Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Quest for Ultimate Hotshot Truck

106K views 569 replies 41 participants last post by  chevor 
#1 · (Edited)
My build for a truck that can haul / tow almost anything. A lot of what I have done already is just for show.
Starting out with a 2013 Chevy LT Cab & Chassis with 9' aluminum flatbed.

Added front mud flaps running boards.

Bug shield from Stampede added and screened the front grill

Eliminated rear mud flaps add fenders under bed and mud flaps added to fenders

AT Tires were removed and Bridgestone R500 tires added. Along with TST tire monitor system with internal sensors.

http://tsttruck.com/product/tst-507-internal/
Rear window graphic added

To do next is to mount 115 gallon fuel tank on bed and add CB antenna.

See less See more
#66 ·
Nice, Chevor what oil do you run? I need to check into that bypass.

#67 ·
Don't you read your own threads?
Delvac. Mobile runs a promotion twice a year. $25 rebate per 5 gallon pail on two pails. So I get $100 back a year on 4 pails of Delvac. Where I get it thats under $40 for 5 gallons.
I run 15w-40 Delvac in temps above 0, switch to Rotella 5w-40 for subzero temps. On the 2010 with the bypass I average about 18,000 miles on oil changes checked with oil analyzes. I buy them at Petro Truck stops service area. I don't like to see soot over 1% so thats my limit.

The 2013 I see elevated cooper and silicone one first 3 samples. I'm limiting oil changes to 5,000 miles until oil reports improve.

One thing you have to be careful about with the NUC Bypass is the Braided hose is like a file on anything it touches. I put a hole in a brake line. Ended up sleeving it in rubber hose to prevent more mishaps.

#68 ·
LOL, I do read my threads daily but as I get older tend to be forgetful also, forgive me, Thanks for all the info as I am impressed with your rig and miles as well as a few others on here...Just trying to model mine after you high mileage guys...Take Care....Thanks Again

#70 ·
Yea I 've been looking at Transfer tanks even for what I'm doing now, doing a lot of 5th wheel RV'ing here & there....but currently still working regular job. After 32 years of playing with powerlines looking for something else with this bustedup a** body.In the near future...this is why I ask soo many questions.....Thanks

#71 ·
:andy 1998 GMC Sierra C/K3500 4x4 Crew Cab SLT with 6.5 diesel and 5 speed manual
Mileage: 157,842

Place wants $10k for this. Seems high but thats a good looking truck. I wish GM would still build vehicles spec'd like this.

#72 ·
Clean, what hp / tq does it have?

#74 ·
:help Intercooler pipe on 2013.

WTF my 2010 with 660,000 has no rust on pipe. This truck only has 30k on it.

Driving on snow covered roads..Growing a beard.

A cold day. First this

Then this happened after backing up

Guess I have the mud flaps to close to the ground. Luckily didn't crack the fenders.

#75 ·
What Fuel Additive do run at -32? Thanks

#76 ·
I have been dumping a bottle of Howes in at every fill up. I say about 150 gallons. Bottle reads treats 320 gallons above zero F, 160 gallons below 0 F.
I always carry extra fuel filter and bottle of 911 de-geler just in case.

#77 ·
Thanks for info , I live in Fla. and have been testing Fuel additives and have polls going...but for real life seat of the pants I have tried Howes Meaner Power Cleaner and it works excellent !

#79 ·
How do you like the rancho shocks in comparison to stock? I have 206k on my 2013 DRW, and it is starting to give me a little bit of a harsh ride up front. Been thinking of swapping shocks. Truck is a hotshot truck, and tows all the time anywhere from 20-30k out back.

#80 · (Edited)
The rancho 9000 is twice the diameter of the stock set. I have ran on my 2500 for almost 400k. The adjustable aspect makes them great for towing. Had to change the rear out about 100k ago. One was leaking. Haven't added to my dually yet. Might try Bilsteins for the bigger truck.

#81 ·
Frame painting.

Original Coating coming off in chips.

How did those leafs get in there?

Bought Chassis Saver for $40 a quart

Painted

#82 ·
how well do you have to clean the frame before applying the undercoating? What did you use to clean it and prep it?

#83 ·
Not as good as I should. I just try to get the dirty off and wire brush what I can reach. Rust is just at the surface at this point. I don't see it as much of an issue compared to a much older vehicle where the rust is penetrating the structure.

#85 ·
I thinking maybe I should go without the bed. I have one of these I bought for $1100.

32,000 lb. Gross Trailer Weight
8,000 lb. Pin Weight.
Fits Pre-drilled mounting holes on most medium duty trucks.
Heavy Duty 4-way pivoting hitch head with safety lock
Shipped Direct (or to shipping facility near you) Fully Assembled
3 Year Limited Warranty

I never mounted. Planed on putting it on the flatbed but haven't. I thinking of buying a trailer like this:

I want to put campers on the top so as low as I can get the trailer is ideal.

#86 ·
Is that an RV size kingpin on that trailer? Most of the trucks I see with a trailer like that have a commercial 5th wheel. I can't remember the sizes, but aren't commercial 3"?

#88 ·
#89 ·
Chevor, man you got a good lookin truck! Been on your thread before, but finally read all the way thru.
Have you ever considered water meth?

#90 ·
I stay way from engine upgrades. I don't really trust myself. I thought of turning the speed limiter down to keep myself out of trouble.

#91 ·
Making a maintenance record before I forget.
2,700 miles - Bridgestone R500s 235/80/17s placed on truck
5,171 - oil changed
10,461 - oil changed
18,449 - oil changed, Trans filter changed
25,279 - oil changed
30,728 - oil changed, fuel filter changed, tires rotated, front switched with 2 spares, rears moved flopped left to right inside to outside. Added finer gray fiberglass screen just in front of radiator.

Tried black plastic screen in front of grill on other truck and it just restricts too much air. Then tried this after removing and cleaning out the radiator. Much better. Its easier just to remove the screen when it fills with bugs than it is pulling the radiator gummed up.

#92 ·
I've been wanting to do that. Is that just window screen?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.