How to handle an extra 1k# up front? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Suspension&Steering Discuss what Mods for the suspension & steering are right for you.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 02:24 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

How to handle an extra 1k# up front?

I recently added a Hammerhead Armor front bumper/brush guard with a 18,000# capacity Super Winch to my 2007 K3500 Classic CC. This set up comes close to 1000 pounds. As you can imagine this has resulted in the front suspension being over-taxed compared to a stock set up. Other than a leveling kit and some 17" Rockstars the front is stock. Any suggestions on how best to resolve this? Guys at Fabtech say go with an OE heavy load torsion bar to make up for the added weight which should be close to what those are designed to deal with if one was mounting a snow plow etc. Any ideas would be appreciated and thoroughly evaluated by our friends here I am sure!
03 4.3 GMC CC Sonoma 4X4 ZR5
05 5.3 Chevy Police Pursuit Tahoe
SKIBO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 04:15 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

i run a warn heavy duty winch bumper with an m12000 with a fabtech 8 inch lift that is set at 6 inches and 35's. I have all the goodies for the front end including dual shocks and the factory shock also. The truck rides great, only problem I have had is that it is really really hard on jounce bumpers. I swithced to the z71 poly ones to see if that helps. Other then that no problems yet.
afe intake
4 inch Diamond Eye straight pipe, mbrp down pipe
Fabtech 8 inch lift with dual shock setup
Fabtech tierods, cognito brace kit, idler arm support bracket,kryptonite gusset
37's mickey thompson atz
warn bumper with m12000
Built tranny by Alligator performance(Holton)
03 zr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 04:32 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Ya I have ran ranch hand style bumpers with winches on all my trucks just crank your t bars some and it will level out
New: 09 2500HD CC/LB diamond eye duals muffler delete with black 6" tips, front and rear replacement bumpers, 6000k HIDs in lows and fogs B&W turnover ball both gooseneck and bumper hitch, BDS 7" set at 7" and 5" block on the rear, 20x10 AE series 16 with -21 offset

Traded In : 04.5 D/A MBRP 4" cool duals with muffler delete, volant air intake, EFI Live,raptor 100gph, suncoast level IV, ATS copilot, nicktane fuel filter, 6" RCD, 37" Super Swamper M16s , 4.56 gears, bushwacker cutout fender flares, wet okolie set covers, MTX subs with a sony amp, full replacement front with 9.5K warn winch built in and rear replacement bumpers, B&W turnover ball both gooseneck and bumper hitch
jdugie123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 05:22 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Crazy thing is it rides and sits level. The issue is when rolling and hitting any rough spots or like a bridge end I get an extreme amount of wheel hop. Its noticably worse when pulling regardless if is bumper of goose neck hitched. Its to the point that it feels like I am loosing traction because the tires are lifting. Gonna start with a heavy replacment shock and see if the torsion bars can be cranked any more. If not, gonna try to go with the heavier bars and see if that helps.
03 4.3 GMC CC Sonoma 4X4 ZR5
05 5.3 Chevy Police Pursuit Tahoe
SKIBO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 08:32 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Maybe some timbren would help
New: 09 2500HD CC/LB diamond eye duals muffler delete with black 6" tips, front and rear replacement bumpers, 6000k HIDs in lows and fogs B&W turnover ball both gooseneck and bumper hitch, BDS 7" set at 7" and 5" block on the rear, 20x10 AE series 16 with -21 offset

Traded In : 04.5 D/A MBRP 4" cool duals with muffler delete, volant air intake, EFI Live,raptor 100gph, suncoast level IV, ATS copilot, nicktane fuel filter, 6" RCD, 37" Super Swamper M16s , 4.56 gears, bushwacker cutout fender flares, wet okolie set covers, MTX subs with a sony amp, full replacement front with 9.5K warn winch built in and rear replacement bumpers, B&W turnover ball both gooseneck and bumper hitch
jdugie123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 09:39 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

If it rides level your torsion bars are fine,
If it's bouncing = shock issue
PPE Hot Race tuner / TransGo Jr. / Pillar gauges
JVC - DVD/Nav system & Back up camera/2500w inverter/ 55w reverse lamps/Amber strobe lights X4 corners
front hidden hitch/rear hitch/turn over ball 5th wheel hitch/custom grille
DRW # 101
bubblebutt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 09:43 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
dat lly doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIBO View Post
Crazy thing is it rides and sits level. The issue is when rolling and hitting any rough spots or like a bridge end I get an extreme amount of wheel hop. Its noticably worse when pulling regardless if is bumper of goose neck hitched. Its to the point that it feels like I am loosing traction because the tires are lifting. Gonna start with a heavy replacment shock and see if the torsion bars can be cranked any more. If not, gonna try to go with the heavier bars and see if that helps.
sounds like you need shocks bud, but if it really worried about it then do what the guys at fabtech said, sounds like it would be the way to go if that's what they do with snowplows on the front
Air Flow:finger vanes, ported turbine housing, BatMoWheel, losend unison ring, ported exhaust manifolds, gasket matched up-pipes
Exterior: Rear Reunel bumper, leveled tow mirrors, HIDs (all on mod), ADP tie-rod sleeves, green tinted headlamp housings
Interior: 2 12" memphis car audio subs, custom sealed box and 2000 watt memphis amp, LED interior, dash and door lights-green, cobalt autometer pyro and boost piller gauges
Best Time: 13.72 @ 95 mph 1.89 60 foot
Work In Progress: 1969 Chevy Nova, built turbo 350, 283ci small block est. 550hp with 7500 rpm redline, caltracs, 4.11 ford 9" rear end, dual 3"exhaust
chevylovinfordtech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 09:27 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Honestly, the heavier springs would probably help- but it is the shocks not having enough rebound damping for what you've got going on.

The front end is extra heavy, so when you compress the front (bump or something) the front end goes down further than it "should." So the spring is applying more force than it "should" be for a bump that size. So the spring is pushing back extra hard, and you've got the weak rebound damping (resistance to motion) so the front end bounces coming back up- comes back up too fast. Stiffer springs often help to keep the end from moving too far- but they usually can use some additional rebound damping to go along- usually. So if it's a proper shock, a proper suspension shop can open it up and change the valving. It's what we do to motorcycle suspension all day long.

'06 LBZ, stock, long bed for hauling '07 KX250, VOR 530 SMRC.
stm suspension is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.