Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Electric Trailer brake question

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  chickendoc 
#1 ·
I need a little help.
I have a 2-axle aluminum horse trailer with electric brakes on all 4 wheels. In the way home from a rodeo on Sunday, while stopping at a stop light I looked back and noticed a lot of black smoke coming from the trailer tires. The smoke stopped when I let off of the brakes. I got pulled over at a gas station and noticed that the front tire on the passenger side of the trailer had a flat spot on it where it had been sliding. Obviously, the brake on that wheel had locked up while braking. The others seem to be operating properly. This came on all at once; it was not a gradual change. I don't know a lot about electric brakes so I was hoping for a little advice from some of you that are a lot smarter than me.
What are some things I could check out that could be causing only one out of the four wheels to lock up when the brakes are applied?
Thanks,
Doc

#2 · (Edited)
Jack trailer up on side with bad tire.See if it's sticking,not spinning freely.Rock tire at 3-6 o'clock,6-12,tells if wheel is loose or bad bearing.If all looks good then put the breaks on while jacked up.If bad tire won't spin but the other does,tells you your break pads are sticking,remove hub for inspection of pads and inside wall of hub.Well it could mean more but for you that's what I'd do.
Now if the pads are spreading out to hub they might need backed off so they don't lock up on you while breaking.Thats if you have drum breaks.Id suggest getting a mechanic to inspect them now and every 1k miles on straight runs or before every big trip.All depends on how often and mileage you do.All 4 need it be breaking the same,greased regularly and pads/hubs don't last forever.Thats what I'd look at but there are more variables

#4 ·
Thanks, I will try it and see how it goes.

#5 ·
The load was exactly the same on a dry road both ways. Never had this problem before.
Boy I wish I could see a wet road. It has been dry here!

#8 ·
Sounds like they are adjusted differently. I'd disassemble the skidding one and inspect. The adjust all 4 and see what gives.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Thanks Guys,
I plan to get started on it tonight! I'll let you know how it turned out in a day or 2.

#10 ·
Well I got everything apart last night and everything looked OK. The brake was engaging properly, but would not disengage when the brake pedal was released until I rolled the hub in reverse. I adjusted the caliper and didn't notice much of a change. I took the back tire off and it seemed to be doing about the same (but it was not locking up like the front one. I put it all back together and everything seems to be working as it should in my driveway but I wasn't able to do a road test. Maybe tonight.
My next question is; should the wheel "freewheel" immediately when the brake is released or should there still be some resistance?
Doc

#11 ·
It should be almost immediate, freewheeling. There will be SLIGHT resistance, like a scratching sound as the wheel turns. Maybe a light dab of grease where the shoes (you mentioned a brake caliper, thus indicating disk brakes, I assume you have drums) contact the backing plates. A light grease on THOSE points help everything work smoothly.

Also make sure the magnets are comparable on all 4 wheels. Look and see if the one in question is worn more than the others, as this can cause dragging.

#12 ·
Well I just adjusted all 4 brakes and nothing is hanging up so I think I should be okay for a while but I am going to have to replace all of the brake assemblies in the near future.
Thanks to everyone for your help!
Doc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.