Pulling Fifth Wheel at Max towing capacity? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2010, 08:43 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Pulling Fifth Wheel at Max towing capacity?

Looking to upgrade my travel trailer to a 5th Wheel. Dry weight is 11800. According to the book, max 5th weight for my truck is 14200. I done the math and the 5th loaded would be right at my max. Should I be concerned with pulling my truck at max load for an extended period of time? What mods can I add to ensure I don't pull the guts out of my truck? Wife wants the Rv bad even told me to trade my truck for a new 3500. I don't want the extra payment.

New to the forum and this is my first post so thanks.
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2010, 09:04 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

You won't pull the guts out. You may find that with the pin weight at or just over 2k lbs that Air Springs will be an added benefit, but that's about it for extras to consider, as long as your running 10-ply tires.
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"

Hook'em_Horns! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2010, 03:28 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

I regularly tow my fifth wheel in my signature. My truck is a dually. Recently I pulled a similar 5ther with a 2500 and the difference is night and day. Not near as stable. Meeting HDT rigs would make it squirrelly. It had air bags too.
2012 Chevy 3500 dually work truck Towing 2003 Teton Grand Freedom 5ther weighing 19,620 lbs. Traveling the USA welding pipe, repairing plants, building new ones & really enjoying God's beautiful country.
bpe1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2010, 05:49 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

I pull a 35' Montana, 13K lbs loaded, with my 3/4 ton and I have never had a problem. But the Ride Rite airbags are a must. They really help level it out and keep the bouncing to a minimum. I also run my programmer on the lowest setting, like 50 hp and that helps a bit too. 10 ply (E load rated) tires are a must as well. You wont have any problems, but it will pull differently. Remember your pretty much pulling a house behind you! But I actually found that pulling a pull behind is far more squirrely than pulling my fifthwheel. Also, just some advice is to take it easy until you really feel comfortable. I have pulled my fifthwheel over 15K miles and never had a problem. Duallys would help but I dont find it necessary unless you plan on pulling your trailer across country or pulling every weekend.
Tankercomm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2010, 06:02 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

We pull a 40 ft 5th wheel that is 16,000lbs. The only thing we have moded on the truck to pull it is airbags and E rated tires.
Mods:EFI Live, GA Diesel Stg. 4, Garmon Custom Converter, AirDog II, EPR s464, EPR 5" intake, EPR 3" IC tube, EPR 3.5" Downpipe, RDL pedestal, Turbo Performace blanket, MBRP 4" exhaust, Silverline 6" Black Stainless stack, Autometer Cobalt boost/pyro, Modified 6" Fabtech, Fabtech traction bars, PPE sleeves, Cognito braces, Rancho shocks, 35" Mickey Thompson ATZ, 20" ProComp Extreme
472/941-Stock Charger
Thanks Harley, Phil @ Georgia Diesel, Trent Nell @ Extreme Prejudice Racing, Jason @ 4 Wheel Parts, Levi @ Turbo Performance Products
Georgia Diesel
706-356-2174
GeorgiaDuramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2010, 06:12 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Thanks, follow up question. I have the stock 245/75/16's on it right now and they are about done. If I go to the 265 or 285 how much will that affect my towing capacity.

thanks for the feedback.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:20 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

the bigger tire with a same size rim will have greater load capacity and tires will run cooler.
nickracer9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2010, 06:59 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

I am more concerned about changing gear ratios and losing HP. How much HP do I stand to lose by going from a 29 inch tire to rought 32.5 inch tire?

Thanks
Old 03-29-2010, 07:03 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

This is what I am towing now - jumped from an 11,000 lb total weight to this 14,500 lb beast. To say I don't notice a difference would be a lie. Definitely feel more weight back there but pulls the thing ok. Wouldn't worry about your power train (your 3/4 ton has the same engine/tranny as the big dually). Definitely get airbags or else your springs will really be hurting and make sure you have good E-rated tires. Also, compared to what others have said I don't feel any instability or sway while towing (fifth wheels are inherently stable while towing). I'm sure a dually would be better to tow with but can't expect to make 2 big upgrades at the same time unless you crap money. So make the camper upgrade and down the road when it is time to get a new truck consider if you want a dually then or are happy with how your 3/4 ton handles the weight.

Inferno 2.jpg

'09 Inferno 3812 Toy Hauler
dieseldoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2010, 07:09 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

I have 285/75R16s on my set up and didnt hurt it at all.
Tankercomm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.