Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Lift to Level.. Opinions

3K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  NDFARMER95 
#1 ·
Okay guys wheels have been turning in my head to take my lift out and go to leveled. Pick up a little fuel economy, easier to get into the toolbox, just that kinda shit. Currently 6" zone with 3" blocks, 315's on H2's, 2" spacers, bushwacker pockets, bla bla bla. Would go to like a 33x12.5x18 or somewhere along those lines. Not sure if I would leave the flares on or not. Talk me into or out of this. :eek:

See less See more
#2 ·
How is your ride quality with the lift? I am leveled with suspension max keys on turned up 1.5 inches and it rides like pure ass. I'm considering going to a lift to improve the ride or even putting stock keys back in and just lowering the rear.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#6 ·
I don't think you need to go to a lift to improve your ride. Pick up a set of Cognito UCA's, longer front shocks, shock spacers or both and a set of stock keys. Your ride will improve immensely.
I have this setup on my truck and it rides just fine, almost as good as stock.
Adding just lift keys is really not the proper way to "Level" your truck.

#7 ·
Im not really familiar with the Zone lift but I'm pretty sure it installs like most of the other lifts out there so if you want to remove that lift you're going to need a mounting ear for your front diff, stock front Spindles/Knuckles and the missing part of the subframe that was cut out when the lift was installed.
My truck is leveled and I can fit LT295/70R/18's (34.5" tall and about 12"wide) under it and get no rubbing so if you want to go to a 33" tire I think you should be fine.

#8 ·
Keep the lift, mainly for the ease of not dealing with trying to put it back to stock. Just tune it down. Heard lots of guys on here buying the zone 6" lift and tuning it down to a 4" lift to get the CV's nearly level, and good ride.

My truck is leveled by previous owner, and while I love the look of it, it rides like crap. SUPER BOUNCY!! I really want to lift it, and throw 35's on her but have a 5th wheel and am afraid unless I flip the axles on it (which I don't want to do) it won't pull right lifted. So I'm probably going to wait until I need to replace my tires, and either do a lift then and tune it down (once I've done more research to see if that'll work for my needs) or maybe do the UCA replacement mentioned above.

#13 ·
Just a curious question, If you install a 6" lift that uses Spindles/Knuckles/Subframe brackets that are 6" longer/taller than stock, how do you drop it down to a 4" lift while keeping the same 6" longer knuckles and 6" longer subframe brackets?

#11 · (Edited)
lower your T-bar bolts (until perfectly flat/slighty neg. CV angles) and get a block to match. That is what I would do and definitely the cheapest/less pain in the ass route!

#15 ·
I agree, IMHO, that's going to screw up your suspension geometry and possibly your steering as well.

#14 · (Edited)
Why would flat CV angles be a bad thing?

#19 · (Edited)
CV angles don't get any better than that. So it looks like the Zone lift drops the diff about 6" lower as well which is the same distance as the 6" increase in the Knuckles and Subframe brackets. If you try and drop your front end lower, those CV's are going to be in negative territory, which is not a good thing because your suspension geometry will probably be screwed up, it might even affect your steering.
I don't know how anyone can think you can take a 6" lift kit and drop it to 4" based on my criteria in Post #13.
Cognito has a 4-6" lift kit but their Knuckles and subframe brackets are only 4" longer than the stock ones so at 4" your CV's are level but if you want to go higher then your CV angles will change. Cognito also, only drops the Diff 4" as well. Not ideal but workable if you want to go higher than 4".

#24 ·
Jacqson, what you're saying is correct but the majority of the 6" lift kits out there aren't actually a 6" drop and 6" spindle, they are less than that and the rest is achieved via cranking. It's just that Cognito is the only one that claims the actual 4"-6" instead of just claiming 6" like most. I only know this from reading and researching most the lifts on the market. I have the spreadsheet at work haha I use my work time valuably as you can see!

#25 ·
I totally understand what you're saying but the 4-6" Cognito only uses a 4" knuckle and 4" Sub frame brackets. You can achieve 6" of lift by cranking like you mentioned. So in this case you can decrank your 6" lift down to 4".
However if you have 6" knuckle & Sub frame brackets you could probably crank up to 7" but you're not going to go down to 4".
Regardless of what the lift is advertised as, your minimum lift height will never be lower than the actual length of the new lift knuckle and sub frame brackets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.