Using the "M" on the Allison Transmission - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2008, 01:36 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Using the "M" on the Allison Transmission

Ok, I am new to the diesel truck and the Allison Transmission. I see that the M is used when pulling a trailer. My question is When is the most appropriate time to use this feature. I will be going to Colorado in June and will be crossing over Cinnamon Pass that drops into Lake City. I have been told by most folks that once you go down this pass you will not want to go down it again. I am thinking that this is purpose for this feature. I can use all the help I can get concerning towing my 5th wheel through the mountains and how this feature can help.

Thanks

2007 Duramax LB with Old body style
No modifications at this time
Roughly 20,000 miles
Duramaxcop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2008, 01:39 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporting Member

Most of the time Tow/Haul mode will do everything that you want it to do with the grade braking feature. If you wanting to put it in M mode to hold a gear longer then it wouldn't hurt a thing. The allison is a very smart tranny and will take care of itself, if you put it in M4 it won't let it over rev it will shift to 5 before it hurts anything, so i would say put it in tow/haul and take it easy at the top.

Welcome to the site!!!

:rockin2010 Camaro SS LS3 426 HP:rockin
BigRedChevy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2008, 07:12 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

M - is for manual

I tow a 5 th , and personally I dont find too many times that I need the manual control or the tow-haul mode .
Going through the mountains here in British Columbia , I will use the tow-haul mode when going up a very steep grade for some distance or use it when going down a steep grade where brakes alone may heat up.
You will love the Allison trany , its the only auto to have in a tow vehicle . ( or stay with a standard )
fenmor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2008, 07:28 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Save Water, Drink Beer
Supporting Member

I tow a large trailer most of the week and I have never had to use M. Tow/Haul mode takes care of everything. Good Luck and Welcome.

Full Bore Exhaust Manifold compliments of BD Diesel.

1987 Corvette

Crazy Larry. Get it Here.
http://www.mediafire.com/?g3mtmmjogkz
Landscapeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2008, 07:36 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

I was towing in "M" mode this past weekend...I used this mode in windy hilly roads where I knew my speed would be changing quite often...In my situation I felt there was no reason for my tranny to shift into 5th or 6th gear during this time because before I knew it I was decellerating down to 2nd gear so I set it in "M" 4...This just prevents it from shifting between gears so much which I think is easier on the tranny
Stock tuned, EFILive tunes by IdahoRob, PPE hot +2 e.t. , MBRP duals, Autometer pyrometer and boost gauges, EGR blocker plate, PCV reroute, transfer case pump rub kit, 5w-40 Shaeffer synthetic engine, Amsoil 75w-90 differentials, Amsoil ATF in transfer case, Opti-Lube XPD fuel additive, Transynd transmission fluid, 65,000 miles
pONSi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2008, 10:57 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Diesel Addict

the only time i used M mode is when i was running heavy roughly 25,000-30,000 pounds gross weight so on the hills i put it in M mode and shifted to 5TH gear to keep my EGT's down since i was running aftermarket HP.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:31 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Even though I have only towed my TT once, I used the M when I was decending a steep winding grade on a mountain road that I didn't want to get over 20 mph on. Otherwise, I just used T/H on the main roads. It works great!
Old 05-28-2008, 08:29 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

I live in Colorado and tow my 5th wheel in the mountains allot. I've found the T/H works great 90% of the time, automatically down shifting and applying the engine break on the down hill side of the passes. I use the M mode on the steeper, windyer roads that I feel I need more control on. I've descended many long steep grades by toggling up and down through the gears without having to use my brakes. It makes for a safe and comfortable decent.
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2008, 01:53 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

linzer truck lines inc
hotshottrucking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.