Analysis Paralysis - - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 08:36 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
Finally Deleted and Tuned
Lifetime Supporting Member

Analysis Paralysis -

I just bought a used 2001 LB7 2500 with a 12 inch lift about 3 months ago that had 125k on it. I had no intention of towing anything and then voila! I rented a trailer to take the kids (7&9) and the wife camping. They really liked it more than I expected and I suspect that I am going down the path of doing a lot of RVing in the next 5 years.

I started looking at the bigger bumper pull rigs (the last one was a 10,000 lb 35 ft that I rented). As you can imagine it is not optimal with the lift. Reading that the 5ers are the way to go and that is out of the quesiton with the 12 inch lift.

So that means lowering the truck back to 4inch or stock, changing tires, etc. What can I expect to be able to haul with the 2500 in terms of size of 5er?

The other option is to take it in the shorts and dump the truck and buy a DRW 2009 3500 4WD.

Anyone want to offer some expert advice on whether to re-tool the K2500 or just take the hit and get a K3500 DRW?

Thanks in advance. I'm new to the tow life, and it seems that lifts and towing are not exactly compatible for serious towing.

RedNeck Dually Build Thread
Dually Club Member #191
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERWATCH_09 View Post
The perfect storm of incompetence....Nothing more dangerous than a redneck with money.....
TexasRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 09:12 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

We have a 28' bumper pull w slide out and it is fine for four of us. We don't travel long distances with it though. IMO the dually and 5th wheel would be the way to go if traveling long distances.
LEVELED, EFI, DSP5, BLOCKED, REROUTE, 4" MBRP

2005 dmax cc (sold)
2002 dmax cc (sold)
DMAXLTZ09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 09:26 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

10k toy hauler and its barely even noticeable behind me with the lmm
2007.5 Chevy 2500HD -- EFI Live by Kory Willis/DSP5 -- 4" MBRP turbo back w/ Muffler -- Diamond Eye Downpipe -- EGR Blocker Plate -- Nictane W/ Cat filter -- Edge Insight W/ EGT -- Firestone Riderite Bags -- 265/75/16 Duratrac W/ leveling kit -- Rancho RS9000xl's
stang233 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 09:06 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

If you tow a lot, get a dually. If this is a weekend thing or even a once a month thing and you use your truck as a daily driver, keep the SRW and buy a camper it can haul.

With a SRW you should be able to safely tow upwards of 16,000 lbs. Just keep an eye on pin weight, toy hauler type trailers have heavy pin weights unloaded.
Edge Juice w/Attitude - 4" straight pipe (shaved the muff and killed the kitty) with 5" tip - Blocked EGR - triple guage pod (Aux Fuel, Air Bags, Boost) - air bags w/compressor and 2 gallon air tank - train horn - tint (5 back/15 front) - custom grill - pace roll-top cover - 28 gallon aux fuel tank (gravity feed) - Pioneer AVIC-D3 in dash DVD/GPS/Bluetooth unit with XM Nav Traffic - metra on-star adaptor - PAC SWI-PS steering wheel remote interface - 2 10" MTX subs with Rockford amp - head rest monitors - passenger visor monitor - viper remote start - 07 mirrors (w/ DIY leveling) - DIY pre-OEM Cat fuel filter - boost stick - AEM Brute Force CAI - 20" black spoke KMC wheels mounted with 305x50x20's
premis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 09:14 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

I totally agree with premis.
4" exhaust w/muffler, EGR delete/Sinister diesel, Kodiak LBZ mouthpiece, PCV rerouted, Nicktane/CAT adapter, Autometer pyro & boost gauges, EFI Live by Kory, Transgo, pump rub kit, LBZ intake conv, H2's, Debadged
nick1camper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 04:59 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

I only put about 6K per year on my truck. My DD is a sedan. I need to check the GVWR on the sticker to see what I can haul. Mine is a 2500 so I'm sure it will be a bit lower.

Oh, and I did drive a 2012 k3500 LTZ DRW today just to see how it drove and it drove reeeally nice. Nothing that 48K won't fix! Plus I'd take it in the shorts on my "new" 2001 K2500HD after just having a new CP3, AD165, Autometers, Calvin's built trans, and Kory Willis EFI with DSP instgalled.

Dually Club Member #191
Quote:
The perfect storm of incompetence....Nothing more dangerous than a redneck with money.....
Old 01-07-2013, 06:06 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DF Sponsors

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedNeck View Post
I only put about 6K per year on my truck. My DD is a sedan. I need to check the GVWR on the sticker to see what I can haul. Mine is a 2500 so I'm sure it will be a bit lower.

Oh, and I did drive a 2012 k3500 LTZ DRW today just to see how it drove and it drove reeeally nice. Nothing that 48K won't fix! Plus I'd take it in the shorts on my "new" 2001 K2500HD after just having a new CP3, AD165, Autometers, Calvin's built trans, and Kory Willis EFI with DSP instgalled.
How's that trans treatin ya? :-)

Kory

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
10.87@128.5
09 6.4f250 MCC-PPEI
Need/Want our Efilive tuning?
http://www.syntheticmotorsports.com/
*Please send PMs and messages to MRMANNERS here.. I'm just the nerd that builds tunes/code.. and blows up my personal stuff to better the rest of the community*
bluessmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 06:42 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

35 footer with 2 kids , thats not camping,
Just 4 of you, I would go a bit smaller and tow behind... and leave truck alone
PPE Hot Race tuner / TransGo Jr. / Pillar gauges
JVC - DVD/Nav system & Back up camera/2500w inverter/ 55w reverse lamps/Amber strobe lights X4 corners
front hidden hitch/rear hitch/turn over ball 5th wheel hitch/custom grille
DRW # 101
bubblebutt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 07:42 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluessmax View Post
How's that trans treatin ya? :-)

Kory

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Bro the tranny aint bad. I don't drive it much so it is still learning I think. the 3/4 upshift seems quite a bit harsher than the 1/2 and 2/3 when I'm rolling into it. The tunes are sick. I have to keep remebering that I can't even roll into it good on "5" with out serious axle wrap. I need to get traction bars quick if I keep it.

Thanks for the help on it. Who knows? If I get the 2012 dually, I'll have to be back for new tunes!

Dually Club Member #191
Quote:
Old 01-07-2013, 07:45 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblebutt View Post
35 footer with 2 kids , thats not camping,
Just 4 of you, I would go a bit smaller and tow behind... and leave truck alone
Yeah, you're tellin me? My wife likes to take a small apartment with her.....

I'd be happy with a tent and some sleeping bags, but that ain't flying with the boss.

Dually Club Member #191
Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.