Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

LML 3500HD Dually - Nor-Cal Nick’s Hauler Project

17K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  speedracer2536 
#1 · (Edited)
After selling my 2008 Chevy 3500HD (Link to build thread: Cognito/ LMM Dually (pic's & spec's) I was trying to hold out for a new body Chevy but I could not any longer and I picked up this 2012 Chevy 3500HD LML in white and LTZ package. Because this dually has to “Do Work!” I will not be going crazy big but a 4” lift is planned and 35” tires. I am still waiting to figure out what wheels will be going on this truck but I hope to have that dialed in soon. Soon I will have a better build direction and details to share but I wanted to show it off finally, it’s been sitting in the shop for a couple months and I started driving it a few weeks ago and started getting pretty excited to be building another dually to say the least.

Yes another WHITE dually, just a clean color to work with and very wide open for the final theme that we end up with.

From my last 2008 I really like how Chevy stepped it up on the LTZ package head unit and runs a USB plug in the center console, another awesome feature is the heated & air conditioned seats…. Love it! My last dually I ripped the wood grain trim off and installed the silver so I am happy seeing they made that a option on the 2012.

It’s very nice to have a truck that we can use to test fit or use for instructions on my personal time frame and a product I just finished instructions on was our new version 20” Rigid LED bar brackets that we offer. New version allows the light to roll back so you can run covers, something many people asked for. We currently have the 20” Rigid & Mount kit available on our web site here: 20" Rigid LED Bar & Bumper Mount Combo Package

Nothing crazy but got the first load out of the way haha…. I have a Goose Neck adapter that I am installing on my fifth wheel in the next following weeks so I can get hooked to something big!

More to come soon,

Nor-Cal Nick

See less See more
#3 ·
Wicked Sub'd!!!!!!!

#6 ·
Better be seeing 20s on this thing!

#8 ·
Nice nick. Hey when u dump those stock wheels let know I might swing by a buy them from u

#10 ·
Thanks guys, I am really looking forward to a fresh platform to change it up little from what I had done to the 08.

Are you the same guy on the other forum that said the same thing about the whels? GD.com?

Hey Nick just to give you my experience with a goosneck adpater on a 5th wheel. Mine tore up the frame on my camper and i just have a little 25' 5th wheel. I had the steel fixed didn't cost to much but converted it back to 5th wheel and it pulls so much nicer way smoother and not as jerky. What kind of gooseneck hithc do you have in your dually, if its a bw they make a nice 5th wheel hitch that goes right into it. Just thought i would let a fellow duramax fan know when i read that. Love your builds have boughten parts from you guys a couple times love the diy install help. Keep up the good work.

I have a B&W on it and when I looked at the B&W fifth wheel add on it's only 18k and I will push it over that with my toyhauler dry. I run just the trailer at +/- 20K depending on much I am loaded. So I looked around and found this goose neck conversion and talked to the company and felt it would be my best direction.

RV3 No Offset Adapter - RV3 No Offset Adapter | Pop Up HitchPop Up Hitch

She is rated at 24K and uses a locking coupler on the king pin at the fifth wheel and then bolts on or you can also stitch weld it.

Looks like this when installed (this one has a offset):

Let me know what you guys think....

#9 ·
Hey Nick just to give you my experience with a goosneck adpater on a 5th wheel. Mine tore up the frame on my camper and i just have a little 25' 5th wheel. I had the steel fixed didn't cost to much but converted it back to 5th wheel and it pulls so much nicer way smoother and not as jerky. What kind of gooseneck hithc do you have in your dually, if its a bw they make a nice 5th wheel hitch that goes right into it. Just thought i would let a fellow duramax fan know when i read that. Love your builds have boughten parts from you guys a couple times love the diy install help. Keep up the good work.

#11 ·
WOW what kind of toyhauler do you have? Most of them are rated at 18-19k gross aren't they? That is a heavy toy hauler you have then. Should post some pictures of that big boy. Good luck with your projects.

#12 ·
sub'd!

#14 ·
Did you figure out what rims youd like? I put on Teflon rims and they have been great!
I live in Alberta and my dually is a daily driver, the weather and roads are shit here 6 months of the year. not one mark on them. I put on ATX rims and I removed the front hub adaptor so I could run a standard front rim not the typical offset one. looks better IMO.

#17 ·
Mud Flaps! Subd

#19 · (Edited)
*UPDATE*

Sorry it has been awhile, I have alot of projects for other truck owners I have been busy with and between this build and my "X-MAX" build I have to watch how fast I am putting money into these rigs. I never have a stock truck to test product on so it's been nice not going super fast into this project, plus it's been hard to top my last dually build because I can not get too far off the same path of the build because I do use this truck to the fullest.

I ended up purchasing the RV3 gooseneck adapter, the company was really nice and the product is STOUT for sure. ** Many have asked what my feelings on the RV3 adapter, I will give them further down the post **

The instructions say to bolt this on but I felt I would weld the perimeter and I also added an additional strap of metal to tie the pin box together better.

Believe it or not out of all the damn pics I took I never took a pic once the trailer was hooked to the gooseneck in the bed :(

The first trip with the toyhauler was a small drive to Hollister Hills for a dirt bike trip with family and friends for the Easter Holiday:

I truck was 100% stock and it hauled like CRAP! The trailer load sat the rear of the suspension on the upper over load springs so every bump the truck and trailer jerked around like crazy. I thought I was going to rip the pin box off the trailer it was so bad. My wife even said WTH was wrong because the old dually was nothing like how this new one was feeling.

After the Easter trip we installed a set of Air Lift helper bags and also a set of Fox Performance Series shocks. This truck is running a B&W gooseneck so the Air Lift helper bag ubolt frame straps would not fit around the B&W side frame plate so we simply welded the mount to the frame on one side and used the ubolt on the other, later we can simple grind the weld to remove the mount and with the load being applied against the frame mount being weld doesn't hurt anything.

The next trip with hooked was a big father & son trip mid June, this trip really gave me a ton of feed back on the new LML truck against what i was used to on my LMM being a 6 hour haul each way and over a wide variety of terrain from rolling hills and large grades while on the high way. Then we had about an hour drive on a dirt wash board road until we where at our camping spot in the Gerlach NV. desert.

Playing just the tip at this fuel station lol.... I backed out after fueling up.

For the drive a buddy was in a 2008 Chevy 2500HD that is on a Cognito 4" NTBD & 35x12.50x20's with stock gears but running a simple 60hp EFI Live tune with a turbo back 4" exhaust. He also has a 56gal Titan Fuel Tank so after we fueled at the same spots we compared how much fuel we used and he was using about 7-8 gals less than my stock LML. Now we had no where the same load hooked behind us but on the grades over the summits he left me in the dust.... I will be addressing the power to mpg of this LML soon lol.

Something I have had my eye on for a while that I finally decided to install inside my toyhauler before this trip was a product by Bolt it On - Bolt It On, Serious Racks It is a very clean way to strap your dirt bike inside your trailer with out a hundred tie straps from all sorts of angles. Just makes organizing so mush nicer.

For the dirt bike riders or camping guys you should love these pics of the killer father & son trip we took, for the others that are not really interested I am sorry for the heavy pics.

The group that was part of this trip thought of all kinds of guy fun, from dirt bike riding, guns & night hunting, fire works & blowing "stuff" up this trip was AWESOME!

Full shooting range!

In the middle of no where and of course we have a visitor :)

The best part about riding in the desert is take a trip to town for lunch with a big group of guys.

#20 ·
I have been a big dirt bike rider for years and have been enjoying bringing my son up in the sport, recently he stepped up to a KTM50 mini and for the first time I got to ride some desert trails with him, he is only 4 years old but he did great on a couple long 1 hour rides, made me so happy.

Here is what 5 gal propane tanks look like after being hit with a high power riffle while in the fire!

Couple pics heading out of the area where we camped, talk about twisting up the toyhauler and truck.

- Airlift helper bags and Fox Performance shocks, Thoughts & opinions:
The helper bags helped alot, the trucks ride height was much better where I could be at my unloaded right height but with the trailer hooked up. This gave the rear suspension available travel up or down with out bouncing off the over loads while driving down the highway, the ride improved big time and the rear bounce was reduced drastically between the helper bags and Fox Performance Series shocks. I am still not 100% satisfied but now that the trailer and truck are riding level the handling was acceptable as was the ride quality. Remember my pin weight is very heavy so it will take alot to dial it in to be the best, a lighter set up would be much easier to clean up. The only difference on my old LMM dually was larger tires, Sulastic Shackle and large style helper bags. I am positive with a 35" tire and Sulastics on this dually and I would be at the same ride quality as I had before I had upgraded to the large helper bag set up. Larger bags will run less PSI but while holding the same amount of weight so the truck would ride better with less bounce from the bag pressure.

- For the RV3 gooseneck adapter, Thoughts & my opinion:
The adapter is strong, the problem I see is the leverage on the front of the trailer. I can only speak about my feelings with this item installed on my Weekend Warrior CR3905 toyhauler.... the W/W trailers do have a longer pin box than others and I think with the length/leverage of the set up with how high I have the RV3 adjusted to puts alot of stress on the nose of the toyhauler. I have checked everything as far in as possible with out taking off the panels that cover the nose structure and nothing I can see has shown signs of failure or stress cracks but with a few hauls on this set up and my gut feeling I have decided that I will be removing the adapter and going back to a standard pin box for now. I have a few idea's of my direction with the dually and taking the bed off to run a flat bed and then lowering my toyhauler and then re-installing the adapter but in a much more reduced height to reduce the leverage. Originally that was the reason I went to the adapter so I don't have a fifth wheel hitch mounted to a flat bed.

I am not sure what the next upgrades will be but at some point it will have a Cognito 4" up front and I am looking at a Kelderman rear air ride suspension set up for the rear.

Sorry for the long post but thank you for following along with my project.

Nick

#21 ·
THanks for the update Nick! Nice pics!

#22 ·
Nick, when you did the Sulastics on the LMM did you have to loosen the bed to get the shackles on? There is a pinch weld in the way on my buddies LMM and can't get the upper bolt out. Sorry for hijacking your thread.

#23 ·
anything new on this one

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.