Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Kow's Hotshot Thread

1M views 15K replies 214 participants last post by  nashguy207 
#1 ·
Had some requests for pictures and fuel Econ numbers for my big hauls. So here it is. I'll do my best to keep adding to this thread with all the heavy hauling I do.

Reactions: deamara6
#2 ·
For starters. Here is my heaviest load yet and probably my heaviest load ever.
Gross combined weight 41,680.
Truck weight at ~8,600.
So 33,080 pounds pulled.

Averaged 6.8 on rolling Florida/Georgia road. Could only maintain 55 in 4th gear to keep temps down. Would never tow this weight again if I can help it.

Text Font Menu Ticket

Vehicle Transport Mode of transport Truck trailer truck

#6 ·
For starters. Here is my heaviest load yet and probably my heaviest load ever.
Gross combined weight 41,680.
Truck weight at ~8,600.
So 33,080 pounds pulled.

Averaged 6.8 on rolling Florida/Georgia road. Could only maintain 55 in 4th gear to keep temps down. Would never tow this weight again if I can help it.

Could you relax at all on the drive? or was the whole trip intense?

#4 ·
Sub'd

Reactions: kowclub173
#11 ·
Kowclub do you have a DOC or DPF in place?

#319 ·
#15 ·
Loaded heavy again.
Bobcat s185. 6600lbs
Bobcat min track 7200lbs
Pallet of metal spikes 3000lbs
Stacks on 2x4 and 4x6 1000lbs?

Trailer 9k

Total estimated weight towed: 26,800

Towed "fine" on flat to medium hills but I was pulling through the mountains of Tennessee and she did not like it. Was down to 15mph on one hill. Coolant hit 248 degrees. Trans temp hit 240. If I knew better I would have taken a different route as i think I took the steepest hills possible. Either way it was no Bueno.

Really hoping I didn't ruin anything with those temps.

Vehicle Construction equipment Transport Bulldozer Soil

#18 ·
Strongly considering 4.10 gears. I slipped my trans once so I'm not sure if I should save for a build or just get the 4.10's first. When I get a built trans I can start using the full potential of my 3794, which will hopefully help me get up the hills easier.

#12,442 ·
Did you ever get the gearing? Also when your trans slipped did it throw codes ?

#19 ·
What was the fuel mileage with the last load? I'm going to guess in the neighborhood 6-7 with those hills.

Is your truck 4wd?
I have 4.10's in my truck and would actually like a little lower for loads like this, like a 4.30. But 4.30 isn't an option for the front diff for the 4wd trucks.
I opted to just use a bigger truck for loads like this after 2 experiences like yours. Like you said it's the mountains that make it a fun ride, does great on flat ground. I never get the luxury of moving equipment on flat ground where I'm at, so I gave up moving loads like this with my pickup.

One of these days I'm going to experiment with making a lml fan clutch work on the older models. I think it would really help lower temps if you could manually lock in the fan at the bottom of the hill before it gave the temps a chance rise.

If you want to give the 4.10's a shot I have a set for sale for the rear:D

#21 ·
Yeah I'm 2wd. What do you want for the gears? Do you have all the bearings that go along with it? I'm already afraid the 4.10's will be a bit annoying when I'm towing an empty trailer. 4.30's would be really nice when towing heavy though.

#25 ·
Iv plugged the numbers into an rpm calculator many times. I think I'll be pulling the trigger on the 4.10's once I have the funds. The 3794 set me back quite a bit. lol

#30 ·
Forgot the get the picture with both of them on their.

2 containers 5k each.
Trailer 9k

Total towed 19k
Fuel econ high 8's low 9's
Hard to judge since I was stuck in traffic for a lot of it.

Transport Trailer Vehicle Shipping container trailer truck