Trailer brake problems! - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 05:21 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Trailer brake problems!

I was hooking up my gooseneck which I've hooked up several times in the past and now I'm having problems. All my fuses are good and when I hook it up all my lights and everything work but my brake controller reads not connected and my trailer brakes for work. But the weird thing is all the lights work. Help!

SOLD: 05 LLY CC/SB 130k.. Leveled 4.5in BDS, 20x12in moto metal 962, 35 toyo mts, ATP tunes, EGR delete, PCV reroute, Airdog II 165, Mbrp 4in turbo back straight stainless 6in tip, LBZ mouthpiece, AEM Brute Force intake, Pioneer Double Din, TVs Headrest, 5% tint, Hide-Away Gooseneck
Dur05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 06:04 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

It could be many things. What brake controller do you have. Do you use the 7 way on the rear hitch or do you have a plug in the bed? I would start by using a test light and see if the bottom right pin on the trucks plug is getting power when you step on the brake or squeeze the manual lever.
Ezkieler850 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 08:26 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

What kind of brake controller?

Check all the wiring, clean the connectors.
Edge Juice w/Attitude - 4" straight pipe (shaved the muff and killed the kitty) with 5" tip - Blocked EGR - triple guage pod (Aux Fuel, Air Bags, Boost) - air bags w/compressor and 2 gallon air tank - train horn - tint (5 back/15 front) - custom grill - pace roll-top cover - 28 gallon aux fuel tank (gravity feed) - Pioneer AVIC-D3 in dash DVD/GPS/Bluetooth unit with XM Nav Traffic - metra on-star adaptor - PAC SWI-PS steering wheel remote interface - 2 10" MTX subs with Rockford amp - head rest monitors - passenger visor monitor - viper remote start - 07 mirrors (w/ DIY leveling) - DIY pre-OEM Cat fuel filter - boost stick - AEM Brute Force CAI - 20" black spoke KMC wheels mounted with 305x50x20's
premis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 09:03 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

I have a plug in my bed, yes i have used a test light and all bring power except the bottom one and the bottom left, even the brake lights work but the controller still reads not connected. I'll take a look at it tomorrow im not sure what brand it is but it goes off the pressure you put on the brake pedal instead of going all the way up to the number you set it on, thats what i like about it compared to my old controllers.

SOLD: 05 LLY CC/SB 130k.. Leveled 4.5in BDS, 20x12in moto metal 962, 35 toyo mts, ATP tunes, EGR delete, PCV reroute, Airdog II 165, Mbrp 4in turbo back straight stainless 6in tip, LBZ mouthpiece, AEM Brute Force intake, Pioneer Double Din, TVs Headrest, 5% tint, Hide-Away Gooseneck
Old 01-25-2013, 09:18 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

put some elect grease on it. It might just be some dirt or water in it. I have had that happen a few times. The other option is it may be the controller. I had one go bad before. If you do a search on youtube they explain how to test the controller. It is something like cutting the blue wire and testing with a test light. I dont remember off hand but that is how I found out my controller went bad.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:01 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Does it look like this?

Either way take a test light and stab the blue wire coming out of the back of it and see if it says connected and try stepping on the pedal and see if it lights up. If it doesn't you have a bad controller. If it does try plugging the trailer into the rear hitch plug (I'm assuming you have one) and see what happens. Do you still have the factory style snap on the back 7way and is your plug in the bed a nice plug in T kit or is it spliced in?
Old 01-26-2013, 05:59 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

No, its not that controller. But i went out this morning plugged in the trailer for shits and giggles and what do you know the brake controller reads connected and everything works

Old 01-26-2013, 01:04 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

It may be the first signs of the controller going bad.From my experience.
Deere1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 01:10 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Are you sure it works off of pedal pressure? That is the only one I know of that is still in production (besides the factory controllers). That's the best part of the factory controllers, it's too bad they're not compatible with all electric over hydraulic brakes.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:32 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

I think the OP's just describing a proportional controller versus a cheap timer based controller.
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"

Hook'em_Horns! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.