Front end CLUNK - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Suspension&Steering Discuss what Mods for the suspension & steering are right for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Front end CLUNK

So I notice a slight ticking sound almost like something rubbing on the wheel, couldn't really hear it over the exhaust unless your driving under 20mph, now when the truck is driving at different levels(side of a ditch or severally washboarded roads) at almost a crawl or faster speeds, or turning the wheels and backing out of driveway it clunks/pops LOUD, again this happes slow or fast, I put some grease in the front hopeing for a easy fix. When I hit bumps staight on the suspension cycles but the noise is almost nonexistent, ball joint?pitman arm?control arm bushing?body mounts?Differential mounting bolts/bushings? HELP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Have 6500 miles on my 16 lml
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinWyo View Post
So I notice a slight ticking sound almost like something rubbing on the wheel, couldn't really hear it over the exhaust unless your driving under 20mph, now when the truck is driving at different levels(side of a ditch or severally washboarded roads) at almost a crawl or faster speeds, or turning the wheels and backing out of driveway it clunks/pops LOUD, again this happes slow or fast, I put some grease in the front hopeing for a easy fix. When I hit bumps staight on the suspension cycles but the noise is almost nonexistent, ball joint?pitman arm?control arm bushing?body mounts?Differential mounting bolts/bushings? HELP
Jack front of truck up such that one front wheel is on the ground and the other is in the air. Dont let suspension go to full droop.
Grab the wheel at 10 and 6 and check for movement.
Grab the wheel at 3 and 9 and check for movement.
Set the truck down, go to the bed. Shake the truck fairly vigorously and see if the sound occurs and report what you find. I'm sure other members will chime in as well.

2006 LBZ CCSB 4x4
Goals: Excellent DD that's a little faster and a whole lot stronger.
Performance: 5" Dumped Cat-back | EFI Live by Idaho Rob
Suspension: 6" Fabtech | 325x60R20 Terras | 20x9s | RedHead | PISK | 2" Bora Spacers | Updated Rear Cab Mounts
Convenience: LEDs | All-On | EZ Tailgate Assist | Step Bars | Rhino-lined Bed | Weather-Tech Mats | Rear Fender Liners

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

I did put my truck in the air 2 times, took my buddy for a ride to make sure I was sane, he agreed a bad pop/clunk, I tried to see if there was problems, i tried different locations of moving the tire, they're isn't any play that I can tell, the only thing I saw out of place was the Torsion key bolt on the drivers side was screwed out a 1/2 inch less than the passenger side. Also my Differential mounting bolt was missing a nut on the driver side Rear of the front diff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170127_173337_1485564133229.jpg (33.2 KB, 155 views)
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 05:24 PM

Garage
sub'd

Terry
USMC 2001-2016
2002 RCSB 2500HD

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/447132.png
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Just drove 300 miles yesterday no change in how the truck usually drives but just when I'm turning or going over bumps that aren't uniform so that both tires are going over the same bump, it has the loud clunk
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Just drove 300 miles yesterday no change in how the truck usually drives but just when I'm turning or going over bumps that aren't uniform so that both tires are going over the same bump, it has the loud clunk
How are your sway bar end links?

2006 LBZ CCSB 4x4
Goals: Excellent DD that's a little faster and a whole lot stronger.
Performance: 5" Dumped Cat-back | EFI Live by Idaho Rob
Suspension: 6" Fabtech | 325x60R20 Terras | 20x9s | RedHead | PISK | 2" Bora Spacers | Updated Rear Cab Mounts
Convenience: LEDs | All-On | EZ Tailgate Assist | Step Bars | Rhino-lined Bed | Weather-Tech Mats | Rear Fender Liners
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Is taking it back to the dealer not an option?

2011 3500HD DRW•S&B Intake•FASS T150 & Factory Filter Delete•Beans Sump•PPEI Tuning[Inspection-month 22]•DuramaxTuner Spade[month 22-Inspection]•PPEI Transmission Tuning•Flo-Pro Delete Pipes•Flomaster Force II DPF back•Edge Insight CTS2•CURT Over-Bed Folding Ball GN Hitch•Pro Flaps mud flaps•Recon Cab, 3rd Brake Light and Marker Lights•Husky WeatherBeater Floor Mats

DF DRW Club #308
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

How are your sway bar end links?[/QUOTE]

The end links look fine, there isn't any mushroomed out bushings and they don't look lose, with the wheel on the ground and in the air I shook them to see if there was play, I think there fine
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbv203 View Post
Quote:
Is taking it back to the dealer not an option?
I can I have a good relationship with my dealer, just think it's something I can fix, if not I'll take it in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode