Lifting 5th wheel camper - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 07:54 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Lifting 5th wheel camper

I've been looking for bumper pull campers for a while bc i have a lifted truck and thought that would be my best bet for towing, but I got a deal on a 5th wheel that i couldnt pass up on. So now I need to lift my 2005 keystone 5th wheel. It already has springs on top of axle so cant do that swap, can i use a lift block and bigger tires? Anything else that I could do?. I know people are gonna say its not safe or lower the truck but if you have any suggestions please post.
Efi live (kory willis)
5" straight pipe
justinbaltman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2012, 08:19 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

I had somewhat the same setup as you with my previous duramax, fun truck. My wife and i purchased our first 29' fifth wheel last fall. Were young still only 24, spent all our lives camping in fifth wheels with our families, but this is our first together. We bought the fifth wheel and their just wasnt anyway i could make my 04 dmax work, it had about 8" overall lift. With the camper sitting level and backing the truck upto the unit, the bed rails were still above the camper by 4-5", so i wouldve needed at minimum a 10" lift on the camper. SO i figured the 04 was getting a little old and went and purchased a new 2012 denali dually because i knew well be camping for many many years to come, and we also pull our 20' crestliner walleye boat and camper all at once so the LML power is nice. BUT even with that truck i needed a 6" lift on the camper because on the NBS trucks the box's are deeper. Even with the 6" lift on the camper i have a comfortable 5 3/4" which is good for us as we dont offroad with the camper. I know alot of guys pull campers with lifted trucks, but depending on your unit your going to need a substantial lift, and dont "settle" for "thats probably enough clearence" even with our stock truck pulling the camper on some certain sharp hills/corners i get very close to kissing the bottom of the camper with the bed rails. Also id totally reccommend re-gearing for towing a fifth. Like i say i had almost the same setup and pulling our 20' walleye boat even with a tune, i wont say it struggled but it laboured getting upto highway speed.

Iam totally positive it can be done, alot of guys seem to do it i am just not too sure how they get the unit completely level, with adequate clearence between the bedrails without a substantial lift. These pictures were before the lift on the camper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (61.1 KB, 300 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (52.7 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (58.0 KB, 295 views)

2012 GMC Denali Duramax Dually, boxliner, 6" oval steps, H&S mini-max tuner, full dpf/urea delete, MBRP 4" duals

2004 silverado duramax LT, 6" procomp lift, 37" nitto trail grapplers, 20" black hoss rims, Autometer A-pillar boost/pyro guages, diablo predator tuner, custom made rear/front bumpers, custom headache rack, (SOLD)

Last edited by pressure_welder; 03-05-2012 at 08:26 PM.
pressure_welder is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 08:28 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
Duramax Forum Supporter
Supporting Member

Unless you are trying to set a record for the tallest, most unstable 5th wheel, I would either delift or get another truck just for towing the 5er. That's why (one reason, anyway) I keep my truck stock height and not leveled.
2004.5 GMC SLT 4X4 CCLB LLY Ally, EFI Live V2 & DSP5 by Rob, trans by Mike L, Magnaflow DP, Ride Rites, LBZ turbo inlet mod, AD II 165, po' man CAI, HIDs, stock height, Cognito tie rods, Bilstein 5100s, Isspros, H2 wheels with Toyo OC 285-70-17s, B&W turnover & Companion, Prodigy P3, dog snot on windows......

Sent from my antique HP DV7-4183cl with Radeon HD5470 graphics, Beats Audio and Blu-ray drive.....
ALLY Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 08:38 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

I have a friend who just bought a 5th wheel a couple months back and he has a lifted truck too. He took the 5th wheel to a local trailer shop and they actually modified the frame of the trailer to sit higher. He pulls it fine.
Adrenaline Truck Performance
Mad Jack Racing
jtyson8602 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 05:01 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Has anyone ever changed the shackles (spring hangers) to get a few inches, then I could clear a larger tire?
Efi live (kory willis)
5" straight pipe
Old 03-06-2012, 05:08 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

What is the total hieght right now? Might want to think about that before lifting to much.
76 Dodge Charger SE
87 Chevy Silverado
https://www.syntheticmotorsports.com
rd05lly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 05:20 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd05lly View Post
What is the total hieght right now? Might want to think about that before lifting to much.
I agree!

My 5th wheel sits at 153" when level, some of the two air-conditioner models go 160"...that's 12.5 to over 13 feet...If you raise much more, you have the potential for all kinds of clearance problems.

CH
2009 Black 3500HD LTZ 4X4 Crew Cab Dually; Banks CAI with Super Scoop; Banks Monster Single exhaust; Amsoil BMK-27 filter set on Madjack Racing's bracket, Amsoil 5W-40; T-Rex Upper Class mesh grille in black, blacked out center bumper; Cowl hood scoop; Hadley roof mount air horns; klaxon; Alpha-Therm heated washer fluid; Westin chrome side steps; BAK hard tonneau; spray-in bedliner by Sport Truck Specialties; Reese 18K Signature 5th wheel hitch; Mag-Hytec diff. cover with Amsoil lube; Edge Insight CTS in dash pod; Hypertech Max-Energy, Level 2. Tire Minder TPMS for truck & 6th Wheel.
Chuck Hovonick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 05:52 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

There are also potential insurance problems with raising a 5th wheel. You lift it 2" above the mfr's design and it rolls getting off the e-way it could be on you. I took mine to the trailers mfr. and had them do the lift on mine. They knew exactly how high they could raise my trailer.

That being said, look into an axel flip. That may be easy enough for you to do.
EGR Block/PVC Reroute
Transgo Jr./Transynd
CTS w/Turbo Timer
Air Ride Airbags w/Air One Wireless
Rancho RS900's
Aahhyes68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 05:57 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Ill have to measure tallest point this aftetnoon. Itd not a huge 5er, alot smaller than most ive seen sd o I think clearance will be ok
Efi live (kory willis)
5" straight pipe
Old 03-06-2012, 06:09 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Definatly want to measure the tallest point on the camper, and be sure you do a pre trip to know what bridges/overpass's you may be going under. OR gas stations with the canopy type roof. I would suggest talking to Norcal Nick. He has a lifted NBS dually that he pulls his toy hauler with. His toy hauler has to have a lift on it.

2012 GMC Denali Duramax Dually, boxliner, 6" oval steps, H&S mini-max tuner, full dpf/urea delete, MBRP 4" duals

2004 silverado duramax LT, 6" procomp lift, 37" nitto trail grapplers, 20" black hoss rims, Autometer A-pillar boost/pyro guages, diablo predator tuner, custom made rear/front bumpers, custom headache rack, (SOLD)
pressure_welder is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.