traction bar help please - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Suspension&Steering Discuss what Mods for the suspension & steering are right for you.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 08:35 AM   eBay Motors  #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cknight199 View Post
Why don't trucks come stock with traction bars? What's the purpose of axel wrap? Rather than having straight driveshaft?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
they do make the ride a little stiffer, from what i understand. and there is not purpose for axle wrap lol its bad. its more of a problem on lifted trucks with blocks and under power the axle "wraps" and puts alot of bind on everything. the bars prevent wrap, but with the side effect of a little stiffer ride, rattling and a little more weight
2008 LMM 2500HD, MA-700, MBRP 4'', K&N cold air intake, EFI Live from Diesel Addiction, edge insight, PPE lift pump, egr blocked, 33'' Goodyear duratracs on 20" XD Misfits, de-debadged,smoked tail lights and cab lights, halo headlights, black grille, leveled with keys, B&M gooseneck hitch, air ride air bags with compressor, Alligator tie rod sleeves, PPE shim kit,Rough Country 6'' Lift Powdercoated Orange, 35w 5000k HIDs highs, lows and fogs
WAITING TO BE INSTALLED - PCV reroute, Ppe rear diff cover, inline filter kit
>>>build thread<<<
BorderlineReckless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 08:44 AM   eBay Motors  #12 (permalink)

I hope you can got to these pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP6122.jpg (52.4 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP6123.jpg (55.1 KB, 125 views)
2004.5 lly CC/SB LT white 147k : EFI Live DSP5 Tuned by Kory : Georend transmission : Stright piped 4in MBRP turbo back exhaust : Pro fab down pipe : S&B CAI : Banks hot side intercooler pipe : EGR Block plate : AFE mouth piece : raptor lift pump : ported fuel fitting : shimmed fuel valve : CAT Nicktane adapter : Rare parts tie rods : Traction bars : Drive shaft loop
Dura is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 09:25 AM   eBay Motors  #13 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

First off you need actual jam nuts on there, not some 1/8th" threaded piece of plate. Second off you need jam nuts on both ends. Thats your problem, get some actual jam nuts on there and it wont loosen up on you.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:32 AM   eBay Motors  #14 (permalink)

What he said. That is your problem

2011 Blue granite 4x4 ltz LML CCSB LTZ 4x4, NAV/Sunroof/Rear Sliding Glass/Rear DVD, xd wheels, leveling kit, roof rack, 80 gal fuel tank, folding hard bed cover, weather tech, 3 inch down pipe, 5 inch exhaust, EFI from motorops, more to come
bturner is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 09:36 AM   eBay Motors  #15 (permalink)

Ok so tighten them togather and put some good jam nuts on and i should be good to go. thanks alot guys
2004.5 lly CC/SB LT white 147k : EFI Live DSP5 Tuned by Kory : Georend transmission : Stright piped 4in MBRP turbo back exhaust : Pro fab down pipe : S&B CAI : Banks hot side intercooler pipe : EGR Block plate : AFE mouth piece : raptor lift pump : ported fuel fitting : shimmed fuel valve : CAT Nicktane adapter : Rare parts tie rods : Traction bars : Drive shaft loop
Dura is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 09:37 AM   eBay Motors  #16 (permalink)

I have a set that I attached to the top of the axle. 05 crew cab Dmax. I have not noticed much in the way of a stiffer ride. But there is a world of difference in loose gravel, sand and wash board roads when running unloaded and with no trailer. My truck has no lift (stock suspension) and is used only to tow a 12,000 5th wheel.
lavarock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 09:48 AM   eBay Motors  #17 (permalink)
rms
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavarock View Post
I have a set that I attached to the top of the axle. 05 crew cab Dmax. I have not noticed much in the way of a stiffer ride. But there is a world of difference in loose gravel, sand and wash board roads when running unloaded and with no trailer. My truck has no lift (stock suspension) and is used only to tow a 12,000 5th wheel.
If you can, post a pic of them.

Does it help with ground clearance (off-road)?

2007 LBZ 4x4 regular cab
S & B Intake - Diablo Predator
285/75/16 Cooper ATP's - 8' Bedslide
Amp Steps - Bilsteins - Fumoto

The Arizona Diesel Club
rms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 02:44 PM   eBay Motors  #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms View Post
If you can, post a pic of them.

Does it help with ground clearance (off-road)?
Sorry I can not find a picture. I am in Arizona for the winter and did not bring my truck and trailer down this year.
But i have a post on Diesel Place Top mount trac bars?? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forumsthat shows the bar I am using and another I would do if I was to do it again. As for ground clearance everything is above the axle. Look at post #1 that is the bar I have. I am still trying to remember where I got the bars. I did make a major modification. If you notice the pivot point is at the axle. I broke the bar a couple times. I turned the bar 180 so the pivot point is at the spring hanger where it should be. I cut a section of square tubing for the bracket at the spring hanger. Had to add a heavy angle at the axle. If I were to do it again with above axle I would do what is shown in post #10.
If you are into serious pulling I agree the below axle is the way to go. But for my everyday use and only pulling a 5th wheel trailer my system works good.
lavarock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 03:11 PM   eBay Motors  #19 (permalink)
Dead beat seller

I had those bars on my 77 chevy least to say i cracked my leaf spring hanger and they didnt do shit
08 3500 ltz 4dr long bed 6 in lift deaver springs fox shock custom straight axle d60 fox coilovers. Smitty bumper warn 16.500 winch recon head lights royalty core grille protech headache rack 100 gal tank tool box. Mike l trans. S475 over stock 40 over nozzles airdog 150 and robs tuning
toxic diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 03:13 PM   eBay Motors  #20 (permalink)

Ya I'm not really seeing how the top mounted bars help at all

2011 Blue granite 4x4 ltz LML CCSB LTZ 4x4, NAV/Sunroof/Rear Sliding Glass/Rear DVD, xd wheels, leveling kit, roof rack, 80 gal fuel tank, folding hard bed cover, weather tech, 3 inch down pipe, 5 inch exhaust, EFI from motorops, more to come
bturner is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.