Weight distribution hitch - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 09:35 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Weight distribution hitch

I have a 2500 diesel, pulling a 36' travel trailer with a hitch weight of 850 lbs. On the drop the weight drops my rear 1-1/2". I have a sway control bar, but do I need to use a weight distribution hitch? What is the added addvatage? Thank you for your insight!
supermike78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 09:42 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

If your trailer weighs more then 8 thousand pounds I would say it would be a good idea for a wdh. It spreads the tongue weight out between the axels so the trailer isn't just slamming on the hitch.
MHDMAX66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 10:17 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

Not only that but it will give you a smoother ride. (Less bouncing up and down of the rear end)

06 LBZ, CC SB
52 gal titan
edge juice w/ attitude

nmeyer414 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 10:20 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

I still run mine on my 32' trailer behind my 2500hd... barely drops the rear bumper, but can tell a difference in the ride with it vs not with it
Old 12-26-2012, 10:34 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

I personally dont like how far most of the brands set the ball away from the bumper. I think theyre ok if your going to pull once and awhile. For every day pulling its money well spent to add more rear suspension to the truck, airbags, bigger springs. And upgrade receiver hitch to a heavier model.
50% towing miles, Bridgestone Duravis R500 Tires,Counteract balancing beads, Rancho 9000 shocks, 89 Gallon RDS in box tank, 1 ton rear leaf springs, Curt 20k Fifth Wheel, Curt 18K Rear Mount hitch, Firestone ride-rite air bags, NUC Motorsports Bypass oil Filtration, Edge Insight CTS, Fass 95HD

2013 LT CC & Chassis with 9' Hillsboro Aluminum flatbed
chevor-2010-gmc-2500-maintenance-log
Quest for Ultimate Hotshot Truck
chevor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 11:50 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

36' foot TAG trailer

Are you still using the stock hitch receiver? If so, I would upgrade that with so much weight on it. As for the WD hitch, you don't NEED it, but it does smooth out the ride and is worth the money. you absolutely need to do one of the two, either a new hitch receiver or a WD set-up. Not a bad idea to do both.
Edge Juice w/Attitude - 4" straight pipe (shaved the muff and killed the kitty) with 5" tip - Blocked EGR - triple guage pod (Aux Fuel, Air Bags, Boost) - air bags w/compressor and 2 gallon air tank - train horn - tint (5 back/15 front) - custom grill - pace roll-top cover - 28 gallon aux fuel tank (gravity feed) - Pioneer AVIC-D3 in dash DVD/GPS/Bluetooth unit with XM Nav Traffic - metra on-star adaptor - PAC SWI-PS steering wheel remote interface - 2 10" MTX subs with Rockford amp - head rest monitors - passenger visor monitor - viper remote start - 07 mirrors (w/ DIY leveling) - DIY pre-OEM Cat fuel filter - boost stick - AEM Brute Force CAI - 20" black spoke KMC wheels mounted with 305x50x20's
premis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 01:24 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Good idea to upgrade-! The stock hitch is only rated 7500 lbs-. Read the sticker on the hitch.
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.