk low..... - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Suspension&Steering Discuss what Mods for the suspension & steering are right for you.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 12:17 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
Stock again...
Lifetime Supporting Member

Lets talk low.....

Ok.. Time to crash course educate myself on dropping these bitches. Not going to drop mine just yet.. Learning time.

I know how to level a truck, make it ride like a damn caddy, and drive as tight as a vette.. lol.

So whats the best route here? Drop the stock keys the whole way and buy Bell Tech 3/5 shackles? They are adjustable correct? Or are cheapy 2" or 3" shackles ok? Then how about shocks? Yall just running stock shocks on your dropped trucks? I have 5100's that are +2 all around (at least I think they are...) But since shocks dont increase the height of your truck, you could run +2 shocks with the keys the whole way down and 3/5 shackles in the back and still be just as low?? It would just be a stiffer ride if my thinking is correct.

This is what I want.. I love the stiff ride of my truck actually. The way its setup now its very forgiving but corners like its on rails. I had the keys the whole way down in the front racing the other weekend and drove it like that for a few days and it was a little soft but not bad. I feel like with stock height shocks it would be pretty bouncy in the front end.

I am just trying to get an idea of the most popular way of lowering these trucks and the best way to do it!

08 gmc ccsb lmm
White
All show no go

Thanks to:
Caleb @ Blackout Performance
HDdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 12:24 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

Sub'd
04 Sierra
5.3/lifted/bullydog/blacked out/4:11s/ FOR SALE

Lookin for another dmax.
backwoodsdmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 12:26 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
Vanned this place

I'm in for a good how-to list
TheStepChild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 12:30 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

I've been into dropping cars for years now. At least in that aspect you want a shortened shock body yields the best performance & ride. Basically, the shock is fully extended at normal ride height and compresses from there, giving the most travel when needed. If your normal height is compressing the shock it's only going to get worse from there. At least that's how it works in the MacPherson style strut front ends. I'd imagine as far as shocks go that's the best thing to do as well.
*EFI DSP5 By: PPEI *DE Downpipe & 5" Dump *ARP Studded *Pro-Fab Deleted *Custom Re-Routed *Alligator FPRV Plugged *DHD Braced & MA Sleeved *20x12 -44's *305/55/20 Terra Graps *LBZ MP, Intake & FPR *Kleinn Horns & On-Board Air *Paramount Restyling Grill *MA Pump Rub & M1 5w-30 *All-On Mod *Maintained

Willie @ Synthetic Motorsports
Kory @ PPEI
Eric @ Merchant Automotive
Jason @ Alligator Performance
e46_330i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 12:31 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Well, I've had mine dropped 2 different ways!!

First I had 3" shackles and overload removed and 2" spindles

Then Lifted the truck 6" (rode the best of every configuration I've had)

Now it's 3" shackles, no overload, and keys decranked and I also have a 4* pinions shim to help rearend vibe

I have to say of lowered status, It definitley rode better when I had the front dropped w/ the spindles! I have stock length shocks front and rear. This is why I believe it rode better w/ the spindles!!

The reason is b/c the spindles don't change the supension travel/compression. Whereas decranking actually puts more compression and the shock has less travel.

I have 3" shackles from ebay. No need to spend $100 or more on the BT name brand. Or if your gonna go with a 2" shackle, you can use the ones from autozone. THey're just as good and only cost $40

Hope this helps

2013 Silverado, Tuned (EFI by PPEI) deleted, 5" straight pipe, FASS Titanium 150, color matched front end, retro'd headlights

My LML Build Thread

Instagram: brolandry

One Big Ass Mistake America
U Can't Cure Stupid

www.performancetruckproducts.com

Shop @ the DMAXstore.com
crazycrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 12:53 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Stock again...

Man I think a 3"-5" shackle would be perfect.. I am only seeing 1/2's on ebay though. Keys cranked out the whole way your definitely gonna need more than 2" in the back I would think..

08 gmc ccsb lmm
White
All show no go

Thanks to:
Old 10-30-2012, 12:56 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycrew View Post
Well, I've had mine dropped 2 different ways!!

First I had 3" shackles and overload removed and 2" spindles

Then Lifted the truck 6" (rode the best of every configuration I've had)

Now it's 3" shackles, no overload, and keys decranked and I also have a 4* pinions shim to help rearend vibe

I have to say of lowered status, It definitley rode better when I had the front dropped w/ the spindles! I have stock length shocks front and rear. This is why I believe it rode better w/ the spindles!!

The reason is b/c the spindles don't change the supension travel/compression. Whereas decranking actually puts more compression and the shock has less travel.

I have 3" shackles from ebay. No need to spend $100 or more on the BT name brand. Or if your gonna go with a 2" shackle, you can use the ones from autozone. THey're just as good and only cost $40

Hope this helps
X2 on the vato zone drop shackles. I have the 2" drop shackles from there and they work perfect. I've towed about 8k lbs with them as well without them cracking or anything.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:10 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
I know nothing

Get the DJM 3/5 kit so you can keep the stock geometry. I've had my key bolts out and shackles for years. It rides OK, but you can feel the shocks bottom out over big dips, sometimes its a little floaty and it doesnt wear the tires very evenly. I'm considering getting the DJM kit this winter.

Spindles are great as well, as long as you never plan on running less than a 17" wheel.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:23 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
Stock again...

Chris I am gonna have to look into that kit it sounds more like my style!

08 gmc ccsb lmm
White
All show no go

Thanks to:
Old 10-30-2012, 01:24 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
Banned

Where's that Hondarider douche and his lowered trucks??????
Hondarider552 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.