Do I need my CDL??? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 09:33 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Do I need my CDL???

I have looked up on the ca dmv website, and i couldnt find where it said anything about needing a CDL for receiving compensation even if you are under 10,001 lbs. I will be pulling a 24" gooseneck enclosed car trailer, it weighs roughly 2800 lbs, and has 10k lb gvwr. I plan on using a dually to pull it with, and there will not be any form of advertising on the truck or trailer. I work in the tv/film industry, specifically manufacturer automotive commercials/media, so when there are commercials, i will be using my equipment and during downtime i will be basically hotshotting high end vehicles around, shuffling them and whatever other clientelle i can muster up through connections. I also have someone who is willing to put me under their insurance, it is a logistics company for a very high end car co. For the last 10 yrs i have pulled 1 car enclosed trailers all over the western portion of the united states and have never had a problem, knock on wood, especially the fact that im using a pickup truck, which is illegal to pull into truck scales... i dont see a real problem other than wanting to be correct rolling down the road. On the ca dmv cdl handbook, the very first section states: "who needs a cdl" and nowhere in that section does it state anything pertaining to needing one for compensation if under 10k lbs, i am going to the dmv just to confirm tomorrow, but i wanted to see what you all had to say to that. I also will be forming an s-corp if i can i plan to build and sell classic restomods as well. thx for reading. any and all input is much appreciated thx brettler
calikid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2013, 09:41 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

You should be under 26K even with a 2011+ truck. DOT goes by GVWR not actual weight as far as needing a CDL. You will need a med card, commercial insurance, DOT Number, MC Number. But yes you will have to stop at scales, not sure where you saw that its illegal in a pickup, used to do it all the time. Cali laws may be a little different, but not to different. Are you gonna run out of state at all? Its best to be legal, then to risk it and get caught and have to pay the fines/jail time.

Cayenne is the man on here to talk to.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
2008 GMC 3500HD CC LB DRW 4x4~Westin Step Bars, WeatherTech Floor Liners, Antenna "Delete", Plasti Dipped Grill and Emblems and Rims, Leveled, Funky Gear Rims, Nictane Adapter with Donaldson and Clear Bowl, 3" Magna Flow Down Pipe, 5" Diamond Eye Exhaust Dumped, EFI By Kory, Crobra 29LTD WX/BT/NW CB, Dual 4' Firesticks, Recon Roof Lights, Reese Pro Series 15K 5th Wheel Hitch

1985 Chevy C20 RCLB 350 4 Bolt, 4 Barrel Carb, 4.10 Gears, 8600 GVW, Glass Packs Dumped, Pig Skin Leather, Bed Mounted 5th Wheel, Dual 20 gal Tanks, 62,146 Miles, Indian Bronze and Cream~Rolled

DF DRW Club Member 129

Goose2448 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2013, 10:10 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

^^ no cdl yes on med card dot numbers ect.

And i concure you will need to stop at all weight and inspection stations. And no it is not illegal to pull in with a pick up everything commercial (for hire) over 5 tons must pull in or be ticketed for skipping (large fine). If you are only pulling a car though you will prob be green lighted thru the scales and be on your merry way.
(Used to be a profesh cdl driver)

And since you will have to run dot numbers do not mod the dpf system they will check for it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

PPE Boost valve
5th Wheel
Transfer Flow 55gal. Aux Tank
Air Dog II 165
DRP Intake Horn
middlerivermerk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2013, 11:24 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

First off OP you wont be under 10k with that rig, depending on the year and style of truck you will be sticker weighted at 20 to 23k, which means you do not need a cdl but since you are doing it for hire you will have to register your truck commercially, get a ca dot number or usdot number if you cross state lines, you will also have to have a dot med card and commercial insurance. You also have to have your dot and mc numbers posted on the sides of your truck in block letters atleast 2" tall. You will be required to run a log book when you are loaded even without a cdl, if you get a cdl you have to run logs loaded and unloaded. You say a company will put you on their insurance, you have to be careful because when companies say they will put you on their policy they usually mean on their cargo policy, the 100k the feds require, you still have to put the 1 million dollars insurance on your truck, it is smart to get both insurances throught the same under writer because if you dont and you have a wreck the 2 under writers will fight each other in court and you will be caught in the middle.

Im not sure who told you that it is illegal to go through the scales in a pickup but they dont have a clue what they are talking about. If you haul commercially, which is for hire, YOU ARE REQUIRED BY LAW TO STOP AT SCALES. We have a 2500 and you can see our loads in my hauls thread and we are required by law to stop at scales. Asking the dmv will get you fined real quick, none of them will give you the same answer, you need to buy a current fmcsa handbook and study it, and be able to back, in writing, the laws at the scales.

Some states like Nebraska for example, and there are others that do this to, ANY VEHICLE PULLING A TRAILER MUST STOP AT THE SCALES. Every state is different, we have been to 36 states in the past year and 99.9% of them will make you stop at the scales, even California, we haul trailer to the port in los Angeles.

Goose is right on the gvwr, you have to keep your sticker weight under 26k and you also have to be careful to keep your actual weight under 26k also.

By not going cdl, you get to skip running a log book empty and since they changed the laws you dont have to pay ifta now. You also get to dodge some other fees and hassles but im not going to go into those since you wont be cdl weight anyway.
Cayenne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013, 12:41 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

thx for the responses, and yes i get that i was misinformed about the scales, so no need to keep beatin me up over it. thx for all the informative stuff as well
calikid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013, 02:36 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

According to the CA DMV the definition of commercial vehicle as follow 13.000 Commercial Vehicle Definition (CVC 260) and from that you would need CDL.

I have a noncommercial class A because of the weight rating of my toy hauler. The main reason I got it because I have read stories on some off-road forums stating how their insurance policy did not cover them in an accident at fault or not because they were driving out of class. I do not know how much truth is behind these stories but I rather not chance it.

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4wd CCSB
6-8" CST lift w/ King shocks,
325/60/20 Nitto Terra Grappler on 20" XD monster wheel
EFILive tuned ecm by Idahorob dsp5
5" Flo-Pro straight exhaust
ProFab downpipe
EGR block plate

Last edited by Dmax R1; 07-03-2013 at 02:41 AM.
Dmax R1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013, 08:41 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

If you are asking if you need a special license, permit, or anything else that requires paying the government and being regulated AND you live in California, the answer is always "YES".
Edge Juice w/Attitude - 4" straight pipe (shaved the muff and killed the kitty) with 5" tip - Blocked EGR - triple guage pod (Aux Fuel, Air Bags, Boost) - air bags w/compressor and 2 gallon air tank - train horn - tint (5 back/15 front) - custom grill - pace roll-top cover - 28 gallon aux fuel tank (gravity feed) - Pioneer AVIC-D3 in dash DVD/GPS/Bluetooth unit with XM Nav Traffic - metra on-star adaptor - PAC SWI-PS steering wheel remote interface - 2 10" MTX subs with Rockford amp - head rest monitors - passenger visor monitor - viper remote start - 07 mirrors (w/ DIY leveling) - DIY pre-OEM Cat fuel filter - boost stick - AEM Brute Force CAI - 20" black spoke KMC wheels mounted with 305x50x20's
premis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013, 02:17 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmax R1 View Post
According to the CA DMV the definition of commercial vehicle as follow 13.000 Commercial Vehicle Definition (CVC 260) and from that you would need CDL.

I have a noncommercial class A because of the weight rating of my toy hauler. The main reason I got it because I have read stories on some off-road forums stating how their insurance policy did not cover them in an accident at fault or not because they were driving out of class. I do not know how much truth is behind these stories but I rather not chance it.
You don't have to have a cdl to drive a commercial vehicle, I will look at the ca standards and report back.
Cayenne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013, 03:01 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DIESEL MANIAC!!!
Lifetime Supporting Member

state of minnesota and north dakota state if towing a trailer for commercial purposes with a 10,000lb gvrw or higher requires a class A CDL

2011 GMC 2500hd LML all stock with XD rims, Level Kit and HID HIGH/LOW beams

Sold - 2008 Chevy K3500HD CC/LB LTZ with LMM Dmax

Sold - 2004 Chevy K2500HD Ext. Cab/LB w/ LLY Dmax
KSL667 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013, 03:28 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

In Idaho I believe you must stop at the scales and you must have a CDL if pulling a trailer over 10,000 lbs. I know this because I have had class A CDL for while now and I am also aware that the Idaho State Police show no mercy drivers who do not follow the rules, even if you are not aware of them.
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500 HD Crewcab, Duramax, Z-71 (4x4),Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, EGR fender flares, Century cap with interior carpet, BedRug, S & B cold air intake, stainless nerf bars, Banks DPF back Monster Exhaust, GM Under rear seat box, Edge Insight CTS Monitor with back camera hooked to boat trailer, no performance mods to come warranty still in place.
idamainer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.