rear brake pad wear towing - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 06:08 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

rear brake pad wear towing

noticed my rears smell really bad after pulling out 13k 5er. is the trailer putting more stress on them then the fronts?? I hate my brake controller (Reese) it does not seem to slow it down much, and when the controller is set high the trailer jerks and grabs at a stop. should I expect accelerated rear pad wear while towing???
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 06:53 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

I had a couple brake controllers like the one you have and then I got a new work truck with the prodigy controller and I love it so I went and got one for my personal truck. I like it cause it gives you an actual digital read out of the braking pressure. Also iirc the rear brakes on these trucks do more stopping than the front
18" American Racing ATX rims
mbrp 4"
K&N CAI
Pioneer 7" indash DVD
nicktane adapter
redneck6821 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 07:15 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Yep, your trailer braking is not up to par and the truck's doin' all the work. It's built for towing and to help control any jackknifing effect when towing, your rear brakes get more umph than the fronts do.

This is why you never want to rely on the typical visual inspection of the fronts (when rotating) to determine pad life left. Judge by the fronts only and you could very well be gouging rear rotors with no pads left.

It doesn’t matter what brand of controller you go with (Reese, Draw-tite, Tekonsha), they all use the same guts. Just make sure you’ve got a proportional type controller that varies the braking output in relation to how hard you’re braking your truck.

No more slams at low speeds and no more panics at highway speed. Just smooth variable braking from the controller. Note: A new proportional controller is about 1/10th the price of a complete HD brake job.

Also, make sure your trailer brakes are adjusted properly. That with the new controller and you should be set.
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"

Hook'em_Horns! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 08:00 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post
Also, make sure your trailer brakes are adjusted properly. That with the new controller and you should be set.
X2.....even the best controller can't compensate for brakes that are not properly adjusted. Your controller may be OK.
Husky Mud Guards.
GM rear "wheel-well" inner liners.
Monroe 2969 steering stabilizer.
Luverne - Stainless Steel Side Entry Steps.
Wedged spacers in overload springs
warsw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 08:09 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
Banned

Good working trailer brakes should be able to stop the truck and trailer safely... even without the truck using its brakes.
Hondarider552 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 08:36 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

You don't have gear oil on your brake pads do you. Makes me think you have a wheel seal bad because you are smelling them.
76 Dodge Charger SE
87 Chevy Silverado
https://www.syntheticmotorsports.com
rd05lly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 02:41 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd05lly View Post
You don't have gear oil on your brake pads do you. Makes me think you have a wheel seal bad because you are smelling them.
smells like pad burning and no
leaks
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.