04 Duramax dually nicely tow a 16,100lb 5er? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 11:39 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

04 Duramax dually nicely tow a 16,100lb 5er?

Howdy duramax folks,

I bought from my sister an 04 Silverado 3500 extended cab dually 4x4 w/ 6.6 Duramax, 8ft bed, 3.73 rear axle, automatic trans, and now I’m looking for a Toyhauler for some full timing, with some cross country trips, but not moving constantly. I need help determining if the one I'm looking at is really too big. It has the following specs:

Dry Weight 13,940 lbs.
Gross Vehicle Wt Rating (GVWR) 18,420 lbs.
Unloaded Vehicle Wt (UVW) 14,040 lbs.
Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC) 3,520 lbs.
Hitch Weight 2,720 lbs.

I Believe the GCVWR of this dually is 23,500 lbs. I Know the GAWR FRT is 4800 lbs, GAWR RR is 8550, and GVWR is 11,400 lbs.

Let's assume the actual weight of the dually w/ passengers and everything is 7400 lbs. That leaves 16,100 lbs for the total weight of the trailer (23,500 - 7400). I can see maxing out at 16,100 lbs on the trailer with dirt bikes, gear, and full fresh water.

I know it depends on driving style a lot, but how’s it gonna tow at this max? Mountains? What about transmission life if I drive wisely and conservatively? What about going a bit over 16,100 lbs?

I like the layout of the Forest River better than some others. Other 3 slide toyhaulers: Cyclone 4012 is just as heavy, and Raptor 3712, is about 1500 lbs lighter. How much difference would 1500 lbs really make w/ the Raptor? All three have about the same hitch weight I think.

Thank you for any input. Especially from those with this kind of experience.

Gil

Last edited by stummer; 12-09-2012 at 06:29 PM.
stummer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 11:43 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

If a tundra can pull the space shuttle then you should be able to pull the trailer you want!
Old 12-04-2012, 11:47 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Congrats on the new truck! Is it an 04 LB7 or 04.5 LLY?
If its an LLY may need to implement a few preventative cooling measures before you hook to that beast! Lot of info on LLY overheating on here.

Other than that bit of info I know very little about hauling anything that large, but I'm sure others will chime in shortly!
2005 GMC 2500HD • 4x4 • Duramax • Allison • Denali Headlights • 285/55R20 Nitto Terra Grapplers on Black/Machined XD Hoss -12 Offset • MBRP 4" Stainless Turbo Back • Diamond Eye Turbo Direct Pipe • LBZ Mouthpiece • EGR Blocked & Cooler Bypassed • PPE Standard Level 4 • Autometer Cobalt Boost Gauge • EDGE Insight CTS w/ EGT Probe • Head Gaskets & Studs @ 145,000 MILES

Check out some pics HERE
HERE
js05sierrahd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 11:54 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by js05sierrahd View Post
Congrats on the new truck! Is it an 04 LB7 or 04.5 LLY?
If its an LLY may need to implement a few preventative cooling measures before you hook to that beast! Lot of info on LLY overheating on here.

Other than that bit of info I know very little about hauling anything that large, but I'm sure others will chime in shortly!
I agree with js. If it is an LLY, there are a few things you will want to do to it, but it should be bullet proof after that especially if you leave everything else stock.

If it is an LB7, you need to know if it has had injectors replaced. If not, save up and be ready to do that in the near future.

Other than that, do not hesitate to put some weight behind it, and don't worry, it will be able to tow more than you are skilled enough to tow, and that is not a knock on your towing skills in the least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Franklin
Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn’t.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Reagan
It isn’t so much that liberals are ignorant. It’s just that they know so many things that aren’t so.
rkhodges21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 12:00 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

You'll pull it without any problems. I pull almost the same weight TH with still a little trailer behind that with ease. I'm sure now it'll only get easier since I got EFI Live from Rob.
01 lb7 drw cclb 1 ton 4x4 federal truck. straight pipe with two 5" tips and banks exhaust brake. EFI live with cts monitor by ATP, CAT fuel filter adapter, Air Dog 165, AEM Intake, 6" lift with 285-70-16E Nitto MT tires. Sulastics shackles, AMP steps, HID head lights,Recon clear cab lights and led tail lights. 110 gal aux. tank "for those long trips to dumont dunes." everything that's not chrome color matched. stereo with 3 dvd screens for the wife and kids.`:shots
GM DRW club member #95

15' srw ccsb 1 ton Denali on order
YAMAHA1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 12:05 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhodges21 View Post

Other than that, do not hesitate to put some weight behind it, and don't worry, it will be able to tow more than you are skilled enough to tow, and that is not a knock on your towing skills in the least.
I second this all of these trucks are strong pullers! BUT Stoping thats another story! Keep your max GVW in check, just cause you can pull it doesn't mean you can do it safely...
2005 GMC 2500HD • 4x4 • Duramax • Allison • Denali Headlights • 285/55R20 Nitto Terra Grapplers on Black/Machined XD Hoss -12 Offset • MBRP 4" Stainless Turbo Back • Diamond Eye Turbo Direct Pipe • LBZ Mouthpiece • EGR Blocked & Cooler Bypassed • PPE Standard Level 4 • Autometer Cobalt Boost Gauge • EDGE Insight CTS w/ EGT Probe • Head Gaskets & Studs @ 145,000 MILES

Check out some pics HERE
HERE
js05sierrahd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 02:40 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

sj05sierrahd and rkhodges the transmission is an Allison. I’m not fluent in all the abbreviations, but that must be what LLY is. Thank you very much, and I’ll look into that. I’ve towed an 8500 lb travel trailer w/ an 1999 V10 Ram 2500frt/3500r leaf springs a lot ski/treking in the US/Canada Rockies full timing for 3 years a while back. I went through a transmission due to powering up steep hills in overdrive towing only waterlogged 16 foot Boston whaler in BC. Lesson learned. I am now a smiling totally relaxed slowpoke all the time honest to goodness. YAMAHA1 thanks. Yes it’s all about stopping. Going down big mountain passes, I used to sparingly use the brake controller independently of the foot pedal brake. Sometimes trailer brakes without truck brakes can seamlessly and instantly draw truck and travel trailer in line and in sync. Sparingly though or you'll destroy the trailer brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenmc89 View Post
If a tundra can pull the space shuttle then you should be able to pull the trailer you want!
Ah if the world were still flat!

Thanks everyone. More perspectives?

Last edited by stummer; 12-04-2012 at 03:01 PM. Reason: editing
Old 12-04-2012, 02:57 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

LLY is the engine code, if the 8th digit of the VIN is 1 its an LB7 if its 2 then its an LLY.
Built Front End
Supporting Mods
andy-stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 03:12 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
JUST TROLLING AROUND
Lifetime Supporting Member

if it.'s a lly there are some things you should do to it beforehand towing injectors under vauvle cover lb7 good to go injectors visable to the eye lly
Old 12-05-2012, 09:37 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Thank you for the info everybody. The 8th digit is a 2 so it's a lly. I did a search on the site for lly injectors and read very briefly about rebuild or replace and something involving an ice pick. Don't know if that's what you're talking about. What's the issue and what needs to be done? I'll get a shop to do it. Approx cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAMAHA1 View Post
I'm sure now it'll only get easier since I got EFI Live from Rob.
Is this something I should look into? Also wondering about Ride Rite airbags/airsprings. And of course there's the question of the choice of which fifth wheel hitch.

Last edited by stummer; 12-05-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.