Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Quest for Ultimate Hotshot Truck

106K views 569 replies 41 participants last post by  chevor 
#1 · (Edited)
My build for a truck that can haul / tow almost anything. A lot of what I have done already is just for show.
Starting out with a 2013 Chevy LT Cab & Chassis with 9' aluminum flatbed.

Added front mud flaps running boards.

Bug shield from Stampede added and screened the front grill

Eliminated rear mud flaps add fenders under bed and mud flaps added to fenders

AT Tires were removed and Bridgestone R500 tires added. Along with TST tire monitor system with internal sensors.

http://tsttruck.com/product/tst-507-internal/
Rear window graphic added

To do next is to mount 115 gallon fuel tank on bed and add CB antenna.

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks good. What webbing did you use for the grill? I already had to pay $480 for a new trans cooler on my 2013 after it got damaged by something driving to Houston

#3 ·
I never liked that GM put that huge gap in the bumper with no guard or how big the gaps are in the grill.

Its 1/4 galvanized Screen. Called Hardware Screen found at local farm and fleet store. I have a piece of scrap metal shelving to keep the screen in the bumper in place. The screen on the grill is cut around the stock grill and tied on with galvanize tie wire.

#4 ·
I installed a cheapo $35 grill (ebay) in front of my trans cooler after the new cooler was installed. Painted the cheap grill black since it was polished. I don't plan to keep the 13 much longer and will drive my 08 from now on, so might start looking into putting some screen in the front of the 3500 after I remove the bugs and dead bird from in there

#7 ·
#6 ·
Nice Kodiak.

Reactions: Sierraluva
#10 ·
Chrome mirror and louver covers. Parked next to the 2010.

I'm thinking of attempting to chrome paint lower trim piece on front and roof cab lights.

#11 · (Edited)
How do you think this looks? I painted a old roof marker changed out from the other truck before I attempt this for real.

#13 ·
What have you done mechanically for more power and mpg? I have done a few things to my tow rig but always looking for more power and cooler EGT's....

Attachments

#14 ·
I'm really not a power junkie. My attitude is more power = more problems. Besides more filtration to fuel and oil I leave the engine alone. I tried the oiled air filter on my 2010 but it got to a point filters weren't affective after cleaning truck would throw MAF codes. Back to stock air filter and problems went away. I have a FASS for the new truck. A 95HD, it gives better throttle response and pre filters the fuel. So stock fuel filters last way longer. I might add a oil bypass filter not sure which one to choose.

For MPG I think tires are huge, Highway tires aired up. Also slower speeds. I tend to drive 60 mph when pulling and 65 max when empty.

#16 · (Edited)
I use the Amsoil 110 Bypass filter mounted horizontal on drivers side outside of frame rail. Servicing is super easy...and install was a piece of cake with the oil filter sandwich adapter and billet oil cap return.

#17 ·
Installed CB antenna today. But not sure on where to access the Cab. I know of 2 spots One is rear vent on back of cab, thats where I ran into the 2010. The other is under hood through firewall near steering wheel. Is there anywhere else thats better?

Used stainless heavy duty mount drilled hole in center of headache rack. Have a Wilson 5000 antenna. The tip reaches 11' 4" off the ground. And an 18' Wilson cable.

#19 ·
Is there anywhere else thats better?
The plug in the floor on either side front is large enough to angle in without a kink?

#18 ·
#20 ·
Since when was a truck plastered with cheesy cheap/fake chrome everywhere considered an "ultimate" hot shot truck? If anything you are bringing more attention to yourself...which is the complete opposite of what you want when hauling loads

#21 ·
WOW guess you have never seen Public service let a nice clean truck go while pulling in a nasty dirty truck? In all the years I ran over the road. Each time I was pulled in was because of a nasty truck. When all the chrome was shinning and clean I got the pass or green light.
For most of the Owner Opreators clean and chrome makes them a living. Shoot even got a lot of loads because the truck looked good.:drink

Reactions: chevor
#24 ·
You need a Tanker endorsement for that, no?

#26 ·
I don't think he does as long as it's 119 gal or under. Plus, he should be fine since it's not a transport tank, but to supply the truck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#27 ·
Your right, for some reason I thought it was 109 gals. And I just took that endorsement today. Hahaha

#28 ·
I like how you bought a Dually, but have to haul lighter trailers with it over the 2500

#31 · (Edited)
Im trying to get into the Dodge market on pulling campers. I lost count how many of those with a Dodge dually are pulling campers under 20'. With my 2500 I seem to aways be pulling Campers 30' or longer.

From what I have heard. With the Dually I am limited to GVWR of trailer plus the truck GVWR, 13,200 not exceeding 26,000 plate. Basically can't haul trailer with GVWR over 12,800 pounds with dually Commercially.

I wanted to avoid IFTA and higher CDL requirements.

#29 ·
I'm trying not to damage the bed so thats why the rubber mat and bolting to the headache rack. I plan gravity feeding to both bottom tanks. Mainly because of recall on the rear tank transfer pump and the truck only having one gauge for both the tanks. Because of that I worry about pump failing and leaving me stranded in middle of nowhere.

#30 ·
That's what I did, except I added a little inline pump cause when the tank in my bed gets half empty it doesn't gravity feed anymore. Just hooked it to a toggle switch in the cab.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#32 ·
I noticed that as well. Long and light is what ya need. I have thought about doing this, just haven't. Maybe later in life when I don't have to worry about bills.

Do you have on board air?

#33 ·
I don't know how long I'm gonna have a dually like this. I tend to think its a better option to build a truck with a sleeper on it and adding a second driver. If the Feds mandate Electronic logs. I see that being the only legal option to make some money.

#34 ·
Or step up to the big rigs. You can get around electronic logs ya know...

#37 ·
I not ready to take that step. I think there is too many on the road who see a large commercial vehicle and think "Meal Ticket".

#35 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.