New here..help with lift options - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Suspension&Steering Discuss what Mods for the suspension & steering are right for you.

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

New here..help with lift options

So I just joined the site yesterday. Actually found it by googling pictures of lifts on 2500hd's. Mine is a 2500hd crew cab LTZ gasser. Thought I would just get the front leveled and get slightly larger tires than stock. Well.....I basically got chewed out told how stupid that was, only idiots do that, I'll wreck my front end components, screw the ride up, etc. Had to leave the site due to how nasty it was.

So I'm posting here to say what I would love to do but not sure I can afford it. I contacted a local off road shop. They have been in business for a while, know what they are doing by the amount of people you talk to, they always refer this company. This is all they do, install lifts and do custom fabrication. I got a response back that they can do a leveling kit. Was told the ones they use do NOT over stress the angles on the front end but that a better solution for tires, clearance, ride, and drive would be a 4.5" suspension kit. Specifically the BDS 4.5" kit with fox shocks.

I had also said I wanted to go with black fuel wheels and a 305-50/R20 tire. Nothing to aggressive because it's a daily driver truck that I also use for a part time landscaping business. I was looking at the Mickey Thompson ATZ and have had many sets of the BFG AT's. The Toyo AT's were recommended by the shop. As I'm reading this I'm like...wow, this sounds great...until I got to the final price. Parts, install, tax for the lift, tires and wheels was $6,000. Waaaaay out of my range (for right now at least). I went into this for the leveling kit, wheels, and tires with a $2,500-$3000 budget in mind.

I mean, after thinking about this I should probably just keep putting money aside until I can afford the $6,000 option. I mean, in the long run that seems to be the correct way to do things. I don't want to be impulsive but it's hard looking at some of the trucks on this site.

Also, I had my mind set on a 33" because that's as big as I was told you can go with a leveling kit only. But now....it would probably be better to do the 4.5" BDS in the long run, don't you think a 35" equivalent would look better on the 20" wheel with that 4.5 inches of lift?

What do you guys think of this? Just trying to bounce the ideas off of people with experience to get a general consensus. Thanks!
Woonie likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 07:21 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Garage
First, what year is your truck? Sorry, if it's in your sig, I can't see it in the app. Clearances vary from body to body...

What offset will your wheels be? That and tire size will tell you what needs to be done to clear them.

I'd say you'll be well over 2k with just wheels and tires, depending on what size wheels You'll be buying... What size are you getting?

--2015 GMC 3500 SRW/CCLB--

Engine rebuilt @ 170,000 miles due to hole in cylinder #7
First start on 5/13/16
235k miles on 1/9/17, and goin' strong...

S&B Intake, 3" MBRP downpipe, Flo-Pro 5" downpipe back exhaust/no muffler, PPEI tuned no longer, MOONSHINE tuned by Tony @ RidgeRunner, Airdog lift pump...

Monitoring via CTS2

Engine
Fingers Oval Bowl pistons @ 17.5:1 .040 over
Carrillo rods
chromoly pushrods
SoCal Girdle
ATI Super-Damper
ARP main and head studs
Keyed crank and cam
SDP CP3 coversion w/ Sportsman pump

Suspension
305/55/20 MT Baja ATZ P3s on stock 20's...
Kryptonite tie rods/centerlink

BUILD THREAD
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.M. View Post
First, what year is your truck? Sorry, if it's in your sig, I can't see it in the app. Clearances vary from body to body...

What offset will your wheels be? That and tire size will tell you what needs to be done to clear them.

I'd say you'll be well over 2k with just wheels and tires, depending on what size wheels You'll be buying... What size are you getting?
Sorry...It's a 2015. I'm really not sure about offset. I just learned what that term is from looking on this site. I'm not sure...I was just gonna go with whatever the shop did. I was gonna go with 20" wheels I guess by 9 because that's what the stocks are I assumed? Now that I've been reading I see a lot of guys going with the 20x10 instead. What the additional inch do? Not sure about a lot of things as you can tell!

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Anyone else???
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 09:31 AM

Where are you in VA?

I have a '16 and in looking to run bigger tires I did a lot of research on here (new to Chevy's). I cranked the torsion bars up 4 turns to reduce the nose down rake. I am installing a set of 35x11.5R20 tires on my factory 20x8.5 High Country wheels with this setup. No lift or leveling kit.

The stock wheels have a big 44mm offset which keeps the tires tucked in- this also helps with clearance of larger tires as it keeps the tires away from the fender and bumper. With a reduced offset you push the tire outward (most prefer that look), but risk hitting the fender and bumper with large tires. Its a trade off and I would do alot of reading on here before I pulled the trigger on anything.

The BDS kit will cost you $2,600 plus install, tires $1,000-1,500 depending on size and brand and wheel will likely cost $1,000 or more again depending on size and brand. $6k is pretty close... When I eventually go with a lift, I will go with BDS- its worth the money.

Good luck and do alot of searing on here...

2016 Silverado 2500HD High Country Duramax
Totally stock, for now.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Ram View Post
Where are you in VA?

I have a '16 and in looking to run bigger tires I did a lot of research on here (new to Chevy's). I cranked the torsion bars up 4 turns to reduce the nose down rake. I am installing a set of 35x11.5R20 tires on my factory 20x8.5 High Country wheels with this setup. No lift or leveling kit.

The stock wheels have a big 44mm offset which keeps the tires tucked in- this also helps with clearance of larger tires as it keeps the tires away from the fender and bumper. With a reduced offset you push the tire outward (most prefer that look), but risk hitting the fender and bumper with large tires. Its a trade off and I would do alot of reading on here before I pulled the trigger on anything.

The BDS kit will cost you $2,600 plus install, tires $1,000-1,500 depending on size and brand and wheel will likely cost $1,000 or more again depending on size and brand. $6k is pretty close... When I eventually go with a lift, I will go with BDS- its worth the money.

Good luck and do alot of searing on here...
Hey...I'm in the Richmond area. Yeah those prices were right along the lines of what I was quoted.

Thanks for the clarification on the offset...that makes sense. You're right, I do like the look of
the outward look but not too much, just a little if that's possible.

Man I would love to get this done. I have wanted a lift probably since 1998-1999 and that was like 5 vehicles ago! Just feel selfish spending that amount of money on me when I have a family.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 09:43 AM

Garage
What he said...

You can fit 35s on a factory wheel, and clear them with no cutting... Factory wheel specs are 20x8.5, offset is +44.

Offset are available anywhere from +44 to -76. The further negative you go, the further the wheel sticks out, thus making it harder to clear 33s, much less 35s. IMO, yes, 33s will look to small on a 4.5 BDS. But, if you have to much negative offset, even with the lift, you'll have to cut and trim to clear 35s.

I'd recommend cruising the customwheeloffsets site for awhile, you'll find near any setup you can think of, along with prices and how well they clear...

First start on 5/13/16

S&B Intake, 3" MBRP downpipe, Flo-Pro 5" downpipe back exhaust/no muffler, PPEI tuned no longer, MOONSHINE tuned by Tony @ RidgeRunner, Airdog lift pump...

Monitoring via CTS2

Engine
Carrillo rods
chromoly pushrods
SoCal Girdle
ATI Super-Damper
ARP main and head studs
Keyed crank and cam

Suspension

BUILD THREAD
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
What he said...

You can fit 35s on a factory wheel, and clear them with no cutting... Factory wheel specs are 20x8.5, offset is +44.

Offset are available anywhere from +44 to -76. The further negative you go, the further the wheel sticks out, thus making it harder to clear 33s, much less 35s. IMO, yes, 33s will look to small on a 4.5 BDS. But, if you have to much negative offset, even with the lift, you'll have to cut and trim to clear 35s.

I'd recommend cruising the customwheeloffsets site for awhile, you'll find near any setup you can think of, along with prices and how well they clear...
Great info, thanks for that. I guess I would need to look for a 35 then. With a tire that big, does it still look ok with an AT tire like the Toyo? Or would it have a weak look and maybe I need to look for something more aggressive looking?

Also, what would a happy medium offset be? Something that clears 35's with no issues, sticks out slightly but not too much?
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 10:30 AM

Garage
Here's an example from the CWO website. 20x10 wheel, -12 offset, 35x12.5 tires, on a leveling kit. Very slight rubbing, a little plastic trimmed... As you've discovered already, there's not a lot of love around here for leveling kits, but some people do it anyway... Don't complain if you do... These pictures are just a point of reference to give you an idea of where to start looking at offsets.

ATs will look good, but a more aggressive tire will just look "gooder"... In the eye of the beholder, of course... Choose whatever suits you best...

First start on 5/13/16

Monitoring via CTS2

Engine
Carrillo rods
chromoly pushrods
SoCal Girdle
ATI Super-Damper
ARP main and head studs
Keyed crank and cam

Suspension

BUILD THREAD
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Here's an example from the CWO website. 20x10 wheel, -12 offset, 35x12.5 tires, on a leveling kit. Very slight rubbing, a little plastic trimmed... As you've discovered already, there's not a lot of love around here for leveling kits, but some people do it anyway... Don't complain if you do... These pictures are just a point of reference to give you an idea of where to start looking at offsets.

ATs will look good, but a more aggressive tire will just look "gooder"... In the eye of the beholder, of course... Choose whatever suits you best...

Awesome M.A.M.!! Appreciate the help! I feel the need to change the truck from stock....you know that feeling? It's like an itch! After looking at those pics you posted versus the 4.5 BDS lift pics on this site............ there is NO comparison! I should just wait, keep it stock and do it the right way. Sucks but it'll probably be better in the long run.

I guess the other thing is......hopefully 4.5 isn't too high to tow a landscaping trailer and haul dirt and mulch in the bed.
M.A.M. likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode